Simpson trip - finally...!!

Tomorrow (friday) I'm finally heading off on the trip I've been keen to do ever since seeing the Leyland Bros tear across the dunes on their 3 wheeled Honda 90s.. Have had a few false starts but this time I'll be ticking it off the bucket list..

Leaving Sydney, first stop Shepparton (family catchup), Lock 9 (ish) on the Murray, Flinders Ranges (2 nights only), Coward Springs, Marla, Uluru, Kings Canyon, Finke Gorge, Alice, Old Andado, Mt Dare, Dalhousie, then into the Simpson (around 14th July)..Birdsville, Innaminka, Cameron Corner, Tibooburra, Broken Hill, Willandra Nat Pk then home (4 weeks total).

Flying solo till Uluru (wife and kids decided against the cabin fever) then till Birdsville I'll be travelling with a great, great mate and his other half, haven't seen Dave for about 10 years so the trip will be an even bigger blast..

The old Prado (bought specifically for this trip 11 years ago, now with 312K on it) is champing at the bit..brand new rubber, all bar the front seats removed so packing was a pleasure, all the heavy stuff (what there is of it anyway) in between the axles for a change, Engel, compressor, TREDZ, snatch straps, sat phone and uhf all good to go..

Can you tell I'm excited?

Thanks to all the countless people who have given me heaps of advice and encouragement on planning and preparation and places to see on this and previous attempts at getting the trip off the ground..I know it's not exactly a CSR trip or anything as tough as what so many of you undertake, but I'm not treating it lightly either... Hoping that this is the first of many "serious" outback trips for me..

Hope to run into some of you on the way

Cheers and beers,
Rich

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Robin Miller - Friday, Jun 27, 2014 at 07:44

Friday, Jun 27, 2014 at 07:44
Thats wonderful Rich , you will make enough memories to last you till Leyland brothers get on the road again.

You will find more track issues on this trip than the CSR.
CSR is not hard unless , but rather an endurance test , unless one has fond memories of a deluge as we did !

Good to hear you have taken care to pack the Prado between the axles as much as possible , forethought and planning make these things a sucess.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 535067

Reply By: AlbyNSW - Friday, Jun 27, 2014 at 08:01

Friday, Jun 27, 2014 at 08:01
Sounds like a great trip and am sure you will love it.
It is wonderful country, the first time I went out there in 2010 I got to work at Sydney and only lasted two weeks before I had to get back in my ute and drive back out there again and have been going there twice a year ever since. Can't get enough of the place.

Enjoy!
AnswerID: 535068

Reply By: Les PK Ranger - Friday, Jun 27, 2014 at 08:52

Friday, Jun 27, 2014 at 08:52
Onya Rich, enjoy the trip, and hope weather is kind to you . . . it is certainly beaut country.
AnswerID: 535071

Reply By: Echucan Bob - Friday, Jun 27, 2014 at 11:49

Friday, Jun 27, 2014 at 11:49
Rich

Its an iconic trip, and the long wait will make you appreciate it even more.

I challenge you not to feel a real sense of achievement as you drive into Birdsville (and to the Hotel for a palate cleanser).

I'll keep an eye out for a well laden Prado passing through Echuca.

Have a great trip.

Bob
AnswerID: 535083

Follow Up By: RichieK - Friday, Jun 27, 2014 at 21:52

Friday, Jun 27, 2014 at 21:52
Thanks Bob. . Should be heading thru about 10am.. Wave like crazy!
FollowupID: 818946

Reply By: Outbackogre - Friday, Jun 27, 2014 at 15:34

Friday, Jun 27, 2014 at 15:34
I've been across the Simpson only once (Sep last year) and it was worth the wait. Have a wonderful and safe trip. regards, Rob.
AnswerID: 535097

Reply By: wholehog - Friday, Jun 27, 2014 at 18:34

Friday, Jun 27, 2014 at 18:34
Good luck Richie...nothing like a 1st time blast..I was excited on our 1st Simpson trip too.

Unfortunately this will lead you to wanting to do other desert and remote trips..you know that.. :o)
AnswerID: 535106

Reply By: Member - Lester77 - Friday, Jun 27, 2014 at 19:53

Friday, Jun 27, 2014 at 19:53
Know how you feel Rich.
I had a false start 11 years ago in my old patrol but will finally get out there for the first time in August. Very much like you, I am excited and can hardly wait!

Enjoy!
AnswerID: 535110

Reply By: RichieK - Friday, Jun 27, 2014 at 21:56

Friday, Jun 27, 2014 at 21:56
It seems my excitement is not lost on you all.. Thanks for the replies! I'm now enjoying my last night in a real bed for 4 weeks..
I'll be sure to post some stories from the trip.
Ciao for now!
AnswerID: 535114

Reply By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Saturday, Jun 28, 2014 at 01:24

Saturday, Jun 28, 2014 at 01:24
Richie I've got 6 days before we head of so know what you're on about.

Cheers

Dunc

Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 535125

Sponsored Links