Palm Valley NT

Hi All

We are heading out on a road trip from Adelaide to Uluru, Kings Canyon back home via Alice Springs with a couple of Jayco Swans in tow in September. It would make sense to camp at Palm Valley, but I'm unsure about the road to the camp site. Can we get in with them? Anyone got photo's or video of the road in?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Les - PK Ranger - Sunday, Jun 28, 2015 at 21:55

Sunday, Jun 28, 2015 at 21:55
Having been in there in an Oka a few years ago, you'd be ok with Swans, just take it easy.
To the campground only mind you, not the end of the track, which gets a bit bumpier.

We are headed there in about 2-1/2 weeks, after a Simmo crossing and West Macs tour.
AnswerID: 556470

Follow Up By: Neil J2 - Sunday, Jun 28, 2015 at 22:11

Sunday, Jun 28, 2015 at 22:11
Thanks Les

Get the camera out on the way in please? Its mainly a road trip we are going on but both are experienced off roaders just conscious of damaging the trailers (normally travel with 4wds and no trailers).
FollowupID: 842648

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Monday, Jun 29, 2015 at 01:55

Monday, Jun 29, 2015 at 01:55
Ok Neil,
I'll take note of anything that might be an issue, and get some pics, and I can probably get some of the dash cam video off too, if there's anything that I feel you should see.
We went on this Oka tour after a Larapinta Track walk, the Finke was pretty dry when we went in at the west end of the West Macs, and between there and Alice, it bucketed down for 4 days (out of 19).
The Finke crossing on the way ot Palm Valley was flowing pretty well by then, but only around 400mm depth.
That could be your only issue if it was flowing.
FollowupID: 842654

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Sunday, Jul 19, 2015 at 01:45

Sunday, Jul 19, 2015 at 01:45
Neil, if you still want some videos of the road in, can you email me at figjam62@gmail dot com ?? (Fix the dot bit.)

I have all the footage off my dash cam to get sorted, but am happy to slice out any bits that may be of interest.
It's only the 15km in to the campground and out again, and as mentioned, if there is rain and the Fike is flowing, our plans may need to be changed.

You will get the Swans in fine if you take it easy where necessary, the campground is excellent with good shade etc, toilets, showers are set just warm enough to cope with a quick shower, any warmer and people would linger too long :)
FollowupID: 843451

Reply By: Member - Warrie (NSW) - Sunday, Jun 28, 2015 at 22:00

Sunday, Jun 28, 2015 at 22:00
Hi Neil, click on this link to see pix and read a description of Palm Valley Campground. Or you can read my blog here http://www.exploroz.com/Members/136941.500/11/2009/The_Red_Centre_-_May_2009__Palm_Valley.aspx Cheers... W
Warrie

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 556473

Reply By: DaveO*ST-R - Sunday, Jun 28, 2015 at 22:01

Sunday, Jun 28, 2015 at 22:01
Neil,

The road into the campground is 20 odd k's long from memory. It follows the Finke River and both times I have been there, it was dry. There are a few sandy and/or rocky spots but it is not difficult at all and you should have no problems taking the campers in. You just need to drive to the conditions, which is rather slow at times. (I assume you will be in 4x4's) I took my off road camper trailer in both times and had zero issues. The campground is not all that big and there are a limited number of "sites". We were lucky to get a spot the last time we were there. A great place to visit. Enjoy.

Cheers,

Dave
AnswerID: 556474

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Monday, Jun 29, 2015 at 01:57

Monday, Jun 29, 2015 at 01:57
Dave I spoke to the ranger there the other day, he said try and get in by 2pm ish (we are going to be there in school hols).
Was also advsied there is an overflow campground.
Was this the case when you visited ? And what month / year, if you recall ?
FollowupID: 842655

Follow Up By: DaveO*ST-R - Monday, Jun 29, 2015 at 10:28

Monday, Jun 29, 2015 at 10:28
Les,

Yes, a good idea to get there as early as possible. (Take over a site as someone else pulls out to move on) I do remember an overflow campgound but we did not need to use it. Mind you, I think we took the last spot in the main area. What the overflow area is like, I don't know. The first time we went there was around August - beautiful weather. The second time was in November a couple of years ago - made a bit of a blue there - too late in the year and way too hot for me - 40c at Palm Valley in a camper with limited shade in the site we had !! There are solar showers and flushing toilets etc. which were a real bonus.

