Birdsville to Bundaburg, Which road?

Submitted: Friday, May 29, 2015 at 19:35
ThreadID: 119034 Views:1818 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
In late July I hope to drive from Birdsville to Bundaberg. Does any one know which route has the least corrugations. Eric.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Friday, May 29, 2015 at 19:41

Friday, May 29, 2015 at 19:41
If you want the least corrugations, Eric, then it's Emerald, Winton, Boulia, Bedourie then Birdsville. Only corrugations will be between Bedourie and Birdsville.

There'd be shorter options available, but more of those nasties,

Bob
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 554405

Reply By: Member - RUK42 (QLD) - Friday, May 29, 2015 at 21:41

Friday, May 29, 2015 at 21:41
How did you get to Birdsville in the first place to be worried about corrugations on the way out?
Suitcase
Prado SX and a little van

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 554411

Follow Up By: Racey - Saturday, May 30, 2015 at 09:37

Saturday, May 30, 2015 at 09:37
You could fly there.
FollowupID: 840492

Reply By: Les - PK Ranger - Saturday, May 30, 2015 at 10:46

Saturday, May 30, 2015 at 10:46
Bob Y's suggestion would be fine . . . but reverse of course for your direction . . . BV - Bedourie - Boulia - Winton - Emerald - Rocky - Bundy.
A bit of a detour though up that high, and really I feel unnecessary to go that far out.

Seriously, if you've driven in there from just about any other route, the corros on the BV Development Rd to Diamantina Dev Rd aren't too bad, drove Bris to BV early May via that way in (nice to detour for a look at Haddon Cnr too).

From BV Dev Rd / Dia Dev Rd, I would go Diamantina Dev Rd to Windorah - Quilpie - Charleville, then Warrego Hwy via Roma - Chinchilla, then head NE up Chinchilla Wondai Rd / Burnett Hwy / Isis Hwy to Childers, then into Bundy from there.

So, are you going to let us all know how you are getting to BV ?? :)
AnswerID: 554422

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Saturday, May 30, 2015 at 11:36

Saturday, May 30, 2015 at 11:36
Ha ha, you're right, Les. Must have had a senior moment, and in need of a good sleep.

That route through to Windorah would be the most practical, and usually in pretty fair order too.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 840496

Reply By: Eric Experience - Saturday, May 30, 2015 at 21:10

Saturday, May 30, 2015 at 21:10
For the curios we will be coming from Alice, Depending on the weather we will probably come across the Simpson. I know the Simpson tracks are rough and slow, that's why I was looking for a smooth run for the second part of the trip. Eric
AnswerID: 554445

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Saturday, May 30, 2015 at 21:20

Saturday, May 30, 2015 at 21:20
Actually, the French Line isn't too bad from Purnie to Bif Red, the road into BV quite ok too mate . . . it would be great to do a run down the Old Ghan (Chambers Pillar detour), or Binns Track (Andado stay ?) . . . either way to Mt Dare is pretty interesting driving.

The track from Mt Dare to Dalhousie over the Gibber is shocking, take the Bloods / Federal Tk, it has recently been reopened after grading, so hopefully no more bad rain events between now and your trip.
(Or first week July, we are coming BV - Mt Dare on FL this time.)

An email from my inquiry about local tracks opening again (we just did Simmo trip a 3 weeks back, and Bloods / Federal as well as Perdika were closed).
The email said ALL the tracks in the area have been graded now, and I assume Dalhousie to Purnie too, which was shockingly washed out and corrugated.

The fellow said they HATED having to make people drive that gibber, but they almost closed Dalhousie - Purnie he said, and that would mena the desert would be effectively closed !!

Enjoy your trip.
FollowupID: 840528

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Saturday, May 30, 2015 at 21:20

Saturday, May 30, 2015 at 21:20
LOL, BIG RED even !! :D
FollowupID: 840529

Reply By: Eric Experience - Saturday, May 30, 2015 at 22:03

Saturday, May 30, 2015 at 22:03
Les.
Thanks for that info, You mention grading from Dh to Purnie, I did not know that any parts of the Simpson were ever graded. Eric
AnswerID: 554446

Sponsored Links