The Anne Beadell & Sandy Blight Junction via Maralinga

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 17, 2014 at 09:16
ThreadID: 108288 Views:2689 Replies:11 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
In a few days, Friday in fact, we will be pointing “The Landy” down the driveway, TVAN in tow, and heading off for a trip across the Great Victoria Desert via Maralinga and the Anne Beadell Highway.

There has been rain throughout the area over the past couple of months and I understand there is a good covering of wildflowers;well fingers crossed anyway!

And if there is one mission that needs to be accomplished on this trip, well two, the first is having fun, the second important one is that we observe and photograph a “Thorny Devil”. Mrs Landy, Janet, my partner, has wanted to see one for years. Crikey, come to think of it perhaps it is the only reason she travels the outback with me – what happens if we do actually see one, is it game over?

Anyway…

We will be travelling back to Alice Springs via the Great Central Road and Sandy Blight Junction track, something we are very much looking forward to. And eventually across the Plenty Highway, Birdsville and home to Sydney...

Along the way I’m hoping to provide some detail of the trip via a blog on ExplorOz, and being a “wanna be photographer” hopefully some photographs that capture the wondrous beauty of Australia’s Outback.

You can read some more about our trip here.

And if you spot “The Landy” Out and About, it is a Toyota 79 Series Dual Cab (Strewth – and it’s called The Landy?) be sure to say hello, and if you’re lucky Mrs Landy may have just pulled some of her legendary camp oven scones off the coals!

As a footnote… “The Landy” came about as a consequence of owning three Land Rover Defenders, but as you can see this has now changed and yes, thank you, I've recovered fully!

And whilst I'm reluctant to refer to the new vehicle as “The Landy” that’s for sure; the owners’ of either brand would never forgive me!

But “The Landy” reference has stuck, so “The Landy” it is…

Cheers, Baz – The Landy
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Tuesday, Jun 17, 2014 at 09:32

Tuesday, Jun 17, 2014 at 09:32
Baz I thought you were the Thorny Devil in your wife's life. LOL
Well if you take your time we may pass on the ABH we should be there from the 7th July heading East, Maralinga a few days later.

Can you please drag a grader behind that T Van of yours for us it would be greatly appreciated?

Mate has an old 60's ute and he calls it a Landy, in his mind Landy is short for Landcruiser, no matter what we say will convince him otherwise.

Cheers

Dunc
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 534521

Follow Up By: The Landy - Tuesday, Jun 17, 2014 at 09:51

Tuesday, Jun 17, 2014 at 09:51
Hi Dunc

I suspect we will be well passed ABH by that time and up towards Sandy Blight Junction region...

And on Thorny Devils, she reckons the real thing is cute, not sure where that leaves me - with nowhere to go, I suspect!

Cheers and enjoy your trip...

Baz
FollowupID: 818169

Reply By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Tuesday, Jun 17, 2014 at 11:30

Tuesday, Jun 17, 2014 at 11:30
Baz, I suspect time of year (and temperature) has a lot to do with your chances of seeing a devil. I've been along the ABH twice during mid winter and not seen one - headed down the Connie Sue & ABH in September on a tag-along once, and we saw plenty of them on the side or sometimes sitting in the middle of the road.

Might need to head to warmer climes...

AnswerID: 534525

Follow Up By: The Landy - Tuesday, Jun 17, 2014 at 12:17

Tuesday, Jun 17, 2014 at 12:17
Phew...

I'll be happy to spend the next decade trying to see one!

Just don't tell Mrs Landy...

Thanks Scott, here is hoping anyway although I think you are spot on the money with the temperature being a barrier!

Cheers, Baz

FollowupID: 818181

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Tuesday, Jun 17, 2014 at 15:27

Tuesday, Jun 17, 2014 at 15:27
Maralinga Thorny Devil - sitting out on the bitumen.

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 818190

Reply By: TTTSA - Tuesday, Jun 17, 2014 at 13:15

Tuesday, Jun 17, 2014 at 13:15
Hi Baz, the only one i saw on a recent trip out that way was on the bitumen about 3km before theMaralinga Barrier, southern entrance. But it was definately worth it. 1st one I had seen ever. Have a great trip.

Peter
AnswerID: 534528

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Tuesday, Jun 17, 2014 at 15:22

Tuesday, Jun 17, 2014 at 15:22
I reckon Robin will be able to show you some. We saw a couple while at Maralinga last year. Amazing little animals.

Cheers,

Val.
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 818189

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Tuesday, Jun 17, 2014 at 18:52

Tuesday, Jun 17, 2014 at 18:52
Landy-cruiser + TVan + GVD in July sounds like a trip made in heaven!
Decent firewood out there , so no probs making scones.
Enjoy!
AnswerID: 534541

Follow Up By: The Landy - Tuesday, Jun 17, 2014 at 20:39

Tuesday, Jun 17, 2014 at 20:39
Hi Phil

Must say we are all looking forward to it greatly!

Cheers, Baz
FollowupID: 818216

Reply By: equinox - Tuesday, Jun 17, 2014 at 18:59

Tuesday, Jun 17, 2014 at 18:59
Hi Baz,

Good luck with your travels, I'm sure you will enjoy yourself out in the deserts.
Stay safe.

