Condition Report Skull Springs Road from Marble Bar to Nullagine

Yesterday we drove from Carawine Gorge to Nullagine on the Woodie Woodie/ Skull Springs Road. Absolutely beautiful country and the road was in good condition. They have had good rains in the area in the past month or so and the wildflowers are just coming out now. The road had no sandy patches or water over creeks likely to cause any problems to the average 4WD vehicle. Water over the Davis Creek was about 30cm deep and going down each day.

It is slow going due to the dips and minor washouts. With a full height Kedron caravan (read heavy caravan) we took about five hours to drive the 170 kms.

The scenery was breathtaking.
Back Expand Un-Read 3 Moderator

Reply By: Mick O - Tuesday, Jun 16, 2015 at 23:08

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2015 at 23:08
Thanks Chris and Val. Good to get a report on a great piece of country. We've always loved the eastern Pilbara. Safe Travels,

Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 556059

Reply By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Wednesday, Jun 17, 2015 at 08:26

Wednesday, Jun 17, 2015 at 08:26
Thanks for that Chris and Val. We will be there in just a few weeks and will take that diversion. Looking forward to it.
Cheers
Allan

AnswerID: 556065

Follow Up By: Member - John Baas (WA) - Wednesday, Jun 17, 2015 at 21:02

Wednesday, Jun 17, 2015 at 21:02
Good to see you're out and about our way Allan. We'll be heading Kimberleys/NT way mid next month ourselves. Greetings to your better half.

Re the Diversion, there's an excellent scenic option as shown on the image, with a top camping spot on the Oakover. Depth hopefully won't be a problem for the crossing and the bottom is gravelly but stable. Don't miss Running Waters; make sure you walk to the swimming hole - it's a bit rough the last 100M so better to walk in.

Cheers.
FollowupID: 842214

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Wednesday, Jun 17, 2015 at 23:27

Wednesday, Jun 17, 2015 at 23:27
Thanks John. Good to hear from you and my regards to Chris.

That whole Pilbara area looks so good we may have trouble leaving it.
Any permits required for the Diversion or the Pool or campgrounds?
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 842221

Follow Up By: Member - John Baas (WA) - Thursday, Jun 18, 2015 at 00:04

Thursday, Jun 18, 2015 at 00:04
Hi Allan.

No, no permits are necessary as far as I know. The 'diversion' I have recommended is not that well known by the average punter, compared to the 'main drag', but it's certainly not neglected - the track is basically as per the pic - a few rutted sections but nothing an exp desert traveller should be worried about.

We did it from S to N - might not be as scenic the other way?? Leaving the river heading N, watch out for a projecting rock under a bush on the left a few 100M further on - I lost a near new BFG on it.

Email me if you would like insights into other parts of the Pilbara; I'll send plotfiles as necessary.

Cheers.
FollowupID: 842223

Follow Up By: Member - Errol (York WA) - Thursday, Jun 18, 2015 at 21:16

Thursday, Jun 18, 2015 at 21:16
Agree with John. We were in there last year. One of the best camps in that area. But. If you are toeing a van, and coming in from the Woody Woody Rd, there is one gully that mite give you a bit of trouble. Camp trailer will be no problem. You drive along a creek bed witch is a bit wind'e. Coming in from the other way, I haven't been in that way for a number of years. From memory, there was a couple of gully's to go through, but that may have changed. Errol
FollowupID: 842249

Follow Up By: Member - Errol (York WA) - Thursday, Jun 18, 2015 at 21:18

Thursday, Jun 18, 2015 at 21:18
Forgot to say, I filmed the track in, but it may be to big to send to you. Errol
FollowupID: 842250

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Saturday, Jun 20, 2015 at 06:13

Saturday, Jun 20, 2015 at 06:13
Note that Carawine Gorge and surrounding country is private property and part of Warrawagine Station.
They are generous people to allow camping on their property as they do.
We owe it to them and others that will wish to follow to take care of it and do the "right thing".

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 Motorhome
AnswerID: 556156

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Saturday, Jun 20, 2015 at 08:10

Saturday, Jun 20, 2015 at 08:10
Duly noted.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 842284

Sponsored Links