What happened to our pubs (Where is your favourite)

Submitted: Friday, Jul 03, 2015 at 11:54
ThreadID: 119381 Views:3351 Replies:18 FollowUps:23
This Thread has been Archived
Have we gentrified our pubs so much that the life and soul of “the local” has all but disappeared? The thought came to mind recently as I sat in the bistro of our local, a typical suburban pub in Sydney within walking distance from home.

I lamented that there wasn’t anything as simple as bangers and mash on the menu as I drank a beer served in a glass that would look more at home as a vase...

Let’s face it there is nothing better than the company of friends and good pub food washed down with a couple of schooners of Fourex. Not some beer brewed with water taken from a stream on the eastern side of a mountain in some place I couldn’t pronounce even if I wasn’t into my third schooner.

I mean, what’s wrong with a good old Fourex? Okay, VB or Carlton Draught if you prefer and a Chardy for the girls…

Perhaps I’m showing my class here, (I did say class) but one of the things I truly look forward to is a trip into the bush, the outback, down a dusty track where you are likely to develop a thirst that can only be quenched with a schooner or two at day's end in a pub that is most likely called “The Royal” or maybe “The Railway”.

Crikey, even Mrs Landy has been known to down a beer or two in these revered establishments!

It’ll be nothing fancy mind you, a few bar stools here and there, mostly occupied by Bluey and the boys who’ll tip their hats and give you a G’day as you step through the door. The menu simple, but tasty and its okay to toss your dog a couple of scraps to clean off the plate when you’re done…

The conversation is typical, but mostly amusing, no-one is taking it too seriously, or concerned that you are wearing the right clothes, after all shorts and singlets are the go, if you like, and you’re not going to need to mortgage ya’ house when it comes to your turn to shout!

Crikey, Mrs Landy and I have enjoyed some great moments in some out of the way places in the Australian Bush, the Outback – and we might have had just that one too many on an occasion here and there, but that is usually because our classic pubs in the bush are timeless, especially when the amber fluid flows and the banter ramps up!

Over the next couple of months “The Landy” will be pointed westward towards the Gibson Desert region and I’ll be making sure the route is long and dusty as there is nothing better than dropping into a “real” pub at the end of a day’s drive just to say, G’day!

Cheers, Baz – The Landy (It's Friday - bring on beer o'clock!)
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Member - ACD 1 - Friday, Jul 03, 2015 at 12:47

Friday, Jul 03, 2015 at 12:47
Couldn't agree more Baz.

Latte sipping, skinny legged trouser wearing, purple open necked slim fit shirts with pumped up pecs showing and pointy toed patent leather black shoe'd publicans. Yeah!

One of my fav pubs (booked it out for 3 days for my wedding) was in Gingin (WA). Now it has a shiny corrugated iron and lacquered wood topped bar. Gone are the days when one of the local girls rocked up with her old mans front end loader poked the bucket (full of ice) through the doors saying "fill ''er up!" Then back off to her 21st.

One of the best loved parts of our lap last year was eating and drinking in the many Outback pubs. Too many to mention but I loved the "Pub in the Paddock" in Tasmania.

Enjoy your trip - remember to drink in moderation. Heaven forbid you loose your licence and get stuck in a faraway pub for three months.

Cheers

Anthony

AnswerID: 556615

Reply By: Bushranger1 - Friday, Jul 03, 2015 at 13:15

Friday, Jul 03, 2015 at 13:15
G'day Baz,
My favourite pub is the Wollombi Tavern in NSW.
Grab some of that "Dr Jurd's Jungle juice" when you leave to have later around the campfire.
Great stuff!

Cheers
Stu
AnswerID: 556618

Follow Up By: The Landy - Friday, Jul 03, 2015 at 14:27

Friday, Jul 03, 2015 at 14:27
Hey Stu, given it is Friday...let's drink a toast to Dr Jurd!

Must say, I know it only too well!

