Porta-a-Potti Questions

Submitted: Tuesday, Oct 07, 2014 at 13:50
ThreadID: 109743 Views:2775 Replies:9 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
I just got back from a trip where I took and used a port-a-potti for the first time and have a couple of questions.

I am still using the chemicals that came with the unit and will switch to Home Brand Nappisan for the bottom tank when the current stuff runs out. What are people using in the flushing tank - Nappisan as well?

The chemicals seemed to work well but when the slide is opened the smell is still a bit overpowering - is there any additional 'deodoriser' that might help reduce the smell from below when doing the business.

Also I did not empty the unit until I got back home where it was quite a bit warmer than from where I left and combined with the natural fermentation process meant that the lower tank internal pressure was quite high (car is required when opening) and resulted in the lower tank to starting to blow up like a balloon - no leaks but still a concern. Any advice on how to deal with this.

The bottom tanl has now been washed out etc - any hints for storage - leave a litre or so of water in it with chemicals in or leave completely dry and open with maybe a squirt of deoderiser.

Cheers

Garry
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Alan H (QLD) - Tuesday, Oct 07, 2014 at 16:09

Tuesday, Oct 07, 2014 at 16:09
Napisan only in bottom tank, nothing in flush tank... Empty every 3 days whether it needs it or not. Best done after travelling as road vibration helps the napisan to break it all down to liquid.

We do not have any smell using this regime.

I store ours dry.

Some people put a little ecalyptus in the flush tank. I've tried a little naipsan in the flush but stopped it as not required. It probably helps make surfaces slippery to help avoid skid marks

Trust this helps

Alan

AnswerID: 540030

Follow Up By: garrycol - Tuesday, Oct 07, 2014 at 16:44

Tuesday, Oct 07, 2014 at 16:44
Thanks Alan - good advice.
FollowupID: 825746

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Tuesday, Oct 07, 2014 at 18:35

Tuesday, Oct 07, 2014 at 18:35
Garry,

If the chemical that was supplied with the Porta-Potti was the green fluid, be aware that this product contains formaldehyde, a pretty nasty additive that is known to be a human carcinogen. I am not aware of the concentration level in the green liquid (used for the bottom tank) but disposed of our original stock at the earliest opportunity.
Formaldehyde is also highly toxic to all animals, regardless of the method of intake.

Not only is Nappisan good for your porta-potti in assisting to break down waste, but is a good product to have on hand to wash your socks and "smalls" with when bush camping.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 540042

Follow Up By: garrycol - Tuesday, Oct 07, 2014 at 19:53

Tuesday, Oct 07, 2014 at 19:53
Not green but blue.
FollowupID: 825760

Reply By: Member -Dodger - Tuesday, Oct 07, 2014 at 18:48

Tuesday, Oct 07, 2014 at 18:48
Quote....

Napisan only in bottom tank, nothing in flush tank... Empty every 3 days whether it needs it or not. Best done after travelling as road vibration helps the napisan to break it all down to liquid.

We do not have any smell using this regime.

I store ours dry.

Some people put a little ecalyptus in the flush tank. I've tried a little naipsan in the flush but stopped it as not required. It probably helps make surfaces slippery to help avoid skid marks. end Quote

We also do the above with our Caravan toilet system. The eucalyptus oil in the top tank or flush tank helps with the odour however it should only be a small amount about an egg cup full would suffice.
The empty every 3 days is nearly a must. Storing at home means a thorough clean inside and out plus lubricating the seals as well before storage.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Cheers Dodg.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 540044

Follow Up By: garrycol - Tuesday, Oct 07, 2014 at 19:54

Tuesday, Oct 07, 2014 at 19:54
Cheers - thanks for the advice.
FollowupID: 825761

Reply By: peteC - Tuesday, Oct 07, 2014 at 20:03

Tuesday, Oct 07, 2014 at 20:03
Garrycol
with what comes out of you I'd be calling Hazmat
AnswerID: 540051

Reply By: Slow one - Tuesday, Oct 07, 2014 at 20:11

Tuesday, Oct 07, 2014 at 20:11
This came from Motherhen on this site and I can vouch for it.

