Gascoyne Junction back in business

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 17, 2014 at 01:20
ThreadID: 108284 Views:1998 Replies:5 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Good to see that Gascoyne Junction townsite, pub, caravan park, general store and roadhouse has fully recovered from the disastrous floods of Dec. 2010 and Jan. 2011 - with a total relocation and rebuild - after they got an injection of $8M from the Nationals "Royalties for Regions" fund.

Not only has the entire town been relocated and rebuilt, they have a new $60M river levee at the Gascoyne that will protect not only the town and buildings of GJ against any further 1 in 100 yr flood - but it also protects the Carnarvon fruit and vegie farming land as well. Well done to all those involved.

New Gascoyne Junction redevelopment officially opened

The new Gascoyne Junction celebrates
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - sparra - Tuesday, Jun 17, 2014 at 07:21

Tuesday, Jun 17, 2014 at 07:21
g,day Ron, i will be out that way tomorrow,heading to geraldton this morning for shopping etc (from useless loop)then out through mullewa,throw the swag down around the murchison on the mullewa-carnarvon road,then on to the junction,will stop there for a beer and a feed,then home via carey downs,gilroyd and woodleigh stations.
It is good to see that the place is up and running again.

cheers sparra
no good being the richest man in the cemetry

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 534514

Follow Up By: Ron N - Tuesday, Jun 17, 2014 at 10:33

Tuesday, Jun 17, 2014 at 10:33
Sparra, that sounds like a nice little tour. I haven't been to the Gascoyne or inland Murchison for many years because of other demands on my time, but I love that country, particularly to the East of GJ.

Cheers, Ron.
FollowupID: 818173

Reply By: pop2jocem - Tuesday, Jun 17, 2014 at 08:48

Tuesday, Jun 17, 2014 at 08:48
Good to see the historic town re-built, Also very good to see someone had the foresight not to just re-build in the original location and that a levee bank has been built to protect flood prone regions.
I wonder how Carnarvon will fair next time a 100 yr flood comes calling?

Cheers
Pop
AnswerID: 534519

Follow Up By: Ron N - Tuesday, Jun 17, 2014 at 10:29

Tuesday, Jun 17, 2014 at 10:29
Pop, there were arguments and dissent about how the levee was positioned - but those in charge of its installation have stated it's not designed to totally protect every square metre of Carnarvon from another 1 in 100 yr flood - it's designed to MINIMISE the damage overall.

I don't imagine it would be possible to totally protect every square metre of Carnarvon with a levee unless you spent $300M. This levee appears to provide the best level of protection for the outlay.

The Gascoyne has an enormous size catchment area, and it's particularly flat.
Dad worked all through the Gascoyne in the 1930's. He and two other blokes got caught in a major flood in April 1934 on Three Rivers station.

They'd gone out on a fence repairing mission with a dray pulled by three camels, along with two horses they rode.
He reckoned they got 15" (375mm) of rain over 3 days in early April, from a cyclone, and the water rose to fencepost height for as far as they could see, in every direction.
He said the camels must have sensed a disaster, they just laid down and died, during the rain! Perhaps the sudden cold knocked them.

They climbed a nearby windmill tower and built a platform about 10' (3M) off the ground and were stuck there for nearly 3 weeks until the floodwaters subsided.
Luckily, they had enough food in the dray to survive O.K. - and there was no shortage of water!
When the flood started to subside a little, after nearly a fortnight, one of the blokes tried to get back to the homestead to let them know they were O.K., and he tried to swim the Gascoyne with his horse.

The Gascoyne was still deep and flowing rapidly, and the bloke got carried well downstream, and only just made it out.
He lost the horse completely, it was swept out to sea!
When they finally made it back to the station, with just one horse and two blokes on foot - the station owner abused the bloke for losing an expensive saddle!

Murchison-Wiluna Floods, 1934

Carnavon Floods 1934

M.L.A. Flood-bound for 13 days at Gascoyne River - walks 28 miles to reach Peak Hill

Cheers, Ron.