Photo: Baz - The Landy
FollowupID: 842856

Follow Up By: Bushranger1 - Friday, Jul 03, 2015 at 14:36

Friday, Jul 03, 2015 at 14:36
Will do Baz.

I have a flagon of White Port I got from Echuca so when I am done splitting all this wood for the fire I'll drink a toast to Dr Jurd.

Must go back there & get some more Dr Jurd.
FollowupID: 842859

Reply By: Ozrover - Friday, Jul 03, 2015 at 13:31

Friday, Jul 03, 2015 at 13:31
Hey Baz, you need to come out to Poochera, that's exactly why we bought the place, it even has a small caravan park out the back that you can stagger to...
AnswerID: 556619

Follow Up By: The Landy - Friday, Jul 03, 2015 at 14:29

Friday, Jul 03, 2015 at 14:29
Strewth, be careful of what you wish for Jeff.

Actually, I reckon that is a short diversion on the way home in September…checking maps tonight!

Cheers, Baz
FollowupID: 842857

Reply By: get outmore - Friday, Jul 03, 2015 at 14:33

Friday, Jul 03, 2015 at 14:33
while nothing compares to a good old pub,
im lucky enough to be within walking distance of Perths best watering hole

the biggest TV for watching footy and cricket on - so big it wont fit inside
and best of all as drinkings what its all about Perths only Tav you can get a pint for yourself and a glass of red or white for the lady, Hand over $10 and get change at any time of the day!!
AnswerID: 556621

Follow Up By: Member - ACD 1 - Friday, Jul 03, 2015 at 15:37

Friday, Jul 03, 2015 at 15:37
Where pray tell!

Don't make us suffer...........

Cheers

Anthony
FollowupID: 842861

Follow Up By: get outmore - Friday, Jul 03, 2015 at 17:16

Friday, Jul 03, 2015 at 17:16
Put it this way its not in Scarborough. Cottesloe the CBD or freo ... or ony of thehe other spots being seen is more important than big screens Cheap beer and good well priced food is
FollowupID: 842863

Reply By: Member - Peter H1 (NSW) - Friday, Jul 03, 2015 at 16:22

Friday, Jul 03, 2015 at 16:22
I'll put in a word for "The Pioneer Hotel" at Boomi. Good food, Good publican and happy customers.

PeterH
AnswerID: 556623

Reply By: AlbyNSW - Friday, Jul 03, 2015 at 17:05

Friday, Jul 03, 2015 at 17:05
Baz visiting all the outback pubs is one of our trip highlights, we took some friends on a recent trip we did and reckon it is more of a pub crawl than an outback trip hahaha

The pubs are where you get a feel for the character of a place, you see the memorabilia on the walls and see the locals having a beer and a chat

Good times
AnswerID: 556626

Reply By: Frank P (NSW) - Friday, Jul 03, 2015 at 18:08

Friday, Jul 03, 2015 at 18:08
Pub-In-A-Paddock in Tassie.

Toompine, Qld - the pub without a town.
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 556628

Follow Up By: rumpig - Friday, Jul 03, 2015 at 20:35

Friday, Jul 03, 2015 at 20:35
It's funny you mention the Pub in the Paddock Frank...i'm currently wearing a t shirt i brought from there in January when we visited that place. A great pub with fantastic meals to boot, and the publican was a really nice guy.
FollowupID: 842871

Reply By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Friday, Jul 03, 2015 at 18:32

Friday, Jul 03, 2015 at 18:32
Baz you're not going to find a pub in the Gibson, unless you cart your own that is.

Last outback pub I had a drink or three at was Mungerannie on the Birdsville Track. Beer was cold the food hot and the conversation colourful

cheers

Dunc
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 556629

Follow Up By: The Landy - Friday, Jul 03, 2015 at 18:47

Friday, Jul 03, 2015 at 18:47
Hi Dunc

Crikey, didn't think of that.Well, actually I did and I'll be happy enough to give it a miss out that way, but hey, its a long way there, and back!

And for sure, I've spent some time at Mungerannie, just soaking it up and having a beer!

