Gary Junction Rd - carrying alcohol allowed ?

Submitted: Monday, Jun 15, 2015 at 08:23
ThreadID: 119186 Views:3112 Replies:10 FollowUps:44
This Thread has been Archived
This Thread has been Locked
I have my permits for NT & WA sections of Gary Junction Rd. Permit allowes alcohol to be transported through Aboriginal Lands but not consumed on them. What are peoples experiences , does anyone check or police this condition ?Is it safe to have a coldie after a hard day behind the wheel ?
Thanks
Steve
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: vk1dx - Monday, Jun 15, 2015 at 08:43

Monday, Jun 15, 2015 at 08:43
Mate It's simple. If the rules say no - then no it is. We take a beer or two (or more - that's why two fridges) with us and simply have a cuppa when a beer is not allowed. It won't kill you missing out for a day or two. I gather that you would wonder about breaking the quarantine rules as well.

Steve - I am just being straight up with you. Do as you wish but don't call it revenue raising if you get stung.
AnswerID: 555981

Follow Up By: Idler Chris - Monday, Jun 15, 2015 at 09:02

Monday, Jun 15, 2015 at 09:02
Agree totally with vk. How can we expect land owners and managers to give us access to their lands when we do not follow their conditions. It is called respect.
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 842063

Reply By: Gronk - Monday, Jun 15, 2015 at 09:12

Monday, Jun 15, 2015 at 09:12
If you were camping fairly remote, I couldn't see a problem. .....not hard to discretely put the beer away if you saw someone coming, as well as not leaving evidence around ..
AnswerID: 555983

Follow Up By: Member - backtracks - Monday, Jun 15, 2015 at 10:22

Monday, Jun 15, 2015 at 10:22
Agree with Gronk. You would have to drive up and down the Main Street of an aboriginal settlement piffling cans out the window to have a problem. So far on my out back trips I've never had someone even ask to see a permit. Isn't it like the tree falling in a forest ? If no one sees you it didn't happen ?
FollowupID: 842065

Follow Up By: Member Andys Adventures - Wednesday, Jun 17, 2015 at 13:57

Wednesday, Jun 17, 2015 at 13:57
as well as not leaving evidence around ..... So what are you doing with the empty bottle/can/cask, burying them on their land using it as a rubbish tip. Or take the risk of leaving it in you car and it being found. And empty/opened can/bottle/cask is worse than a full one when you are caught.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 842198

Reply By: Bigfish - Monday, Jun 15, 2015 at 14:44

Monday, Jun 15, 2015 at 14:44
Plenty of idiots around who reckon they are above the law. The grog rules were brought in for a reason.If I have to tell you why they were brought in well, you would have to be deaf and blind. I,ve seen the crap that happens as a result of the grog. I,ve also been stopped and searched. Several times in Arnhem Land. Same laws that apply to your permit. Why would you want to sneak around like a naughty schoolboy when you can have a cuppa and know that you are doing the right thing and hopefully keeping the permit system alive. If the communities get wind that the old whitefella couldn,t give a fig about their permit conditions it wont take long to see no permits issued. As has happened in Arnhem Land many times. If you cant go a couple of days without a beer I,d be booking myself into AA instead of driving in remote areas acting illegally.

I,ve been a big drinker myself and spent decades in remote area work and with community councils.
AnswerID: 555995

Follow Up By: Gronk - Monday, Jun 15, 2015 at 15:40

Monday, Jun 15, 2015 at 15:40
Soap box ???

I didn't imply sneaking around like a schoolboy...I implied being discrete about it..

You've been stopped and searched ?? If I was reading correct, the transport of grog was OK on this part of his journey, so what you did has no correlation to this post..

If the community got wind of someone drinking a few beers in an isolated area out of town, then it's pretty obvious they weren't discrete about it..

Some people get worked up over trivial things in life.....chill out a bit !!
FollowupID: 842076

Follow Up By: Bigfish - Monday, Jun 15, 2015 at 15:47

Monday, Jun 15, 2015 at 15:47
Where I was the transport of grog was also allowed. As is the same with this trip. If it was found that I had an open container or an opened bottle I would have either been due for a court case or confiscation of vehicle and gear (which has happened).

Why stuff it up for others.

