buying a swag

Submitted: Saturday, Apr 03, 2004 at 16:12
ThreadID: 11791 Views:2468 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
do some designs work better than others, are all swags made in australia and are the ones that are not mean they are poorer quality and are swags a better choise
than good old fashioned tents.
I am trying to get out bush more with my wife and i am looking for a no fuss, simple, but also with the luxuries my little woman enjoys(shower,toilet,bedroom)
any suggestions or tips as i have always camped with the basics and have been happy to kick out the unwanted sleeping companions that scuttle in thru the night.
And if i told my wife this i would never get her out!!
Shaune
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Baz (NSW) - Saturday, Apr 03, 2004 at 16:33

Saturday, Apr 03, 2004 at 16:33
Swag's are very good we have one each, you can buy double swag's if you like to be close to your partner as we all do of cause, hehehe, anyway use both, a good tent and the swag's, if your in NSW and close to Sydney, the caravan & camping show is on the weekend of the 17th of April it's got everything you'll ever need and sometime's bargin's can be had or just go down to a camping store and browse, there are some good thing's these day's to make camping very comfortible, portable shower's, toilet's and every size bed you can think of.

Baz.
AnswerID: 53077

Reply By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Saturday, Apr 03, 2004 at 17:31

Saturday, Apr 03, 2004 at 17:31
Shaune we use a double sothern cross when im away with the darling wife and when away on my own I use a southern cross single.
My kids both have swags 9 and 13 and love them .

All the best
Eric

www.capeyorkconnections.com.au
AnswerID: 53082

Reply By: Kiwi Ray - Saturday, Apr 03, 2004 at 18:32

Saturday, Apr 03, 2004 at 18:32
Hi Shaune
No all swags are not the same
There are many different features to look at.
Water proof floor, inbuilt matress, roof fly, built in mossi screens.
I have 4 and use them here and in Auss, I think the Birke and Wills is one of the better ones.
Ray
AnswerID: 53088

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Saturday, Apr 03, 2004 at 20:34

Saturday, Apr 03, 2004 at 20:34
Shaune,

You can't beat a swag for versatility in any weather, but if it comes to wet weather, I'd rather be inside a tent, or under a fly. Some of these modern ones are pretty flash, with insect netting, zips and rods to make a mini tent.

Have always used a tarp, 10' x 12' is best size, with required number of blankets for weather conditions at time. Have only had a 25mm mattress over the past 10 years, ground seemed to get a lot harder getting close to 50 years.
In nearly 40 years in a swag, have only ever had 2 centipedes and one snake as unwelcome bed mates, one way to wake in a hurry!!!

A swag made from a tarp can be made up as single, or double. Suppose you even make it a triple, if one was that kinky.

Hooroo...

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 53100

Reply By: navaraman - Saturday, Apr 03, 2004 at 21:02

Saturday, Apr 03, 2004 at 21:02
I've got a Down Under swag and i love it. I usually tie a tarp to the roof rack of the ute to keep oof any rain and minimise wind and am always as snug as a bug in a rug. However my missus insists on a tent for privacy as much as anything else, she reckons she feels more secure in a tent as well, can't figure out why but that what she reckons.
AnswerID: 53103

Follow Up By: Member -Bob & Lex (Sydney) - Sunday, Apr 04, 2004 at 11:05

Sunday, Apr 04, 2004 at 11:05
I also have the Down Under ( double ) with a Carabee jumbo self inflating matress & love it, but if Lex comes it's the camper as she like's the space & luxeries
FollowupID: 314881

Sponsored Links