You've got to love it, hey!

Cheers, Baz
FollowupID: 842868

Reply By: Member - Patto (SA) - Friday, Jul 03, 2015 at 18:48

Friday, Jul 03, 2015 at 18:48
I will also say that Mungeranie is a great spot and Phil is always entertaining buy my favourite is The William Creek Hotel not the best looking but a great atmosphere
AnswerID: 556631

Reply By: Steve in Kakadu - Friday, Jul 03, 2015 at 19:33

Friday, Jul 03, 2015 at 19:33
Without a doubt the Daly Waters Pub is the best pub in OZ, certainly the friendliest .

It is our first and last stop on every road trip we take, the next night is the Devils Marbles.

Cheers

Steve.
AnswerID: 556633

Follow Up By: Member - Terry W4 - Sunday, Jul 05, 2015 at 11:05

Sunday, Jul 05, 2015 at 11:05
Have to agree. Only been there once for an overnight stop in May but what a night we had. Entertainment, food and staff were first class.
FollowupID: 842942

Follow Up By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Sunday, Jul 05, 2015 at 12:20

Sunday, Jul 05, 2015 at 12:20
Must agree whole heartedly. We were told to call in no matter what on our 2006 trip and boy am I glad we did. I thought my wife was going to pee herself she was laughing that much at Frank's carrying on and the backpackers he got up on stage to sing with him. Great entertainment, great food and drink and one very interesting bar area.

Cheers

Dunc
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 842948

Reply By: Member - johnat - Friday, Jul 03, 2015 at 20:20

Friday, Jul 03, 2015 at 20:20
Baz, I believe that the "pub" has lost a lot of its appeal mainly because of the fact that we (most of us, at least) have to drive home from the "local" - mine would be at least 10km away, a bit far to walk and zero public transport - so we tend to buy and take home. That way, staggering to bed is not subject to being breathalysed.

Also might have something to do with the fact that the "local" seems to have moved further away!
AnswerID: 556638

Reply By: Slow one - Friday, Jul 03, 2015 at 20:28

Friday, Jul 03, 2015 at 20:28
My three are Tatts Winton, Blue heeler Kynuna and Victoria River Roadhouse.
AnswerID: 556639

Follow Up By: The Landy - Saturday, Jul 04, 2015 at 06:56

Saturday, Jul 04, 2015 at 06:56
Blue Heeler is a favourite of ours as well, and the Tatts of course!
FollowupID: 842884

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Tuesday, Jul 07, 2015 at 18:21

Tuesday, Jul 07, 2015 at 18:21
Tatts has great atmosphere, Slow, and Paul runs a good pub, but if you want an extra good feed, go to the Winton Pub next time. Opposite the water tower.

"Outback Chicken" & "Barra Delight" are a couple of favourites.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 843020

Follow Up By: Slow one - Wednesday, Jul 08, 2015 at 06:15

Wednesday, Jul 08, 2015 at 06:15
Thanks Bob
Tatts is always a friendly pub and the staff excellent. I used to pull up there because of the it's proximity to the bypass road.

FollowupID: 843036

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Wednesday, Jul 08, 2015 at 13:32

Wednesday, Jul 08, 2015 at 13:32
Good position there on the bypass, Slow. Many trucks pull up there for a break and a counter meal. The rear pub area is good for any oversize loads too, as they can get off the highway.

Paul has a strict "no swearing" rule(well, the coarser words) in the bar too, so it's a convivial atmosphere in the bar, for both ladies and gents.

Bob

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 843057

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Friday, Jul 03, 2015 at 20:55

Friday, Jul 03, 2015 at 20:55
Interesting topic Baz,

Digressing just a smidge, My wife and I "strayed" the other night to a pub a little further than our local.
Sat down in the dining room and ordered a round of drinks before the meal.
A sauvignon blanc for herself and a glass of shiraz for moi.
Drinks duly arrived with herself's served in a normal white wine glass, but mine was in a stemless "tumbler" which the waitress assured me was the new "in" way of serving red wine.
I promptly suggested she return to the bar and bring me the "old" style of red wine glass so that I could (and did) decant the contents into the "old" style glass.