This question has been asked on here before and the same answers have been given.
FollowupID: 842077

Follow Up By: deserter - Monday, Jun 15, 2015 at 16:01

Monday, Jun 15, 2015 at 16:01
Gotta feel sorry for people who can't go a day without having a beer.
FollowupID: 842078

Follow Up By: TomH - Monday, Jun 15, 2015 at 16:16

Monday, Jun 15, 2015 at 16:16
Being discrete about it is like speeding and slowing down because you saw a cop.

Its Ok till you get caught.

Rules are rules in these places If you dont want to observe them dont go.

A bit like the idiots this week in Malaysia who thought no one would worry if they stripped off on a mountain that was sacred to the locals.

Big mistake.

Similar in Canada We were out with a Head Park ranger when we went past a big ute and a boat surrounded by rangers.
He said two guys had been caught 100yards inside the national park carrying rifles.

Big mistake Everything was confiscated FOREVER No recoruse.
Perhaps they should start that here. LOL
FollowupID: 842079

Follow Up By: Alloy c/t - Monday, Jun 15, 2015 at 16:28

Monday, Jun 15, 2015 at 16:28
deserter , you may feel sorry for people who can't go a day without having a beer , but I and many others I'm sure feel sorry that we as a nation feel it necessary to implement draconian laws onto legal of age adults consuming a legal product ,
FollowupID: 842080

Follow Up By: Shaker - Monday, Jun 15, 2015 at 16:56

Monday, Jun 15, 2015 at 16:56
It's not unlike no smoking laws, you most likely don't let people smoke in your house, they don't want people drinking on their lands, what's the difference?
FollowupID: 842083

Follow Up By: Gronk - Monday, Jun 15, 2015 at 17:50

Monday, Jun 15, 2015 at 17:50
OK Stevo......don't do it !!!...you're most likely to get shot or speared....your 4wd is going to be confiscated....you will end up in court and most likely go to jail for 3 years....

And wake up to yourself, alcohol does NOT need to be consumed...just because it's LEGAL to drink, it's bad for you, so don't take any at all !!

And BTW, I'll probably never visit that area of Australia because as an Australian I don't agree with paying money to visit Australia..
FollowupID: 842089

Follow Up By: Member - Stevo_62 - Monday, Jun 15, 2015 at 17:56

Monday, Jun 15, 2015 at 17:56
Thanks Gronk , I've been made aware of my problem , will wake up to myself and book into AA before I go
cheers Mate
FollowupID: 842090

Follow Up By: Member - backtracks - Monday, Jun 15, 2015 at 18:39

Monday, Jun 15, 2015 at 18:39
Wow, some serious high horses here !!
FollowupID: 842097

Follow Up By: Member - backtracks - Monday, Jun 15, 2015 at 18:42

Monday, Jun 15, 2015 at 18:42
I think stevo62 was asking for people's experiences, not moralising. Better book me in too !!
FollowupID: 842098

Follow Up By: TomH - Monday, Jun 15, 2015 at 18:49

Monday, Jun 15, 2015 at 18:49
No high horses He asked a question The answer is no, its illegal.

FollowupID: 842101

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Monday, Jun 15, 2015 at 18:51

Monday, Jun 15, 2015 at 18:51
Thanks guys for doing the right thing and speaking up. Being discrete and sneaking around are the same thing.

No he wasn't backtracks. He wanted us to tell him that we do it and so it should be okay for him to do it also.

Phil
FollowupID: 842102

Follow Up By: Echucan Bob - Tuesday, Jun 16, 2015 at 22:03

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2015 at 22:03
I've never read such sanctimonious bollocks in my life. Firstly, alcohol consumed in moderate quantities has no effect on any one but the consumer (unlike cigarettes which are offensive to anyone breathing the same air).

I have travelled all over Australia, including aboriginal lands, consuming moderate amounts of alcohol ever day. I have never caused any harm or offence. I have never been confronted by any person, official or otherwise, in the execution of that activity.

Bigfish, you are a tosser mate. I am not above the law. I reckon the law is irrelevant.

Bob
FollowupID: 842167

Follow Up By: Steve in Kakadu - Wednesday, Jun 17, 2015 at 07:09

Wednesday, Jun 17, 2015 at 07:09
Echucan Bob

"I am not above the law. I reckon the law is irrelevant."