Cheers

Dave
FollowupID: 842666

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Monday, Jun 29, 2015 at 02:50

Monday, Jun 29, 2015 at 02:50
Ring the rangers for the latest advice...they are quite helpful. Yes re the overflow area....close to the main ground. Its a good gravel road of quite a few km to start with, then the very firm Finke riverbed for most of the remainder. The only snag can be a few soft sandy sections, but all doable, probably without tyre 'air down'...plenty of vans and campers are taken in. You'd just need good to take it quite easy in a few places. A top spot ...the Mpara walk is a beauty....the lower valley walk too.
AnswerID: 556476

Reply By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Jun 30, 2015 at 00:25

Tuesday, Jun 30, 2015 at 00:25
The river bed varies after rain which can wash the sand into different places. If was hard in a fairly dry in 2008. We took our caravan in, but the campground did not have many sites big enough. We got into a long coach site. I think they have since expanded the campground with an open area more suited to larger rigs.

Well worth spending two or three days there. You can see our My Blogs
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 556504

Follow Up By: Coenen N & G (WA) - Tuesday, Jun 30, 2015 at 21:40

Tuesday, Jun 30, 2015 at 21:40
We took an off road camper in ther a few uears ago. It is rough but slow going will get you there. The main issue is the large slabs of rock that you drive over, but from memory we just took it easynand had no trouble.
FollowupID: 842746

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Jun 30, 2015 at 21:56

Tuesday, Jun 30, 2015 at 21:56
Driving on the flat looking rocks was on the way to the Valley of Palms beyond the campground, and that is not one to tow anything on. Very slow going and watching clearance under car.

It got harder after the Valley of Cycads, and those who knew left their vehicles there and walked a further kilometre to the Valley of Palms, where a longer walk through the valley commences. Our neighbouring campers had a heavy camper built on a Landcruiser trayback, and chose to walk all the way following the creek from the campground rather than drive.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 842750

Reply By: Fab72 - Sunday, Jul 05, 2015 at 09:19

Sunday, Jul 05, 2015 at 09:19
Neil,
I've driven in there with a Holden Astra in a good year. It can change week on week though. Best ask closer to the date.
Astra at Palm Valley

Fab.
AnswerID: 556684

Reply By: Les - PK Ranger - Wednesday, Jul 22, 2015 at 16:59

Wednesday, Jul 22, 2015 at 16:59
Neil, as emailed just now, a few links to youtube vids of hte track in general and specific places that needs slower speeds.
The track has some corros and bulldust patches, but nothing major.
A little soft sand here and there.
You should be fine with slow and steady and run tyres all round (vehicle and trailer) at say 22psi, all bets off ir the Finke is flowing.
At the park boundary, there are a couple of speed bumps (half pipes sticking up), and narrowed section, to slow people right down for the strips of electrified wires to stop ferals entering the park.
Hope these help.
Cheers,
Les

General track 1
General track 2
General track 3
Finke River 1
Finke River 2
Finke Nat Pk entry
Palm Ck camp road
AnswerID: 557286

Follow Up By: Neil J2 - Wednesday, Jul 22, 2015 at 17:13

Wednesday, Jul 22, 2015 at 17:13
Thanks Les much appreciated!
FollowupID: 843576

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Wednesday, Jul 22, 2015 at 17:18

Wednesday, Jul 22, 2015 at 17:18
Easy done.
Now if you ask me about driving the Old Ghan to Alice, you'd get a huge warning off that idea !!
Easily one of the worst roads I have been on ever.
FollowupID: 843578

Sponsored Links