Southern Highlands NSW to Cape York

Submitted: Saturday, Jun 14, 2014 at 11:10
ThreadID: 108240 Views:2378 Replies:7 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, Pen and I are off again next week to Cape York 6 weeks LC200 towing Camper Trailer.

Appreciate your comments on proposed trip and must see/do things. We plan on doing the Coast Road on the way back down

Travel Stops if we go inland a bit and visit Lawn Hill (don't know much about but seems lots of you have been). Nyngan, Tambo, Longreach to Lawn Hill, do we leave camper at Gregory Downs and pick up on the way out?

From Lawn Hill to Cape, Normanton to Dunbar to Artemis or Normanton via Georgetown? Upto the Cape via OTT and back via Bamaga Rd?

Must see Nat Parks?

Last Year we did the Kimberley and all tracks up and back, Easter this year We crossed the Simpson so we ok on 4WD.

Apprceiate your thoughts again or Recommended Trek notes (I couldn't see any for our proposed route).

Ian & Pen

Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought stupid than to open it and remove all doubt

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: wholehog - Saturday, Jun 14, 2014 at 11:46

Saturday, Jun 14, 2014 at 11:46
Take the camper to the top.

I notice you may not have a snorkle on your 200 series.

Have a think and research about that if your going to travel the Old Telegraph Track.
AnswerID: 534328

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Saturday, Jun 14, 2014 at 12:49

Saturday, Jun 14, 2014 at 12:49
Yes I have a mate up there this week and he has had water on his windscreen with some of the river crossings so I would be reluctant to do the OTT without a snorkel
FollowupID: 817926

Follow Up By: Bludge - Saturday, Jun 14, 2014 at 14:27

Saturday, Jun 14, 2014 at 14:27
Or a camper trailer.

I do not understand why people insist on towing a camper tailer through the OTT, it seems to be a badge of honour or something.

What it really is is an anchor

The camper is your accommodation, its has a value. It is also an anchor when driving the track. It irritates others when it gets stuck and block the progress or others (we tend to say that mate ship will overcome this, but really its just a pain), it can also cause strain and problems with the tow vehicle. It can also cause strain if you have your family with you. The top to Cairns is 1000km so unless you live up here you will have 1700 kms to get to Brisbane from Cairns, nd plenty more to Sydney and Melbourne possibly with a wet or damaged vehicle or camper.....

By all means take the trailer enjoy comfortable camping but do you need to drag it through the OTT?

You can do the OTT without pulling a trailer.

The first section of the OTT is 70kms long. The Development Road is 110kms back to Bramwell Station.
That is after you have had a swim at Fruitbat Falls or even at Twin Falls.
If you enjoy the OTT you can do it in reverse.

The next day I would take the camper he 110kms or so to the Twin/Elliot Falls and explore the northern section of the OTT which is only 45kms long plus about 11kms to get back to the Development Road then backtrack 62kms on the Development road to Twin/Elliot Falls. Don't forget to book Elliot/Twin falls camp site
Or camp just down the track at Sailors Creek.

This will allow you to tackle the OTT without a trailer or getting it damaged full or water or dust, or even getting you stuck. You will have a dry clean bed ready for you when you get back to camp.

Your call, but I call it planning and minimising risk.
FollowupID: 817930

Reply By: Idler Chris - Saturday, Jun 14, 2014 at 14:42

Saturday, Jun 14, 2014 at 14:42
For a number of reasons including safety I would not take a trailer up the Cape. More fun without an anchor hanging off the back. Best place to leave a trailer is the Mt Carbine CP its a great place and Robert there is a very interesting bloke and a gold mine of information. The cheapest fuel around there is in Mareeba at the BP depot in the back blocks, 24hrs self serve. You will have to google it or ask a local.
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 534337

Follow Up By: Idler Chris - Saturday, Jun 14, 2014 at 14:47

Saturday, Jun 14, 2014 at 14:47
Also in Mareeba the butcher near the hardware store has really good meat and will cryovac it.
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 817933

Reply By: toffytrailertrash - Saturday, Jun 14, 2014 at 16:52

Saturday, Jun 14, 2014 at 16:52
Diesel at Jardine and at the top was $2.40 per litre when we were there late last month.

Have a great trip

Merv
AnswerID: 534346

Reply By: Ian and Pen - Saturday, Jun 14, 2014 at 17:00

Saturday, Jun 14, 2014 at 17:00
Thank's for the replys to date a great source of info as usual. Since our Kimberley trip we have had a snorkel fitted and long range fuel tank also.

I agree with leaving camper and will now tent camp further up the OTT and Cape. We left our trailer at home when we crossed (Easter Sunday) the Simpson having read lots where trailers were certainly NOT encouraged. Must say though I reckon a good 50% of vehicles were towing camper trailers, some getting stuck on top of dunes.. No sign of a ranger to warn travellers either. Probably being Easter break he/she was perhaps having a break in Bali or Phuket or somewhere else exotic (not).
Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought stupid than to open it and remove all doubt

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 534347

Reply By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Saturday, Jun 14, 2014 at 20:10

Saturday, Jun 14, 2014 at 20:10
G'day Ian and Pen,

We have been to the Cape several times with our trailer and can say it is possible. Our trips have taken us over the whole OTT (except Gunshot), Verilya Point, Chilli Beach (via the Frenchman's track), Culleen Point, Punsand Bay and Cape Melville. Just the usual reservations about the trailer quality and going prepared.Lawn hill is a good visit and there are a couple of camping options there.

My only concern is 6 weeks is not a lot of time to cover that distance as there is a lot to see and do.

Kind regards
AnswerID: 534362

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Saturday, Jun 14, 2014 at 20:53

Saturday, Jun 14, 2014 at 20:53
Yes in that time period it might be better to concentrate on the peninsula area and leave Lawn Hill and surrounding area for another trip?
FollowupID: 817986

Reply By: Ian and Pen - Sunday, Jun 15, 2014 at 16:44

Sunday, Jun 15, 2014 at 16:44
Hi all and thank you. we have decided to leave Lawn hill until another trip based on your reponses, and will leave trailer before OTT and pick it up on way back down.

Once again good and helpful responses.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 534419

Reply By: Adrienne M - Friday, Jun 20, 2014 at 11:25

Friday, Jun 20, 2014 at 11:25
Interesting forum. Have been following and am also heading with camper. Thanks Bludge...will be following your advice.
AnswerID: 534676

Sponsored Links