Tell that to the copper when he is taking your car and all your gear off you, Then you can tell it to the judge.

What a foolish statement to make, remember this when you eventual get caught, police love smart blokes like you arguing the point, it makes their job easier to carry out.
FollowupID: 842175

Follow Up By: Bigfish - Wednesday, Jun 17, 2015 at 19:07

Wednesday, Jun 17, 2015 at 19:07
Echucan Bob..You are a moron. Do you really think bragging on here that you consider yourself above the law and that drinking grog every day makes you a hero of some sort. You are a dead set wanker..by your own admission you have stated that you have travelled all over Australia , including Aboriginal lands and every day you have grog. Yet you have never caused an offence

So grog drank in moderate quantities has no effect on anyone? Your a fool...domestic violence, driving under influence, break ins and thefts are carried out by people who want more grog.

I think your brain is pickled mate and as an alcoholic your living in denial.

FollowupID: 842210

Reply By: Member Andys Adventures - Monday, Jun 15, 2015 at 18:50

Monday, Jun 15, 2015 at 18:50
They allow you to transverse their land and ask you not to drink alcohol while on their land. So you are not put out finding it once you left their land. Don't think you can just put it away when someone comes. Your breath will smell of it and then you have a problem, either them wanting (taking it) all your grog or report you. The first being my guess.

Respect there wishes and law or you are just white trash, trashing their land in there eyes.

We gaol them for breaking our law, and so you are gaoled if you break there laws.

You may think your alone in the paddock but there are many eyes looking at you.

Keep your grog in your car unopened until you leave their land it's that simple or Don't go.

Cheers Andy

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 556003

Follow Up By: Member - backtracks - Monday, Jun 15, 2015 at 19:11

Monday, Jun 15, 2015 at 19:11
Interesting comments . Maybe I havnt traveled the right tracks, but I couldn't get caught doing anything by anyone for days ! Where are all these people waiting to catch you sneeze ?!!
FollowupID: 842104

Follow Up By: Gronk - Monday, Jun 15, 2015 at 19:23

Monday, Jun 15, 2015 at 19:23
I didn't know Australia had 2 sets of laws ??

I'm not aware of anyone being jailed for breaking "their" laws.....I didn't know "they" had their own laws ??

I don't agree with it being "their" land, so I certainly won't offend anyone because I won't go there !!
FollowupID: 842105

Follow Up By: cookie1 - Monday, Jun 15, 2015 at 19:29

Monday, Jun 15, 2015 at 19:29
Agree, we travelled through the Lands last year and respected the wishes and the laws by travelling through until we were out of their backyard, a bit like not wanting random people turn up and have a drinking session on your lawn at home.

Hadn't ever thought about grog on the breath and the consequences as such as we don't put ourselves in that situation but well noted.

I've said it many times before with permits, just because you don't get stopped doesn't mean they don't know you are on their land so a bit of respect goes a long way and hopefully we can enjoy their backyards for many years to come

cheers
FollowupID: 842106

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Monday, Jun 15, 2015 at 20:30

Monday, Jun 15, 2015 at 20:30
"their land"???

Which part of Australia isn't "their land"

If you honestly subscribe to the concept of "their land" and "our land" e.g. your backyard or any commonly used street or whatever, why don't you pack up your stuff and go back to your ancestral homeland?

Or maybe the entirety should be ours collectively.

Just a thought

Cheers
Pop
FollowupID: 842110

Follow Up By: cookie1 - Monday, Jun 15, 2015 at 20:48

Monday, Jun 15, 2015 at 20:48
Pop settle down mate and not make this personal

By their land I am meaning the land for which they are occupying there are several mobs that occupy various lands, such as Birriliburu, Martu, Ngurrara & Tjurabalan just on the Canning alone so I see this as their home and as such respect it as such.

You have taken what I have said very deeply why I do not know but I think that you need to maybe calm down and respect others opinions as they respect yours

You know nothing about me or where I come from - I am a proud Australian - this is my home

cheers
FollowupID: 842111

Follow Up By: Gronk - Monday, Jun 15, 2015 at 22:21

Monday, Jun 15, 2015 at 22:21
I think he was talking to me ??

