Beach camping in NSW?

Submitted: Monday, Aug 18, 2014 at 09:16
ThreadID: 109175 Views:2309 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hey all

A mate and I want to go camping somewhere rough on the coast of NSW somewhere (we're in Sydney at the moment, happy to travel). Typically we find a patch in the blue mountains, set up a little campfire and laze around but we want a change - we want to camp somewhere basically on the beach (or not far from it), far from civilisation, not on a camping ground where you can see other people... Somewhere we can wake up, go spear fishing or rod fishing or go exploring the bushland around the beach. We will be doing it soon so need a campfire given the cool weather.

Does such a place even exist? I've been googling all the national parks and state forests around and the national parks seem to be anal about designated camping areas, no campfires, etc - it shouldn't be that hard to just "get back to basics" and find your own spot on the coast to relax with noone else vying for the same 10m2 of grass. We're keen to avoid any signs of civilisation. Any thoughts on options?

Thanks

Brett
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Mark (Tamworth NSW) - Monday, Aug 18, 2014 at 13:12

Monday, Aug 18, 2014 at 13:12
Brett
Pebbly beach, in Yuraygir National Park, turnoff about 40km north of Coffs Harbour, then 15km east, includes a small beach run which may require you to check the tides. It is right on the beach
National Parks even provide wood for the firepits the last time I went through, it has composting toilets and not much else apart from a wonderful view of the ocean.

http://www.exploroz.com/Places/64251/NSW/Yuraygir_National_Park.aspx

Further north Sandon River campground east of Mclean, 2WD accessible but I'm less certain about campfires there
AnswerID: 537840

Follow Up By: EpicBP - Monday, Aug 18, 2014 at 13:55

Monday, Aug 18, 2014 at 13:55
Pebbly sounds great - I have an unmodified 2005 Prado, how deep is the creek I'd need to cross?

Thanks Mark
FollowupID: 822092

Follow Up By: chisel - Monday, Aug 18, 2014 at 14:49

Monday, Aug 18, 2014 at 14:49
Fine at low tide.
There's also Lake Arragan and Red Cliff areas. Not quite as remote as Pebbly but still nice. Sandon River is a bit busier - more like a campground.
A long drive from Sydney though...
FollowupID: 822094

Reply By: mikehzz - Monday, Aug 18, 2014 at 18:06

Monday, Aug 18, 2014 at 18:06
There is a camping area on the north side of Samurai Beach just past Anna Bay near Stockton. It's a nudist beach and there are no facilities but camping is allowed provided you bring your own "facilities". There are no bins either so take your rubbish with you.
AnswerID: 537853

Reply By: mike39 - Wednesday, Aug 20, 2014 at 08:25

Wednesday, Aug 20, 2014 at 08:25
Another top beach spot (and not quite as far north) is Delicate Nobby and Racecourse between Point Plommer and Crescent Head.

Only problem with all these spots are the NPWS fees, anywhere between $10/hd. to $20/hd. plus a vehicle access fee of $7.
For which you get a basic drop dunny, no water and if you don't bring your own firewood another $10 for a small bag.

Ironically, the places mentioned were all sand mining locations many years ago with free unfettered access.
How things change.
mike
AnswerID: 537907

Sponsored Links