Cheers
Alan

PS here's my shot of a Thorny from the GBH.

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 534543

Follow Up By: The Landy - Tuesday, Jun 17, 2014 at 20:38

Tuesday, Jun 17, 2014 at 20:38
That is a great shot...

If Mrs Landy spots one she will be over the moon!

Cheers, Baz
FollowupID: 818215

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Tuesday, Jun 17, 2014 at 20:58

Tuesday, Jun 17, 2014 at 20:58
Here's a male and female together - found on the ABH on a trip in 2008. Female is bigger and lighter coloured.
AnswerID: 534556

Reply By: backtracks - Tuesday, Jun 17, 2014 at 23:38

Tuesday, Jun 17, 2014 at 23:38
Hi The Landy, had to message you, I too am off to the AB hwy this Friday ! Maybe I'll see you on the ring road ! ( mind you I dont know if you are in Melbourne ! ) I will be driving a red nissan gq wagon. We will be going hard the first 2 days then taking it easy.
Have a great time and hope to see you out there !
Cheers Ian.
AnswerID: 534565

Follow Up By: The Landy - Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 06:48

Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 06:48
Hi Ian

We are travelling from Sydney, via Port Augusta, Glendambo, and then to Maralinga and north to Emu for a westward crossing.

Cheers, Baz
FollowupID: 818239

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 21:20

Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 21:20
Hi Baz

You will have a fantastic time out there, trust me.

When you are on the Sandy Blight Junction Track, if you intent to go to the top of Mount Sir Frederick, make sure you unhitched you van at the turn off. Before you start heading up there, make sure you engage low range......you will see why, trust me. Do not throttle off near the top, as there was a large section that has been dug out and will catch you out if you are not expecting it.

The 360 degree views are unreal from the top and the visitors book was in a tin under rocks on the stone cairn.

You will love Maralinga and the Emu Road, and give my regards to my mate Robin. You will also have full Telstra phone reception along the road you are going, and full coverage at the top of the old pool and on top of the water tower in Maralinga.

Travel Safely.

Looking forward to your blogs
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 534598

Follow Up By: The Landy - Thursday, Jun 19, 2014 at 06:34

Thursday, Jun 19, 2014 at 06:34
Thanks Stephen

I think I'm running up as part of my mountaineering training! But either way, the vehicle will get a run up also...

Cheers, Baz
FollowupID: 818323

Reply By: danielleNwayne - Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 22:42

Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 22:42
Hi Baz

Can you please tell me the exact permits you got to cross the Anne Beadell. I have done research but its doing my head in. We are heading off along the GCR (which i already have permits for cause they were easy as) then the Plenty Hwy down to Birdsville then back to WA along the AB. It looks to me like you need a few permits for the AB. I am thinking we might just come home along the Nullabor.
Cheers

Danielle
AnswerID: 534603

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Thursday, Jun 19, 2014 at 00:33

Thursday, Jun 19, 2014 at 00:33
If you check the Treks page on here you will find the list and contact details for permits.

VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 818317

Follow Up By: The Landy - Thursday, Jun 19, 2014 at 08:21

Thursday, Jun 19, 2014 at 08:21
Hi Danielle

Don’t let it do your head in!!

Actually it is fairly straight forward and the permits you require will are issued by;

Maralinga Tjarutja Land Trust,
Australian Defence Department, and
SA Desert Parks Pass

My experience in having permits issued for this trip has been very easy, although some patience can be required, at times. The key is to get them in well ahead of the time you will be travelling, but even if you can’t, give them a call, the Ceduna Office of the Maralinga Trust are extremely helpful.

I have copied details below of the information on the EO Site, and a link to it follows.

Anne Beadell Highway Permits - EO Site

Good luck and enjoy!

Baz – The Landy

FollowupID: 818324

Reply By: Member - reggy 2 (VIC) - Thursday, Jun 19, 2014 at 16:17

Thursday, Jun 19, 2014 at 16:17
Sounds like Robin is going to be busy as there are 4 of us in our group traveling to Maralinga at about the same time we should be there 27-28th June.
Lets hope the rain stays away have to keep our eyes open for them little devils.
200 series with pod
Cheers hope to catch you on track
AnswerID: 534636

Reply By: Member - Leigh (Vic) - Thursday, Jun 19, 2014 at 16:27

Thursday, Jun 19, 2014 at 16:27
Hi Baz. From my previous trips I recall some caution is required along the last sections of the railway line heading toward Ooldea. Numerous crests with some significant washouts on the side of the road and they appear with little to no warning. If you are talking to Robin he may have an updated account from the warning he gave me a couple of years ago. Enjoy your trip and make sure you don't run over those little Devils, they should be around in good numbers. Cheers
AnswerID: 534637

Follow Up By: The Landy - Thursday, Jun 19, 2014 at 16:34

Thursday, Jun 19, 2014 at 16:34
Thanks for the heads-up Leigh...

I will actually spend some time running the ABH, soem that might actually give me a good chance to see them!

Cheers
Baz
FollowupID: 818357

Sponsored Links