I agree with the entirety being ours...that is all the people who are Australians..

FollowupID: 842113

Follow Up By: Member - johnat - Tuesday, Jun 16, 2015 at 20:20

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2015 at 20:20
Gronk,
Your comment "I'm not aware of anyone being jailed for breaking "their" laws.....I didn't know "they" had their own laws ??" makes no sense.
The laws that prohibits alcohol consumption there is a national law - os if you want to segregate it, it is OUR law. The aboriginal nations had no need for laws relating to alcohol because they had no alcohol.

Fact is there are different laws for consumption of alcohol in many places - alcohol free zones abound in cities all over Aus, for example.
This is just another restriction on where you can drink booze - it shouldn't be a major drama. Only problem with not having a drink is that it will evaporate! ;)
FollowupID: 842151

Follow Up By: Gronk - Tuesday, Jun 16, 2015 at 21:28

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2015 at 21:28
I was replying to someone else's post that implied "they" had laws different to "ours"..

I don't like referring to "them" and "us" because we are all Australians......and it's why I don't agree with "us" needing permission to travel through "their" land..

FollowupID: 842159

Follow Up By: Steve in Kakadu - Tuesday, Jun 16, 2015 at 21:55

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2015 at 21:55
So Gronk you would be happy for me to camp in your back yard and do as I please without your permission ?

What is your address ?
FollowupID: 842165

Follow Up By: Gronk - Wednesday, Jun 17, 2015 at 00:01

Wednesday, Jun 17, 2015 at 00:01
You don't understand where I'm coming from....I've heard all this stuff before.....they live in a community.....why can't I travel along the road thru the top end and thru their community.....I have no interest to go into their backyard !! The government gave them a large land grant, but that doesn't mean I have to agree with it .. But don't worry, I will never go into an area where I have to pay for the privilege of driving along a public road..

They are allowed to travel thru all of Australia and thru our community....but obviously not our backyard either !!

I never mentioned doing as I pleased, that's why I won't go there, I can still understand a law...even if I don't agree with it ..
FollowupID: 842173

Follow Up By: Bigfish - Wednesday, Jun 17, 2015 at 07:32

Wednesday, Jun 17, 2015 at 07:32
So gronk will never pay to go on a public road. Ever since you have been driving you have been paying!!! Most permits are free! Your not allowed to drink in a huge amount of public areas in Aus. You have signed a legal binding paper that spells out expected behaviour and responsibilities.

One of the big issues is the people who are on the outskirts of the community getting wind of travellers camped out along the track and targeting them for grog. This is when the humbugging begins and can lead to violence. Now many on here will say.."oh, but its never happened to me". And how many years have you been on that track? I,ve had it happen because I spent a lot of time in remote areas where grog is an issue.

At the end of the day there is one simple thing to do.

Man up..don't sneak around with grog. Contact the local copper and tell them you reckon its all crap and you,ll be right to have a sneaky drink.

Rather than passing through I think a few people need to spend a few days in some of the grog affected communities and realise what S*&^holes of violence and despair they are because of grog.
FollowupID: 842177

Follow Up By: Gronk - Wednesday, Jun 17, 2015 at 08:06

Wednesday, Jun 17, 2015 at 08:06
Bigfish, you're right , I do pay rego, so in effect I pay to travel on PUBLIC roads.....
So, the roads thru say Arnhem Land are NOT public roads ?? Is that correct ?? If they are private roads, who pays for their upkeep ?? Who pays if you have an accident on a PRIVATE road ??

Don't have a go at me for grog issues that people have brought on themselves...and I haven't said I would break any rules regarding drinking out there either..but I haven't said I wouldn't either..

You know why those communities have problems with drugs and alcohol....they are stuck out there with nothing to do...no purpose to their lives...stuck in a time warp between old and new cultures....and no one has the proper answer on how to fix it ..
FollowupID: 842178

Follow Up By: Sigmund - Wednesday, Jun 17, 2015 at 10:28

Wednesday, Jun 17, 2015 at 10:28
Gronk said "The government gave them a large land grant".

It's not a gift. It's a matter of establishing a long-standing traditional occupation, use of or cultural connection to the land to the satisfaction of a court. And it's not freehold that is granted by the court but certain use and occupation rights as far as I understand it.
FollowupID: 842183

Reply By: Steve in Kakadu - Monday, Jun 15, 2015 at 22:10

Monday, Jun 15, 2015 at 22:10
Steve this law was brought about by Mal Brough and John Howard.