FollowupID: 818172

Follow Up By: rocco2010 - Tuesday, Jun 17, 2014 at 11:02

Tuesday, Jun 17, 2014 at 11:02
Ron

Great stories. Liked the links to the news reports from 1934.
Had to laugh at the thought of a MP stranded by flood and walking 28 miles.
Today's lot get a government car to go around the corner!
I was out in the Gascoyne region in mid may for my first visit there. Great country.

Cheers
FollowupID: 818175

Follow Up By: Echucan Bob - Thursday, Jun 19, 2014 at 16:00

Thursday, Jun 19, 2014 at 16:00
Ron

Thanks for that. My brother and I drove through there when we crossed the continent from Maroochydore to Carnarvon in 1998 in the Pajero. The GBH shook the steel roof rack until it broke. After Wiluna and Meekatharra I think we camped on the banks of the Murchison before heading up to Gascoyne Junction and then Carnarvon.

Bob
FollowupID: 818355

Reply By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Tuesday, Jun 17, 2014 at 09:45

Tuesday, Jun 17, 2014 at 09:45
We were in GG last September for Australasia Safari & the van park infrastructure was in place then but not open. The fuel bowsers were card only and would not accept EFPOS only credit card. I tried to use it as a deduction from my savings account and all I got was $5 worth. As soon as I twigged it was credit only then no problems got a full tank.

Cheers

Dunc
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 534522

Reply By: Member - blackbird1937 - Tuesday, Jun 17, 2014 at 20:27

Tuesday, Jun 17, 2014 at 20:27
Hi Ron. The pub, cafe, caravan park was officially opened at the weekend but has been operating for 14 weeks. We had a Bundy and Coke there on Monday 9th June. The whole establishment looks fantastic. The landscaping had just been finished that day. It will look great when the grass grows. We did 3362 kms around the Pilbara. Went to Mt Augustus, Paraburdoo, Tom Price, Hamersley Gorge, Wittenoom which was one of the highlights of the trip where we saw some Sturt's Desert Pea about 400 mm high flowering, also a Mulga snake which was not happy with us being on its home ground, Auski RH, Dale's Gorge, Newman, Capricorn RH, travelled through Jigalong where we saw a mob of about 15- 20 camels which did not wait very long to get their photos taken. We had to be back to Hamelin Pool Sunday night or we have had a more leisurely trip also further. For the 300 odd kms between Mt Augustus and the Nanaturra - Paraburdoo Rd we did not see any travellers or vehicles. We had a very enjoyable trip free camping 3 of the 6 nights. My partner had not been in that area before and thoroughly enjoyed our time in the bush.
AnswerID: 534552

Follow Up By: Ron N - Tuesday, Jun 17, 2014 at 22:54

Tuesday, Jun 17, 2014 at 22:54
Blackbird, that's good feedback, and that sounds like a great trip. You sure got around and saw plenty!
3362kms! Wow, that's only a little less than Perth-Melb, and only a little more than Perth-Kununurra!

I can recall coming back from Karratha, it must have July-Aug 1994 - it had been a terrific wet season, and the Sturt Pea were phenomenal! - they were over a metre high, and like rose bushes!
I have photos of them somewhere, I must dig them out.
I have never seen Sturt Pea like it before, nor since.

Cheers, Ron.
FollowupID: 818229

Reply By: get outmore - Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 12:34

Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 12:34
while its great its back up and going i understand the original owners were righ royally shafted in the process
AnswerID: 534574

Follow Up By: Ron N - Thursday, Jun 19, 2014 at 15:02

Thursday, Jun 19, 2014 at 15:02
QUOTE: "the original owners were right royally shafted in the process" ...

In what manner? - and what were their losses?
Were they shafted by Govt agencies? Or by a fuel company or other companies?

Our system of democracy and justice is designed to try and redress wrongs - but very often, you can only get a wrong redressed via the application of a vast amount of money - and if you've been shafted, then you have no money to start with.

The Adminstrative Appeals Tribunal is one of the worst organisations I have ever seen, for denying natural justice to people shafted by Govt agencies.
Google "John Quadrio" just to see what these organisations can do to destroy a person financially and emotionally, without any solid grounds for doing so.
FollowupID: 818352

Sponsored Links