Perth to Broome ideas suggestions please

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 29, 2014 at 11:12
ThreadID: 108534 Views:2339 Replies:5 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Hi There,
Looking to travel up to Broome soon, taking the inland route on the way up and the coastal route on the way back.

Intending to take approximately three days in both directions. Just my wife and I, no pets, no kids (leaving them at home), Landcruiser and a Tvan in tow, booked in at Broome caravan park.

Looking to stop off at either stations or places that aren't the main townships, just looking for pleasant places to stop off with general amenities. Not looking for hardcore off road treks, looking for peace, tranquillity and relaxation. It is a holiday after all. Taking the easy option being the blacktop.

Fairly recent personal experiences would be appreciated and not the next door neighbours best friends uncle that went there fifteen years ago.

Thank you very much for all responses I receive.

Keep the shiny side up

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Tjukayirla Roadhouse - Sunday, Jun 29, 2014 at 11:17

Sunday, Jun 29, 2014 at 11:17
I'm also interested in this thread, going on hols in September, we have 4 weeks to travel up and back. Same sort of deal, just a relaxing break, except for us, we'll have the dogs with us.
Also like the bit about "not the next door neighbours best friends uncle that went there fifteen years ago." .. lol

Cheers
Al
AnswerID: 535182

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew & Jen - Sunday, Jun 29, 2014 at 12:36

Sunday, Jun 29, 2014 at 12:36
Hullo Al
This won't apply to Martyn as it is definitely not a 3 days up and back trip suggestion :-)
Last year we came down from Derby (a much more interesting/genuine place than Broome IOHO) via Millstream Chichester NP, Karijii NP, Ashburton Downs, Mt Augustus via Pingandy, Kennedy Range NP, Gascoyne Junction, TO at Byro to Cue via Milly Milly Stn, then Sandstone and Lake Ballard, etc
Fascinating country, friendly/helpful people, off the beaten track for a lot of the time, bush camping for about half of it, a lot of it open surface in good nick - but watch the weather!
Cheers
Andrew
FollowupID: 819050

Follow Up By: Tjukayirla Roadhouse - Sunday, Jun 29, 2014 at 13:04

Sunday, Jun 29, 2014 at 13:04
Thanks Andrew, much appreciated, will check it all out :-)

Cheers
Al
FollowupID: 819053

Follow Up By: Martyn (WA) - Sunday, Jun 29, 2014 at 19:13

Sunday, Jun 29, 2014 at 19:13
Hi Andrew,
We did a very similar trip to the one you talk about a few years ago, the only place we added in was Tom Price which IMHO was a really good stop off, caravan park was top of the shelf. We had a few dramas after leaving Karajini, lost a wheel off the camper trailer, three punctures and one written off tyre, add to that a Jeep owner in a pimpmobile drove past whilst I was trying to get the wheel back on the camper trailer and just waved, FW of the top order.

Anyway I'm over it now as you can more than likely tell, the trip you talk about is really good. Is Mt Augusta holiday village or whatever it is called still open? There was noise about it closing wasn't there?
Keep the shiny side up

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 819077

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew & Jen - Sunday, Jun 29, 2014 at 19:31

Sunday, Jun 29, 2014 at 19:31
Hullo Martyn
You are right, Tom Price is a top spot. We had a bit of a problem with the tug and the workshop (Ashburton Mechanical) couldn't have been more obliging, including loaning us their w/s ute for a few days. We got plenty of approaching waves, followed by strange looks as they went past seeing an old white bearded bloke and his aging spouse in the front :-)
As for Mt Augustus, yes it was still open when we were there. It is a business run by the owners of the station, with grassed area and shade for caravans and tents, and with ablutions block, camp kitchen, etc as well as cabins - not new but OK
Cheers
Andrew
FollowupID: 819081

Reply By: Crusier 91 - Sunday, Jun 29, 2014 at 14:18

Sunday, Jun 29, 2014 at 14:18
if you show up in Broome and all the shops are closed with shutters down, head back inland as fast as you can.

Prepare for very smelly in counters.

Take a fishing rod.
AnswerID: 535193

Reply By: Villatranquilla - Sunday, Jun 29, 2014 at 20:49

Sunday, Jun 29, 2014 at 20:49
good free camp with toilets on the Degray river about 120k's north of Port Hedland.
Nice caravan park at Pardoo Station (not the roadhouse) - they have a pool, restaurant, power and water as well as a great community campfire each night - about 14k's in off the highway - good dirt road.
AnswerID: 535224

Follow Up By: Martyn (WA) - Sunday, Jun 29, 2014 at 21:59

Sunday, Jun 29, 2014 at 21:59
Hi Villatranquilla,
Great, just the sort of info I wanted, sounds good. Thank you.
Keep the shiny side up

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 819090

Reply By: AlanTH - Monday, Jun 30, 2014 at 11:06

Monday, Jun 30, 2014 at 11:06
Hi Martyn.
Why not try going via Newman, Nullangine then on the Skull Springs Rd to Carawine Gorge? Before you go ring the owners of Warrawagine Station (Robin Mills) and ask if you can use their access road which runs from very near the Telfer/Ripon Hills Rd Junction.
From that road after passing through the station go up the Muccan Shay Gap Rd (it's sign posted) and the Boreline Rd to the main hwy.
Those roads are all dirt but in good condition and there's some great scenery through there.
Just be aware that if Warrawagine are mustering there could be lots of chopper and motorbike noise, dust and cattle running around at Carawine. Plus they set up camp there for the ringers.....
Have a good trip
AlanH.
AnswerID: 535253

Reply By: Flighty ( WA ) - Monday, Jun 30, 2014 at 12:50

Monday, Jun 30, 2014 at 12:50
Martyn
Try to drop in at Pardoo station if the opportunity arises they have all amenities and a café as well, with fishing available at various points of the station.
Good people and although sometimes very busy it is always a relaxed and friendly atmosphere.
That is the station itself not the roadhouse, turn is before you get to the roadhouse and about 10 - 15 kms off the highway.
Cheers
Flighty

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 535263

Follow Up By: Flighty ( WA ) - Monday, Jun 30, 2014 at 12:52

Monday, Jun 30, 2014 at 12:52
And just for Al the station is "dog friendly"
Cheers

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 819124