Chemical Tiolet

nappy san" stuff from Coles. Heaps cheaper than the official ones...dissolve about a capfull in a litre of warm water. I think they call it nappy conditioner now.

40ml of Nappy San.

Add 1/2 teaspoon of Citric acid + 1/2 teaspoon of euclyptus oil.

It works very, very well and the 3 day replacement is important as well.

AnswerID: 540055

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Oct 07, 2014 at 21:34

Tuesday, Oct 07, 2014 at 21:34
Thank for the mention Slow One :)

I have a Blog with all about toilets Garrycol, and using my preferred option of Sodium Percarbonate as in generic nappy or laundry soakers (products are listed).

If changing from chemicals to the soaker powder you need to cleanse the cassette thoroughly, including the flush tank of anything has been used in that too.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 825773

Reply By: Member -Pinko (NSW) - Tuesday, Oct 07, 2014 at 22:02

Tuesday, Oct 07, 2014 at 22:02
We use Chemtec PORTASOL.
Formaldehyde free and smells good.
1lt.or 5lt.
At bunnings
Easy dosing measure on the 1lt. bottle.
I now decant from a 5lt. to a 1lt bottle to take away.
Living is a journey,it depends on where you go !
VKS 737 mobile 0049 selcall 0049

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 540060

Reply By: Member - batsy - Wednesday, Oct 08, 2014 at 08:09

Wednesday, Oct 08, 2014 at 08:09
Garrycol, we use the same method mentioned above ie napisan & eucalyptus & empty 2/3 days. When home we flush clean both tanks & fill with water & household liquid bleach ( roughly a cupful to each tank) & leave for 2/3 days then empty & leave open & store unit in TVan. Our toilet is now 8 years old & is still clean & fresh. We also lubricate the rubber seal in the bottom tank & the pump in the top tank.
Cheers
Batsy
Every day vertical above ground is a bonus.

AnswerID: 540071

Reply By: Member - Odog - Wednesday, Oct 08, 2014 at 08:50

Wednesday, Oct 08, 2014 at 08:50
Not meaning to hijack the thread, but wondering what do you use to lubricate the slide? We used our toilet for first time on 8 week trip, only ever used the home brand nappy stuff, in bottom tank, never had smells, works so well. When we got home, good clean n rinse out, let it dry out, but haven't lubricated anything.. Suggestions on what to use would be great. Cheers. Odog
Some people want it to happen, some people wish it could happen, others make it happen!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 540072

Follow Up By: Member - Alan H (QLD) - Wednesday, Oct 08, 2014 at 17:07

Wednesday, Oct 08, 2014 at 17:07
Spray olive oil - cheap generic stuff

Alan
FollowupID: 825829

Follow Up By: Member - batsy - Wednesday, Oct 08, 2014 at 18:28

Wednesday, Oct 08, 2014 at 18:28
Odog we use a product called super lube. It comes in a small plastic container about the diameter of a 20c piece & about 20mm high. It is a clear light "Vaseline type" substance. Think it can be purchased from pool shops . This jar has lasted us the 8 years we have had the toilet.
Cheers
Batsy
Every day vertical above ground is a bonus.

FollowupID: 825836

Reply By: Member-Heather MG NSW - Wednesday, Oct 08, 2014 at 17:37

Wednesday, Oct 08, 2014 at 17:37
Garry,

If you use 'Happy Bowl' liners when you do a 'dump' then you can leave the slide closed until completed and then open it to flush. The liners are made from tissue type paper and when flushed take everything through to the holding tank but don't contribute any bulk as they disappear into the liquid.
Cleaning is minimal and the person who has the job of cleaning the toilet will love you for using them! Approx $15 for pack of 50 online and from RV people.

regards,

Heather
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. John Muir

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 540096

Sponsored Links