Palm Valley camp ground.

Submitted: Thursday, Oct 09, 2014 at 22:59
ThreadID: 109767 Views:2693 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi, we are on our way to Yalara on the Great Central from Laverton and later want to see Palm Valley.

Was wondering if we can get into the camp site with a full size offroad van as I have heard there can be low overhanging branches over the track.

Has any one taken a full van in there recently and had any issues.

Any info and advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

John.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Graeme W (NSW) - Friday, Oct 10, 2014 at 09:09

Friday, Oct 10, 2014 at 09:09
Hi John,

I've seen a couple of full vans in there (one was a large Bushtracker). The 4wd tour buses can be tall and they seem to get in OK. I can't remember any areas with low branches, but my van is only half as high as yours.

The campground itself doesn't have many large sites. From memory the first couple on the left are suitable for large vans.

Graeme

Lake Eyre 2011

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 540152

Reply By: 3ways - Friday, Oct 10, 2014 at 13:15

Friday, Oct 10, 2014 at 13:15
John
We had no problems when we towed our 21ft in to Palm Valley camp in July. There were no low hanging branches on the track at that time.
Frank
AnswerID: 540169

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Friday, Oct 10, 2014 at 13:51

Friday, Oct 10, 2014 at 13:51
Ditto, re the majority of sites are not suitable for sizeable vans (ours is 25' overall).....our spot in the photo is at the eastern end of the ground - most spaces are best suited to camper trailers. If possible, get there around the middle of the day to improve your chances on the pick of the sites. Don't be fooled by the low numbers around the middle of the day either - the place can often be full at dusk. That said, as I recall there are a number of 'overflow spots' at the western end of the ground....if you had to park in a less than ideal spot, I doubt the ranger would want you to move - they've been very accommodating people, on our several visits there.
AnswerID: 540172

Follow Up By: Member - johntoyo - Friday, Oct 10, 2014 at 21:37

Friday, Oct 10, 2014 at 21:37
Thanks to all that responded.

One of the many advantages to sites like this is the wealth of knowledge and experience that others are willing to share.

I will take your point Darien about getting there early.

Thanks again.

John.
FollowupID: 825971

Reply By: Motherhen - Friday, Oct 10, 2014 at 22:51

Friday, Oct 10, 2014 at 22:51
Hi John

The Palm Valley campground is usually fairly easy access for anything reasonable high clearance. When the river has flowed, the sand can be different every time, but it gets a lot of traffic with campers, day visitors and 4wd tour coaches. Take it slowly and trailers will not be a problem. We went with our caravan. You cannot take trailers beyond the campground out to the Valley of Palms, nor would you want to.

We were there in 2008. There was a partially fenced in overflow area on the approach to the campground where caravans have been parked. We took a long narrow coach bay. Other than a couple of these, the campsites when we were there were suitable for tents, camper trailers or small campervans/slide-ons only.

I have placed a blue line around where I think the overflow area was, and the green line is the coach bay (site #1 I think) which was long enough for our 14 metres overall rig length. There appears to be a larger area on the east side which may be a new large rig area where Darian found room.

Palm Valley is beautiful and well worth a visit. We stayed three nights at the campground.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 540199

Sponsored Links