Comment: Ross River Tourist Camp

Ross river tourist Camp is not very far out of Alice Springs.
After some feedback from Member Kevin S, I am after further feedback as to whether this location would be a good place to hold a National Gathering. I know the 2014 one has finished yet but I am keen to see one held annually and am looking for locations that have a capacity for large groups as well as have some other destinations within reach for attendee's to visit whilst there.
I have emailed the managers and am yet to recieve a reply.
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated :)
Cheer sKev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: baznpud (tassie) - Saturday, Aug 23, 2014 at 09:29

Saturday, Aug 23, 2014 at 09:29
Morning Kev,
Pud and i stayed there several years ago, at that time there was a large camping area, but if you had the number that are attending this year, doubt if they would all fit in, with showers etc, also had a restaurant at the Homestead.
As said was several years ago, may have changed.
Cheers.
baz
PS, Pud has purchased some tickets to win the saw, she wants to know if you know where to send it??
Go caravaning, life is so much shorter than death.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 538070

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Saturday, Aug 23, 2014 at 09:43

Saturday, Aug 23, 2014 at 09:43
I reckon it will look good on my wall at home, tell Pud thanks for the Christmas pressie hehehe

Will see what response I get from the current managers. The photos Kevin S sent me indicate that they may have upgraded the amenity block. So will just have to wait and see :)

Cheers Kev

Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 822332

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Saturday, Aug 23, 2014 at 10:58

Saturday, Aug 23, 2014 at 10:58
Hi Kev,
We have stayed there a few years ago and it would be a great location with plenty of nearby gorges, historic sites etc to visit, and its an easy run into Alice itself. I think though that it was badly damaged by a bushfire a couple of years ago?
Cheers,
Val.
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 538077

Follow Up By: Member - Kevin S (QLD) - Sunday, Aug 24, 2014 at 03:55

Sunday, Aug 24, 2014 at 03:55
Val, you wouldn't know that a bush fire had been near the place. Having been there before and just recently I couldn't see any significant loss of facilities. All the cabins near the homestead seemed to still be there. From memory that is where the fires were shown on telly.
Cheers
Kevin
Kevin
It is important to always maintain a sense of proportion

2019 Mitsubishi Cross

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 822394

Reply By: Hairy (NT) - Saturday, Aug 23, 2014 at 11:26

Saturday, Aug 23, 2014 at 11:26
Gday Kev,

It would be a great place for it..........
I don't particularly like the management over the last few years but as far as accommodating a large group, and places to visit goes it would be hard to beat.

Cheers
AnswerID: 538079

Follow Up By: Steve - Saturday, Aug 23, 2014 at 20:09

Saturday, Aug 23, 2014 at 20:09
Had my first trip to the Red Centre a couple of years back and was told from several sources not to expect much in the way of hospitality from the owners of this place. I kept an open mind and visited anyway. They were right. I wonder how this bloke keeps a viable business going with his attitude.
FollowupID: 822381

Follow Up By: Hairy (NT) - Saturday, Aug 23, 2014 at 23:22

Saturday, Aug 23, 2014 at 23:22
It was apparently bought out by some very wealthy company (from Melbourne I believe)who obviously had no lack of money with no need of business?
But......its a great location with the facilities to cope with a national gathering......
FollowupID: 822391

Reply By: Gone Bush (WA) - Saturday, Aug 23, 2014 at 23:35

Saturday, Aug 23, 2014 at 23:35
Kev,

The Bushtracker Club held their annual muster at the Road Transport Hall of Fame in Alice Springs.

Site Link

They fitted in about 100 vans.

I've heard similar comments about the old Ross River Resort since the fire there too.

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 538100

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Saturday, Aug 23, 2014 at 23:40

Saturday, Aug 23, 2014 at 23:40
Try this link:

Site Link
I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 822392

Follow Up By: Life Member-Doug T NSW - Sunday, Aug 24, 2014 at 09:04

Sunday, Aug 24, 2014 at 09:04
Gone Bush...I just had a look at your link, I see an unsecured loading offence with the old 44 gallon drum ready to fall out..but they sure do have some interesting vehicles there.

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 822407

Sponsored Links