Flinders Region route help

Hi guys,
I am starting into the Flinders next week and currently finish the planned route and was looking for any further ideas or comments:

1)
Adelaide > Nelshaby > Scenic Drive north (Telowie Gorge) > Port Germein Gorge east > Bridle Track west > Port Germein (Jetty) > Mount Remarkable NP West [Mambray Creek CG]

2)
> Princes Highway > Horrocks Pass east (Lookout) > Wilmington > Mount Remarkable NP east (Alligator Gorge) > Yapoona Springs Station {open???} (Mimbadoggie Ring Route) > Orroroo > Ridge Top Drive
Camping?

3)
> Carrieton > Mockra Tower Lookout > Horseshoe Rim Track > Quorn > Jacks Track > Dutchmans Stern CP (Summit Walk) > Warren Gorge

4)
> Argadell HS (Mount Arden Track) > Simmonston > Buckaringa Lookout > Hookina > Hawker (Yourambulla Caves)

5)
> Blinman Road north > Moralana Scenic Drive > Outback Highway north > Brachina Gorge > Bungeroo Scenic Drive > Wilpena

6)
> Hucks Lookout > Stokes Hill Lookout > Willow Springs HS (Skytrek)

7)
> Arkaroola Wilderness Sanctuary

8)
> Leigh Creek > Lyndhurst > Marree

9)
Marree > Mungerannie > K1 Line > Poeppel Corner

10)
> Birdsville and onwards

What do you think? Doable or too much? Maybe hair some days to more/less? Any highlights forgotten? Any unreal 4wd scenic places I missed?

Will the stations and homesteads already be open?

Thanks

Philipp
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Fab72 - Friday, Mar 20, 2015 at 20:18

Friday, Mar 20, 2015 at 20:18
2) ...if near Orroroo...maybe take a look at Bendlby Station. It has a few good tracks and an absolutely gnarly one too. Billy Goat Ridge.

Fab.
AnswerID: 551288

Reply By: Cheeky1 - Friday, Mar 20, 2015 at 23:20

Friday, Mar 20, 2015 at 23:20
Try and duck across to Parachilna if you can. Great drive through the gorges from Blinman and the pub at Parachilna is a real treat.
AnswerID: 551305

Reply By: GREENDOG - Saturday, Mar 21, 2015 at 03:28

Saturday, Mar 21, 2015 at 03:28
IF it was me I'd forget 1,2,3 not worth it aspeacially when there is bigger fish to fry like the flinders ,do the Gorges ,aspeacially Parachilna Gorge ,Wilpena Pound ,Skytrek a week spent in this area and you won't regret it Awsame Country .cheers GREENDOG
AnswerID: 551306

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Mar 22, 2015 at 08:53

Sunday, Mar 22, 2015 at 08:53
G'Day Pete

Hope you are keeping well.

Cheers

Stephe
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 836842

Follow Up By: GREENDOG - Monday, Mar 23, 2015 at 15:52

Monday, Mar 23, 2015 at 15:52
G'day Stephen,all good this way mate ,long time no hear, been very busy ,I'm driving for a company now that takes me to Perth and back ,would be nice to catch up one day again ,have you any plans for this winter,we are heading up to the Gulf Country for 3weeks .say Hi to Fiona for us cheers mate GD
FollowupID: 836915

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Monday, Mar 23, 2015 at 18:15

Monday, Mar 23, 2015 at 18:15
Hi Pete

Depending on when you go, we may cross paths. We are heading up to Birdsville and Lawn Hill in June, so looking forward to that again.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 836928

Follow Up By: GREENDOG - Monday, Mar 23, 2015 at 20:05

Monday, Mar 23, 2015 at 20:05
Hi Stephen we are leaving here on the 3rd of July for 3 Weeks. and heading straight up the middle ,turning of a Daly Waters then heading inland ,coming back via Birdsville ,might be a little bit behind ya I reckon.
FollowupID: 836947

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, Mar 21, 2015 at 09:33

Saturday, Mar 21, 2015 at 09:33
Hi Philipp

If you have never ever been into the Flinders Ranges before, I hope that you have allowed lots of time to see the area properly. Over the years we have travelled through the area dozens of time and there is always so much to see.

One time a few years ago, we wanted to just head up there for some R & R for a couple of days.....well it was some real R & R....the coupe of days intended stay turned into 10.

There are so many great locations in the Flinders, that it has me thinking again to head back there again to capture all of those very special spots and put it into a Blog.

Anyway all the Gorges and drive are a must do thing in the Wilpena area including:-

Bunyeroo Gorge
Brachina Gorge
Parachilna Gorge
Glass Gorge
Moralana Scenic Drive

And one special spot that is also a must visit, the great Nuccaleena Mine Ruins.

Two weeks in the Flinders and you still will not see it all.

Cheers

Stephen

Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 551316

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Saturday, Mar 21, 2015 at 11:47

Saturday, Mar 21, 2015 at 11:47
Always great photos, Stephen!

What road is that in the 5th photo? Looks in good order, and a magic view of the Ranges.

Thanks,
Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 836799

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, Mar 21, 2015 at 12:26

Saturday, Mar 21, 2015 at 12:26
Hi Bob

We usually like to hit the dirt where we can, and we always take the old main road from Cradock to Hawker. On the EOTopo maps, the road is marked as the Orroroo Road.

Following this great dirt road will bring you put right in the Main Street of Hawker and straight to Teauge's Mobil Serice Station, without coming in from the main highway.

If you are ever up that way, it is well worth taking this road just on the outskirts of Cradock.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 836803

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Saturday, Mar 21, 2015 at 16:21

Saturday, Mar 21, 2015 at 16:21
Thanks, Stephen. Found it on the map, another place on the bucket list. :-)

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 836812

Reply By: Les - PK Ranger - Saturday, Mar 21, 2015 at 09:55

Saturday, Mar 21, 2015 at 09:55
I agree, don't worry too much Southern Flinders, too much further north to get through :)
See info here about nice loop drive to / from Arkaroola thread 117118.

Also Check out PAR info here, particularly Artimore / Patawarta and others in this doc . . . 4WD Tracks & Repeater Towers

The repeaters are worth having on that doc if you get into any situations.

Mt Patawarta is a good climb if you have time.
AnswerID: 551317

Reply By: Member - Mark C (QLD) - Saturday, Mar 21, 2015 at 21:19

Saturday, Mar 21, 2015 at 21:19
Don't miss Willow Springs and SkyTrek 4wd trek. Also northern Flinders and Gawler Ranges with Arkaroola and the trip to Parachina is worth it for the feral feast.
Mark And Helen QLD
Living the Dream

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 551360

Sponsored Links