Like it or lump it, it is a serious offence to consume alcohol in the NT on aboriginal land, if it is found that you have done so the penalties are harsh.

You will forfeit all that you have in your possession, there are fines of $50,000 or more and or Jail.

If you are searched and it is found that you have in your possession an open wine bottle or an open spirit bottle, or empty beer bottle's / cans, it may be deemed that you have broken the law and it is you that will have to defend yourself in court.

Do you really want that hassle, for a few coldies, or just wait a day or so to have a beer, I have had to wait and trust me I enjoy a beer on a warm day I will give you the tip.

You could of course bury the evidence but that would be littering and that would be up to your conscious.

Have a great time and think about the consequences, remember this is not the traditional owners decision but a government one.
AnswerID: 556016

Reply By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Jun 16, 2015 at 00:11

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2015 at 00:11
Carrying - but only a reasonable for your personal consumption, and unopened. Yes, unlikely to get 'inspected' but you could be considerably out of pocket if caught.

"As each community is responsible for that community's Alcohol Management Plan, the specific requirements need to be sought from the Land Council for that region.

The intent of the legislation is to prevent supplying of alcohol (sly grog) in communities where alcohol is prohibited. When transiting on regular tourist routes without going into the communities, there is unlikely to be any issue if the quantity carried is reasonable for one’s own consumption only, and that containers are sealed thus proving none has been consumed whilst in the prescribed area.Check with the Land Council for that area to ensure you do not break the law. "

The above applies to Prescribed Areas in the Northern Territory.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 556022

Reply By: Sigmund - Tuesday, Jun 16, 2015 at 12:23

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2015 at 12:23
It's simple. If you don't intend to observe the terms of a contract then don't enter into it.
AnswerID: 556030

Reply By: The Landy - Tuesday, Jun 16, 2015 at 13:11

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2015 at 13:11
Like many laws that are enacted in Australia, there are those who will be of the view that they are inappropriate, unenforceable, or not applicable to them.

Of course, there are people that will break any law if it suits the purpose at the time.

I suspect this particular law falls into the “if no-one sees me or catches me than it is okay”. A bit like speeding “just a little”, it is easy to justify...after all , it is harmless, right?

I’m not intending to lecture anyone on the use of alcohol on aboriginal lands where it is prohibited any more than I will on speeding, the choice to comply, or otherwise rests with the individual.

But what I think might be worth reflecting on as you drink a toast to a setting sun in the Australian Outback is the reason the bans or prohibitions have been put in place on aboriginal lands. Primarily to restrict alcohol access into communities where alcohol and violence are a partnered couple…

Fortunately, most of us don’t live with that couple, tragically many do across all social groups and backgrounds in Australia. The bans that have been put in place by these communities are a positive step in trying to deal with it.

So respect this law as best you can, but in the least give some thought to why it is in place…

Baz – The Landy
AnswerID: 556033

Follow Up By: Alloy c/t - Tuesday, Jun 16, 2015 at 15:13

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2015 at 15:13
All good and well , but , by that thinking we need to introduce alcohol bans not just in aboriginal communities , the Valley in Brisbane , Surfers on the Gold Coast , 50% of Cairns , Kings Cross in Sydney Etc Etc Etc , The problem does not stop because of 'prohibition' .. It simply moves to another area , you only have to travel to the area's where prohibition is in place to see on the outskirts the mountains of empties ….
FollowupID: 842135

Follow Up By: The Landy - Tuesday, Jun 16, 2015 at 16:04

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2015 at 16:04
"So respect this law as best you can, but in the least give some thought to why it is in place…"
FollowupID: 842137

Follow Up By: cookie1 - Tuesday, Jun 16, 2015 at 16:04

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2015 at 16:04
I vividly remember a conversation with a Police Officer who was on a break from the Lands and he had me in tears telling a story of a girl aged 9 whose parents fell into the Alcohol & Violence struggle, her brother took his life at 22, she felt helpless so at age 9 she too committed suicide.

