Fuel Blockage

Submitted: Tuesday, Jul 14, 2015 at 17:18
ThreadID: 119488 Views:2441 Replies:4 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Recently headed off looking for the sun. Did the right thing, a full service the week before. Full load ofCaltex-Woolworths Premium diesel. headed off with the caravan following dutifully behind. Got just south of Seymour. The missus says what's all those lights on the dash board mean?? Pulled over contacted Seymour Toyota. Following their info headed slowly into town to Toyota Dealer. A decent bunch of blokes.. After some time minus some dosh approx $135.00. Their head nuts & bolts man tells us. My fuel filter was blocked chock a block in fact. What hurt was I'd just had it replaced under the 25k service. What hurt more was I now recall the Bowser attendant had said to one of his mates standing behind me don't use the diesel pump its almost empty. One day the old boy up above will get me to listen to my brain. Luckily it didn't happen again. Got to Tamworth tripped over on the welcome mat and broke my ankle. I knew there was a reason I got the crappy fuel. The old boy was telling me to stay out of Tamworth.
It has been suggested I fit a secondary fuel filter???? Expensive?? Comments please.

I contacted a Caltex dealer. How can I get my money back from the after marth of their bleep ty load of there diesel, Not one suggestion?? Funny that.

One mate suggested metho into the fuel tank??? Don't like that idea.

Regards Mackamm
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Rosco from way back - Tuesday, Jul 14, 2015 at 17:29

Tuesday, Jul 14, 2015 at 17:29
Yep

Strongly recommend a primary filter to hopefully catch most of the crud. A few good options out there. Diesel Care mob sell a Stanadyne jobby (FM100) which you can get with a water alarm. And there is another similar one for similar money. About $300 give or take. Be sure to use the correct dia hose (12mm if you run the V8).

Well worth it ...
AnswerID: 557007

Follow Up By: Keir & Marg - Tuesday, Jul 14, 2015 at 17:54

Tuesday, Jul 14, 2015 at 17:54
Just had a an aftermarket filter fitted to the Pajero after picking up a sh1t load of fuel and then $4500 worth of injector replacement. Not sure exactly when we got the crap fuel so no chance of proving where we got it. Apparently some insurers will cover you for fuel damage to the engine - check your policy. If you have no joy with the Seymour service station owner, suggest you get on to Caltex Head Office straight away; you have proof of buying fuel there and engine stoppage shortly thereafter.
Lastly, just get the fuel tank completely drained and flushed before you refill. If the fuel economy subsequently gets really bad and the engine/injectors get noisy (our indication of a problem), you will need replacement injectors ($700-800 each plus labour on top).
Hope your ankle heals!!
FollowupID: 843320

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Tuesday, Jul 14, 2015 at 18:00

Tuesday, Jul 14, 2015 at 18:00

Macca, I always keep my last couple of fuel receipts. That way you have at least a chance of documenting a claim, either directly to the fuel company or through your insurance.

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 843321

Follow Up By: MackaMM - Tuesday, Jul 14, 2015 at 18:58

Tuesday, Jul 14, 2015 at 18:58
Kier & Marg Thanks for your input . Toyota at Seymour were great. couldnt have been more helpfull, it was a local servo in melb who gave me the bad fuel load, I have ny receipts will follow your advice,

RegardsMick.
FollowupID: 843328

Follow Up By: MackaMM - Sunday, Jul 19, 2015 at 11:37

Sunday, Jul 19, 2015 at 11:37
thanks to all of you who responded to my "Fuel Blockage" in my 11/11/2013 Toyota LC 200 Wgn. The is where it went.

I rang Caltex Safeways. to be met with a dial response "This number has been disconnected. There was a secondary 1300 # in the web site.
They responded straight way. Yes
sir this is Caltex Safeways, you have the wrong section but someone will contact you within 72 hours. Sure enough some lass fro
Sydney rang, sorry but this is the wrong number Someone will contact you shortly. That was the last I heard from them.

Meanwhile I contacted my insurer APIA. Just pay the excess approx $570.00 and we will cough up for the balance. So I had the tanks removed and flushed cleaned etc. Plus another Fuel Filter which was again showing sighs that it had sucked up a good load of crap. The bill came to $1,070.00 am I Happy. 'NO'. 3rd rate service by a major fuel distributor. Thanks to APIA Insurance who were great.
FollowupID: 843466

Follow Up By: MackaMM - Wednesday, Jul 29, 2015 at 17:02

Wednesday, Jul 29, 2015 at 17:02
For those who responded, thanks. The final Outcome was, Caltex eventually responded to messages left on their system. There reporting procedure is not user friendly. They say the fuel was checked for quality. It was fine. There were no other reports of a similar nature from the pumps at the Cheltenham Caltex Woolies outlet.
They do not propose to take further action.
I do believe on the balance of probabilities I would win an action against the fuel supplier. Anyway $1,000.00 +/- to correctly repair the contaminated diesel fuel is worth the spend. if the outcome is likely to be that a some time in the future you get gunked up poorly performing injectors then its worth the money spending the dosh to avoid problems of this nature which in the future will be a lot more expensive. if the pump says do not use this pump. it usually, means its close to the bottom of the barrel. where all the nasty little particulates hide.
FollowupID: 843849

Reply By: Zippo - Tuesday, Jul 14, 2015 at 17:53

Tuesday, Jul 14, 2015 at 17:53
I've heard of - and used successfully - meths in the tank for shifting water in the fuel, but in PETROL. I'm not sure how it would help in a diseasel with a crud-filled filter though.
AnswerID: 557009

Reply By: AlbyNSW - Tuesday, Jul 14, 2015 at 22:29

Tuesday, Jul 14, 2015 at 22:29
I know people automatically blame their last fuel stop for bad fuel but it is not necessarily always the case
If you drive some unsealed corrugated roads you can pick up some crud out of your tank that has been sitting dormant on sealed roads for some time
AnswerID: 557024

Follow Up By: member - mazcan - Wednesday, Jul 15, 2015 at 20:19

Wednesday, Jul 15, 2015 at 20:19
i second your comment that's so true
FollowupID: 843367

Reply By: Jackolux - Wednesday, Jul 15, 2015 at 01:31

Wednesday, Jul 15, 2015 at 01:31
Im fitting a extra filter upstream of the std filter on my Dmax , there is many opinions as to how fine the filter should be ,
The one I'm fitting is 30 micron with a water trap , some say 30 micron is not fine enough for a CRD motor .
Others say a filter should be fitted after the std filter ,
What's the opinion of ppl here ?
AnswerID: 557029

Follow Up By: Slow one - Wednesday, Jul 15, 2015 at 07:55

Wednesday, Jul 15, 2015 at 07:55
Before the standard filter, as you don't affect the factory one when you change it. It also stops a lot of crud getting to your factory filter. Under bush conditions any contaminates that accidentally get in when you change the filter will be picked up by the factory filter

I find 30 micron ok, as it is there to catch the large crud and not there to replace the factory filter which could be from 2 to 5 micron depending what Isuzu have chosen for their engine.

The Stanadyne FM 100 has good fuel flow for a crd engine and you can pick which micron filter you want to fit to it.

All large equipment manufactures have primary filters before the secondary filter and it always has a larger micron rating.
FollowupID: 843337

Sponsored Links