Red Center

Submitted: Friday, May 17, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1157 Views:1540 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
gday

i am travelling through the center in june july (V6 rodeo 4X4)
and was wondering what is worth seeing and what to cross of the list
some ideas have been to go to the following places
Chambers pillar
boggy hole
see the big red rock \kings canyon
numerous gorges on the way around the larrapinta trail
i want to avoid as many tourists as possible

thanks in advance

nico
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Gordon - Friday, May 17, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, May 17, 2002 at 00:00
Nico, i did all this last year as part of a 4 week trip from Brisbane. What i really couldn't stand was all the tourists around the rock, the olga's and kings canyon. At Ulara there is a truely international flavour but far too many people around for my liking. Make no mistake, these places are worth visiting but, like you, i like to avoid tourists (even though i was one!!). We liked Redbank gorge for camping. Generally the Merreenie Loop and the gorges along Larapinta Drive were less frequented but still busy. My in-laws went to Palm Valley (Finke River) which they found much quieter mainly because you have to back-track to see the rock and Larapinta Drive gorges and Palm Valley it and which people usually avoid.
Hope this helps. Regards Gordon.
AnswerID: 3614

Reply By: nico - Friday, May 17, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, May 17, 2002 at 00:00
thanks for the reply
yeah that is what i meant the crowded spots
cause i will be one of the touro's myself
AnswerID: 3616

Reply By: johnsy - Saturday, May 18, 2002 at 00:00

Saturday, May 18, 2002 at 00:00
Nico try the eastern mac's not a hugh amount of tourists and the scenery is just as good .get your self a 1;250,000 of the area and have a look around the old gold diggings, altunga, ruby gap,mud tank gemfields a good weeks touring to be had in the area alone.
AnswerID: 3637

Reply By: Andrew - Sunday, May 19, 2002 at 00:00

Sunday, May 19, 2002 at 00:00
Nico,
Places to see:

Lambert Centre: Geographical centre of Oz.
Plam Valley: These Palms grow NOWHERE else in the world.
Ruby Gap: Spectacular georges and scenery
Chambers Pillar: Vertical column marker on the edge of the Simpson. Spoilt now by some railings, but still worth the look.

Give a Miss:
Boggy Hole: A fun 4wd trip, and tranquil when you get there, but not a lot to see.
Henbry crater: Small impact, and ok, but ... once you have seen Wolfe Creek crater ...

There is a great deal to see here in my back yard, don't be afraid to ask.

Cheers, Andrew, Outback oz, Alice Springs.
AnswerID: 3649

Reply By: Johno - Thursday, May 23, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, May 23, 2002 at 00:00
It is a great place, being locals we tend not to explore too much during the peak season, so you will encounter the tourists wherever you go at this time of the year. See as much as you can and enjoy it with the rest of the crowd. Went to Palm Valley a couple of weeks ago, It was a dry trip with no water crossings to negotiate and the camp ground was empty. However it is raining today thank goodness as we have not had a drop since February. You need to bear in mind that temperatures out here then will be below zero so be sure to have your thermals for the cool mornings and nights and layered clothing to strip off as the days warm up. Have a great trip!! Johnno
AnswerID: 3768

Sponsored Links