Unfortunately there is nothing we can do except for trying to break the cycle, and that means not consuming alcohol where it is not permitted thus ensuring that it minimises the problem, I know there are those that will make a business running alcohol into the communities, but they do catch them.

cheers
FollowupID: 842138

Follow Up By: ChrisVal7 - Tuesday, Jun 16, 2015 at 22:28

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2015 at 22:28
Motherhen's response above is perfectly correct. It is a requirement not to consume alcohol while traversing these roads. We have just finished travelling the Gary Junction Road and were on the Great Central Road two years ago. Not once were we asked for our permits and locals all told us that they had never heard of travellers being asked to show the permit.

But it is easy enough to get the permits and for peace of mind we do the right thing and carry the required pemits.

I will not moralise about drinking alcohol on the GJR. People do choose to have a cold drink at the end of a day's travel. They run a very small risk of being caught but it is a personal choice whether they break the rules. The folk I saw having an alcoholic drink had no addiction problems. But the communities certainly do have problems, hence the laws. I make no judgement either way about drinking alcohol in these areas.
FollowupID: 842171

Follow Up By: Shaker - Wednesday, Jun 17, 2015 at 20:04

Wednesday, Jun 17, 2015 at 20:04
Think of it like this, if you had a rental property & the tenants signed a lease with a no pets clause, would you be upset if you found out that they had a couple of dogs inside your house??
FollowupID: 842211

Follow Up By: Gronk - Wednesday, Jun 17, 2015 at 20:49

Wednesday, Jun 17, 2015 at 20:49
Geez, it's gone from an enquiry about having a couple of cold beers to a rental property ???

So, is a permit anything like a lease ??? nah, didn't think so !!

And if I need a permit to travel over some land...is it public land or private land ??
FollowupID: 842213

Follow Up By: Member - Stevo_62 - Wednesday, Jun 17, 2015 at 21:11

Wednesday, Jun 17, 2015 at 21:11
Hey Gronk , hope no one reads Omaa's thread 119212 and attached blog or they're gonna cop a lecture as well !!!
FollowupID: 842215

Follow Up By: Steve in Kakadu - Wednesday, Jun 17, 2015 at 21:33

Wednesday, Jun 17, 2015 at 21:33
Steve how many ways do you need to be told it isn't the right thing to do, if you want to be a smart arse then ask your questions else where.

Personal if you want to drink on aboriginal land and break you agreement, then do so, but don't come back here and whinge later.

My EXPERIENCE is if you get caught your in the sh1t, take it or leave it.

If you don't think you will like the answer to a question then don't friggin ask it.
FollowupID: 842216

Follow Up By: Shaker - Wednesday, Jun 17, 2015 at 22:21

Wednesday, Jun 17, 2015 at 22:21
My point was that an agreement is an agreement, regardless of its reference, an application for a permit constitutes a contract, if you don't intend to abide by it, don't enter in to it!!
FollowupID: 842217

Follow Up By: The Landy - Wednesday, Jun 17, 2015 at 22:50

Wednesday, Jun 17, 2015 at 22:50
I'll just take you all back to my original point "give some thought to why these laws are in place".

Alcohol and violence, partners in abuse, or the scourge of many outback communities...

It is worth reflecting on...well at least that is my viewpoint!

Baz - The Landy
FollowupID: 842219

Reply By: Member - ACD 1 - Wednesday, Jun 17, 2015 at 22:18

Wednesday, Jun 17, 2015 at 22:18
Gee Steve - you've copped a bit of a hiding from some of the forum. You've also received some "support" for your intended actions.

Can I ask the question;

"Why did you bother applying for a permit to travel through Aboriginal Lands if you didn't intend to comply with the conditions set out in it?"

My personal opinion is that your actions are extremely "fool hardy".

What I mean by this is that you have applied for and received permits which you have (by way of the application process) entered into an aggrement with the traditional land owners that you openly intend to break. The consequences of your intended choice is clearly set out in the permits that you have applied for and accepted.

You have openly stated your intentions on a public forum - you have a public profile so now every one knows that "Steve from Queensland will be driving a white 2002 Holden Rodeo crew cab four wheel drive with white canopy along the Gary Junction Road", including the Traditional Owners from whom you applied for a permit.

