Thetford toilet

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 29, 2015 at 11:59
ThreadID: 117269 Views:2315 Replies:4 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi we have in our van a thetford toilet with a pull out cassette which we take to dump point to empty and have only ever used it for numbers ones can you use them for number twos and if so is there any special solutions to use to break it down to stop any odours
Thanks Greg
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Sunday, Mar 29, 2015 at 12:49

Sunday, Mar 29, 2015 at 12:49
Hell yes Greg, definitely number twos. (Aren't they what they are really for?)

As far as solutions go, there are commercial Thetford products available, but the older Green solution is frowned upon because it contains formaldehyde, a quite nasty product both for ourselves and the environment. Thetford also produce a Blue solution which is supposedly more environmentally friendly.

But the cheapest and most effective product plain old Nappisan.
about a lid full in the bottom tank is all that is required. The prime ingredient in this product is Sodium Percarbonate which actively oxygenates the tank contents to quickly break down solids. A product with around 34% SP is best. Home brand Nappisan used to be the recommended one but recent changes to the SP percentage have now superseded this one in favor of others.
I now use Coles Ultra Booster Advanced Oxy.
A drop or two of euclyptus oil can be added to help eliminate any odors if you wish.

Member Motherhen has created a blog giving up to date information on different products.
Toilet Chemicals Blog
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 551742

Reply By: Member - Chooky and Wobble - Sunday, Mar 29, 2015 at 12:57

Sunday, Mar 29, 2015 at 12:57
Yes you can use it for number2's. We use the green Thetford product as it is supposed to be septic safe. We also usethe pink product in the flush tank. (Ours has a seperate flushing water tank) A lot of people make up there own using things like napisan with sweet smelling aditives like eucalyptis. We use the thetford product as we only do a small number of trips in the van. If you travel a lot then making your ownwould make sense. There are lots of things in forums just search here or google caravan toilet chemicals. I am surprised that the instruction book from thetford didnt explain it all.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 551743

Follow Up By: Member - Chooky and Wobble - Sunday, Mar 29, 2015 at 12:59

Sunday, Mar 29, 2015 at 12:59
I ment the blue one

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 837254

Follow Up By: Tom D - Wednesday, Apr 01, 2015 at 14:48

Wednesday, Apr 01, 2015 at 14:48
I don't think these ppl are ignorant of the usage of the toilet. I just think everyone is trying to make ends meets and saving a dollar here and there helps in the long run.:)
FollowupID: 837437

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Sunday, Mar 29, 2015 at 14:08

Sunday, Mar 29, 2015 at 14:08
We have used Thetford blue but are about to trial the BioMagic granules shortly - the attractive thing about the granules is that the pack is so small (compact for camping)....a little bit is supposed to go a long way. As for the Thetford pink flush addidtive - we had to stop using it because it promoted the growth of black algae in our flush tank.....I now add cheap supermarket disinfectant (generic Dettol types) to the flush water....just a cap full / litre works a treat.
AnswerID: 551750

Follow Up By: Member - Chooky and Wobble - Sunday, Mar 29, 2015 at 17:44

Sunday, Mar 29, 2015 at 17:44
You have answered an issue we have been having with black alge in the flush tank. I thought it might have been the water. I just flushed it through with weak domestos solution.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 837268

Follow Up By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Sunday, Mar 29, 2015 at 22:04

Sunday, Mar 29, 2015 at 22:04
It appears that warm weather is the problem with the pink flush...ok in a cold climate...I tried a bit of disinfectant with it but that created a claggy sort of by-product (chemistry !....what pain). Anyway......plenty of users have dumped the pink flush and are quite happy with plain water...it was probably all marketing in the first place.
FollowupID: 837275

Follow Up By: Member - Chooky and Wobble - Sunday, Mar 29, 2015 at 22:09

Sunday, Mar 29, 2015 at 22:09
Thanks for the info will follow it up

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 837276

Reply By: Motherhen - Sunday, Mar 29, 2015 at 20:23

Sunday, Mar 29, 2015 at 20:23
Hi Greg

Please read My Blog on Toilets and consider the environment. If only for #1's, you can empty it every day or two such as in public toilets if no dump point easily available with no use of additives.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 551761

Sponsored Links