None of this new aged "stylish" rubbish for me.
What's gone wrong with society today anyway?
Why do "they" need to reinvent a simple standard form of red wine glass?
Is there a "wine police" agency that I can direct my protest to?

Oh, my favourite "Iconic" pub would have to be the William Creek Hotel on the Oodnadatta Track.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

AnswerID: 556641

Follow Up By: AlanTH - Saturday, Jul 04, 2015 at 09:29

Saturday, Jul 04, 2015 at 09:29
I had a similar experience recently Sand Man. Barman tried to pour my Guinness into something resembling a flower vase..... what sort of training do some of these weirdos get?
What was my local in Joondalup WA has died, grub not up to much and sometimes a surly owner who I've known for more years than I like to think of. Plus if the builders oiks are outside you have to walk through a wall of smoke to get in!
I think poor old Landy is really going back in time with his recollections of good pubs. Pity dreams are so often better than the reality.
I'll just have to keep trying the brew until I find boozers heaven I suppose ...... :-)))
AlanH.
FollowupID: 842888

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Sunday, Jul 05, 2015 at 11:37

Sunday, Jul 05, 2015 at 11:37
What about the "new" traditional Aussie meal you see on blackboard menus. Pretty safe. So you order something that reminds you of what you Grandmother who lived in Balmain made every sunday and bugger me if it isn't covered in spices and chille. Traditional seems to mena just one generation back and just about stated about two generations after WWII.

SO will still have grannys traditional baked dinner on sunday with gravy make from the leftovers in the tray AND NO BLOODY chille.

Luckily we gave up restaurants about 20 years back.

I know and fully accept that things change but why do the mongrels call something invented by the teachers or parents as traditional. ie only 40 years old. Mate that's only just over half my age.

Phil (and still chuckling at a traditional bangers and mash that we had at . . . Not going to say)

Phil
FollowupID: 842946

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Sunday, Jul 05, 2015 at 11:38

Sunday, Jul 05, 2015 at 11:38
I really need to read what I type. Sorry guys.
FollowupID: 842947

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Tuesday, Jul 07, 2015 at 18:25

Tuesday, Jul 07, 2015 at 18:25
C'mon Bill, you need to be adventurous! :-)

Nothing better than a good Merlot, consumed out of a Vegemite glass.........

Bob

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 843021

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Thursday, Jul 09, 2015 at 20:23

Thursday, Jul 09, 2015 at 20:23
Hi Bob,

Hell, I thought you were a XXXX man, drunk straight from the bottle.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

FollowupID: 843097

Reply By: Raider28 - Saturday, Jul 04, 2015 at 10:13

Saturday, Jul 04, 2015 at 10:13
I'm hearing you Landy. There is a good ad on TV at the moment , ironically for Pubs in general where the bloke asks for a " parma-ge-arna and gets some tiny , fancy looking morsel. Reminds us of a mate who always seems to get ripped off with meals. Very funny.
AnswerID: 556649

Reply By: Member - John T (Tamworth NSW) - Saturday, Jul 04, 2015 at 11:07

Saturday, Jul 04, 2015 at 11:07
G'day all
I'm not into drinking in pubs but a few we have had a glass of red and a meal are Shindys Inn at Louth And the Nindigully Pub. Another although fairly new is the Two Mile just into Qld from Mungundi. And yet another vote for Mungerannie Pub.
Cheers
John T (Lifetime Member)
VKS-737 Mobile 2619
Selcall 2619
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours" - Richard Bach in "Illusions"

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 556652

Follow Up By: The Landy - Monday, Jul 06, 2015 at 06:57

Monday, Jul 06, 2015 at 06:57
We always enjoy dropping into Shindy's!