You are not dealing with a "bunch of technologically illiterate savages". Remember you would have applied online for your permit. I wonder if they might not read this forum and might even consider cancelling your permit?

The elders of these communities are trying to make a difference for the safety and future of their people. Why can't you accept and respect that and abide by the contract you have entered into?

At the end of the day it will be your choice whichever way you go - I know they way I would go and the type of person I would respect.

Enjoy your trip.

Regards

Anthony

AnswerID: 556093

Follow Up By: Gronk - Wednesday, Jun 17, 2015 at 23:04

Wednesday, Jun 17, 2015 at 23:04
Anthony......he never said he wasn't going to comply with whatever the permit says....he asked what others thought...and he got a lot of answers..

When you go onto a thread, it's best to read the 1st post and see what someone actually asked..

One question I asked still hasn't been answered, and that is....is the Gary Junction road a public rd or a private rd ??
FollowupID: 842220

Follow Up By: Member - ACD 1 - Wednesday, Jun 17, 2015 at 23:49

Wednesday, Jun 17, 2015 at 23:49
Gronk

I did read Steve's original post and all the others - over the last several days.

I have pasted Steves post so you don't have to scroll back up to the top.

"I have my permits for NT & WA sections of Gary Junction Rd. Permit allowes alcohol to be transported through Aboriginal Lands but not consumed on them. What are peoples experiences , does anyone check or police this condition ?Is it safe to have a coldie after a hard day behind the wheel ?"

He states he has the permits - identifies the contract.

He acknowledges the conditions of the the permit - demonstrates understanding of the contract

He asks others if the conditions will be policed - identifies that he understands there are consequences if the contract is breached.

He asks if it is "safe" to breach the conditions - demonstrates intent.

That seems petty clear cut to me that he isn't going to comply to me Gronk! I think it might even meet the conditions of "premeditation".

Even if I read back over Steve's replies, I don't think I will find one that states he DOES intend to comply. Given the veracity of the responses he has received, one would assume he would've stated his intentions by now.

With reference to your question;

"One question I asked still hasn't been answered, and that is....is the Gary Junction road a public rd or a private rd ??

If you read your followup, I think you might find you were having a rant about Arnhem Land. You did not ask a question about the Gary Junction Road.

Again I have pasted it here so you don't have to scroll up

Gronk posted:

Bigfish, you're right , I do pay rego, so in effect I pay to travel on PUBLIC roads.....
So, the roads thru say Arnhem Land are NOT public roads ?? Is that correct ?? If they are private roads, who pays for their upkeep ?? Who pays if you have an accident on a PRIVATE road ??

What is they say?

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt!"

Regards

Anthony

FollowupID: 842222

Follow Up By: Member - Stevo_62 - Thursday, Jun 18, 2015 at 07:04

Thursday, Jun 18, 2015 at 07:04
Hi Anthony , yes I have copped a bit of flack & maybe been a bit prejudged by some , but maybe that's because I should have included a bit more info in original question.
Contrary to some of the assumptions expressed by previous replies to this thread , I rarely drink alcohol and regularly travel solo in remote areas with none in my possession. I sometimes carry a small amount to socialize with fellow travelers as it is fairly common to be invited to join other campers for their "happy hour" and be offered some of their beers if you don't have your own. The reason I asked the original question is that this time I will have a mate travelling with me who does enjoy a beer most afternoons.
As others have said above I have experienced other laws that are not enforced. For example I have been to National Parks where fires are banned but local ranger checked that I had enough wood !
As I have not travelled Gary Hwy before I just wanted to hear local experiences. I didn't want to tell my mate we couldn't have a beer and they get to Jupiter Well and find every other camper sitting around enjoying a "happy hour" , then he would have given me a flogging !
I did not defend my self earlier as I have been amazed at the number of responses and passion expressed about this subject.
For the record , I will be happy to have my vehicle & contents inspected for compliance if requested. I don't intend to risk my holiday , vehicle & contents for the sake of a couple of dry days.
Thanks all for the advice offered
FollowupID: 842225

Reply By: ModSquad - Thursday, Jun 18, 2015 at 08:25

Thursday, Jun 18, 2015 at 08:25
This thread has run its course and little else of value is being provided to the OP. The thread will be locked.

regards

The Squad
Moderation is just rules

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 556101

Sponsored Links