Battery replacement

Submitted: Wednesday, Jul 02, 2014 at 09:29
ThreadID: 108575 Views:1895 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Gday all. We are about to replace our 2 x 100 ah deep cycle house batteries in the van. Dont really want to go to lithium mainly due to cost. We have a 120 w solar charger on the roof of the van. We dont run the fridge on 12v (gas when fee camping), so the batteries are only for lighting, piezo and the telly.

We live in Sydney

Appreciate any suggestions as to Brand and best place to buy.

Cheers
Lambo
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Ross N (NSW) - Wednesday, Jul 02, 2014 at 09:34

Wednesday, Jul 02, 2014 at 09:34
Only this week I bought a battery from Onlinebatteries & found their advice & service outstanding.
No connection & chose them solely on price off the web.
located in Sydney
Ross
Ross N

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 535328

Reply By: Lucko - Wednesday, Jul 02, 2014 at 09:36

Wednesday, Jul 02, 2014 at 09:36
I have a pair of Full River 100Ah batteries. Same purpose as yourself. 9 years old and (touch wood) still going strong. I reckon the secret with any battery is not to over discharge it and have a decent charger for it.

Mark
AnswerID: 535329

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Wednesday, Jul 02, 2014 at 18:47

Wednesday, Jul 02, 2014 at 18:47
Have also just purchased a pair of Fullriver AGM batteries to go into the camper after the Remco ones "died" during our recent trip. (well they are not holding a charge for as long as they should.
An isolator malfunctioned and I was unaware the camper batteries were not being charged by the alternator, while driving. I had the camper batteries linked to the auxiliary in the vehicle and it was the isolator between the Primary and auxiliary that failed.
The fridge cutout at about 11.6v but the water pump and lights circuits do not have low voltage protection and drained the batteries down over a couple of days, before I realised there was a problem.

I am of the opinion that maybe the Remco batteries are also not that robust when driving over corrugated surfaces as they were a replacement for the original Remco's in the Camper from new and which were also in poor shape when I bought the camper.

This time I searched for prices and was surprised to see that I could buy the Fullriver battery cheaper than the same sized Remco, so I went ahead and bought them.

The Fullriver 80Ah batteries Ijust bought were from Home of 12 Volt for $295 each, while the Remco batteries I have previously sourced from Whitworth Marine, are listed at $339 each.

The Fullriver brand have a good reputation so I will see how they perform over time.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 535348

Reply By: mountainman - Wednesday, Jul 02, 2014 at 19:22

Wednesday, Jul 02, 2014 at 19:22
CAT do batteries
Extremely cheap.
They do the whole range, deep cycle, normal to gel and even 6vlt
A 1000cca battery for 145
(175 4390) Product number

No one can beat the price or the starting GRUNT

They have a dealership in newcastle and definately a couple in sydney.
Warranty is damn good too

Great gear!!
AnswerID: 535352

Reply By: Tony H15 - Wednesday, Jul 02, 2014 at 19:38

Wednesday, Jul 02, 2014 at 19:38
I bought a cheap 200 AH AGM battery for use in a Cub camper some years ago. After selling that we moved onto a Jayco camper and I installed the same battery in that - never had any problems despite years of use. The battery stayed with the Jayco when I sold it so I intend on buying and installing a 150 AH AGM (another cheapy of course) in our latest camper. Only drawback with the 200AH battery was it was heavy - 60 + Kgs; but, never had any problems. It was fed by one 80 watt solar panel with occasional use of a Honda petrol engined battery charger I prefer the single battery system to two 100AH batteries for ease of installation and because I had no end of problems with the twin battery systems I had in previous vans and campers, admittedly they were standard wet cell deep cycles, but I'd never go back to a twin system, or brand name batteries for that matter - just doesn't make fiscal sense based on my experience. As for getting what you pay for: I certainly have - several times over.
AnswerID: 535358

Sponsored Links