Anne Beadell Highway

Submitted: Friday, Feb 27, 2004 at 13:50
ThreadID: 10841 Views:1782 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Guys,

Has anyone been down the Anne Beadell Highway with a campertrailer? We are thinking of going from east to west, in our turbo diesel troopy and an off road CT. I've read the trek notes, but there are no suggestions there. We won't be going until about May. Our other option is to go on the Great Central. What would you experienced people think?

Planning, planning ... can't wait to go travelling
Anne
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Luxoluk - Friday, Feb 27, 2004 at 14:19

Friday, Feb 27, 2004 at 14:19
Hi Anne

This months 4x4 Australia has an article on the Anne Beadell hwy which is quite interesting. The section from Neale Junction west to Laverton (which I did last year) would be easy for a camper trailer. A bit of sand and corrugations otherwise an easy section. I cannot comment on the section east from Neale Junction however. The hut at Yeo homestead is worth a stop for lunch or overnight.
Happy travelsButcher Country Track - Vic
AnswerID: 48389

Reply By: Member - Peter- Friday, Feb 27, 2004 at 18:15

Friday, Feb 27, 2004 at 18:15
I've towed my Cub supamatic east to west behind a diesel troopy, then headed north up the Connie Sue before looping back around the abandoned section of the Gunbarrel, GCR, then the rock.
We actually had 5 campers on the trip, bent/broke two axles, one leaf spring and a set of wheel bearings between the five, mine had no problems at all.
The same camper has been across the Gunbarrel twice to Carnegie without any problems.
The trick is to keep the trailer as light as possible, put water and any extra fuel in the truck, we only had clothes, bedding and a little bit of food in the camper everything else in the truck.
AnswerID: 48422

Reply By: Phil G - Friday, Feb 27, 2004 at 18:58

Friday, Feb 27, 2004 at 18:58
Main problem is the corrugations, particularly between Emu and Mabel Creek. I'd keep the tyre pressures down to soften it all out and make it easier on the suspension/axles etc.
AnswerID: 48427

Reply By: Member - Bob - Friday, Feb 27, 2004 at 20:34

Friday, Feb 27, 2004 at 20:34
Anne,
Mabel Creek to Vokes Hill corner with trailer no problemo. Go slow, deflate tyres, enjoy.Bob
AnswerID: 48439

Reply By: Member - Bruce (San Diego) - Saturday, Feb 28, 2004 at 11:23

Saturday, Feb 28, 2004 at 11:23
Anne,

There is an article on the Beadell Highways in the latest issue of "australian Geographic Magazine" #73 which would be of interest to you.
AnswerID: 48507

Sponsored Links