Cheers, Baz
FollowupID: 842979

Reply By: vk1dx - Saturday, Jul 04, 2015 at 12:18

Saturday, Jul 04, 2015 at 12:18
I got howled down a while back because I said something similar about our experience at Innamincka. Bangers and mash - Crap filling in a gourmet sausage from the Adealide Hills and a type of chunky mashed potato with herbs, onion and other green junk mixed into it. It was so fulll of chille you could have lit a BBQ with my breath. I loved grandma's bangers and mash but not that gourmet or Modern Australian so called traditional version.

And th people at the table next tp us complained about the 2 years old crying because she fell of the seat and landed on the concrete floor on her head.

Days of old the barman or bar maid would have come over and helped us. Not this lot. Just stared and scowled.

Not as friendly as there it was years back. I don't complain any more - we just stick to the fish and chips shop or the camp fire and lament the loss of the real auusie "gidday mate" type of pub. they are still there but the Modern Australia is encroaching.

At least you can still get a good old 4X or VB in most. See - I didn't even show my bias. GO THE BLUES.

I hear you Baz.

Phil
AnswerID: 556655

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Saturday, Jul 04, 2015 at 12:31

Saturday, Jul 04, 2015 at 12:31
I really don't have a favourite pub. The closest that I spent a bit of time in was the Holbrook Pub in Holbrook. Lived there for a while after school and when my parents died.

The favourite "outback" type of pub would have be the Daly Waters pub. Never forget walking into the bar and seeing the AFL on TV and asking if they were watching the game against the All Blacks later that night. "BLOODY HELL WE WILL" comes from the back" and a big - whoops large Maori "lady" cook wanders out and says that we will and no complaint are accepted. A good night was had by all. And "real" food.

Always drop in when I pass.

Phil

FollowupID: 842894

Reply By: Member - eighty matey - Saturday, Jul 04, 2015 at 20:30

Saturday, Jul 04, 2015 at 20:30
G'day Landy.

There are plenty of good old pubs everywhere.
In Sydney I'd rather pop into a small club for that traditional feeling. Clubs in the country are good value for food, grog and atmosphere.

There's plenty of good old pubs around when you get on the road.
We make a point of dropping into a town's pub when we're travelling. We'll have a couple of drinks, maybe a feed, maybe grab a sticker, shirt or cooler. They need us to support them.
Backpackers add a new feel to the experience. Having a beer at Bedourie talking to a frauline about her home town in Germany is different to having a cornbeef sanga with Val or Lester but it's all part of the variety we love about tripping around Oz.

Whether it's seared Salmon or Sausage Sanga on the menu I reckon just enjoy them all.

Hoo roo,
Steve
AnswerID: 556672

Follow Up By: The Landy - Sunday, Jul 05, 2015 at 15:43

Sunday, Jul 05, 2015 at 15:43
Hear, hear Steve, cheers , Baz
FollowupID: 842954

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Monday, Jul 06, 2015 at 12:02

Monday, Jul 06, 2015 at 12:02
Dunno whether it's my favourite Baz, but had a good beer and an enjoyable feed at the Tolga Pub on 25th June.

Only BYO grog here at Big Red Bash........'n no fish 'n chips either. :-)

Bob

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 556714

Follow Up By: The Landy - Monday, Jul 06, 2015 at 13:49

Monday, Jul 06, 2015 at 13:49
Hey Bob,v Looks like a reasonable feed.

I used to live (literally) in the Malanda Pub, and still believe it is owned by the English's.

Cheers, Baz
FollowupID: 842991

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Wednesday, Jul 08, 2015 at 13:44

Wednesday, Jul 08, 2015 at 13:44
Had about 4 days up on the Tablelands, Baz, to celebrate the daughter's 20 something birthday, the week before last. Was amazed at the wealth of venues, eateries and pubs....hic, burp....hic, that are around that area.

And we didn't get back to Ravenshoe or Herberton, nor across to Malanda or Millaa Millaa.

And that's not including the lakes and other natural sights.........but we were talking about pubs, weren't we? :-)

Bob

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 843058

Sponsored Links