Aussie mateship - where did it go?

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 13:07
ThreadID: 12254 Views:3180 Replies:20 FollowUps:57
This Thread has been Archived
One of the strengths of our great nation has always been our ability to help out a mate, often to our personal detriment. I don't profess to know much about anything in particular, but if I am in a situation where I can offer advice or services to a mate with a need, I am only too happy to attempt a solution. I hope that the recipients of any useful information I offer are appreciative. My cobbers have a similar attitude and whenever I impose on them, I too am extremely appreciative! This has always been "the Australian Way".

It has become depressingly obvious in recent times that this Aussie tradition (along with many others) is gradually heading the same way as the Tasmanian Tiger and Tasmanian Aboriginal.

WHY???????

Are we becoming so Americanised that we can see no further than our own hip pocket or ego? Why are we becoming so pre-occupied with one-up-manship, political correctness and the pursuit of a dollar? Are we, as a nation, becoming so insecure that we need to be continually egoistical, in the process becoming less and less the quiet achievers who have been responsible for some of the great moments and inventions of the last 200 years.

Is the spirit of John Landy, Weary Dunlop, Private Simpson and the rest of the ANZACs really dying? Something to think about on Sunday!

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: William - Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 13:13

Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 13:13
Wombat the root of all evil in Australia is social security. Unmarried mothers pensions and unemployment benefits are disgustingly high and they can live like kings and queens and bludge. There is no need any longer for for F&F and you scratch my back, I will scratch yours. Yes we became to politically correct and to Americanised a long time ago.
Australians used to have the greatest spinal material in the world, made from the finest quality BHP steel produced, but now Australia is a nation of gutless spineless do nothing jelly spine cry baby wimps.
Do not worry, the good times will not and cannot last so enjoy while they are here.
AnswerID: 55300

Follow Up By: Wombat - Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 13:41

Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 13:41
Your perspective William, is as always, sententious.
FollowupID: 317076

Follow Up By: GO_OFFROAD - Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 14:08

Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 14:08
Well, if you sleep with dogs, you get fleas I guess.

You just surround yourself with the people you feel are important, and leave the rest to battle out whats left between them....

Personally, if I could convice the wife, i would pack and move to the US tomorrow, over Aus, but visits will do for now.
FollowupID: 317080

Follow Up By: The Publican - Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 14:14

Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 14:14
Go Offroad well visiting and living there is two totally different things.
I visit the US regularly on business, love it, absolutely love it, but would I want to live there permanently - NEVER. You will be hard pressed to go 4WD and camping in peace for a start. Thanks I would much prefer to have my base in Australia.
Why can't you convince your wife? Maybe she is smarter than you and can see what you cannot. I don't mean that in a derogatory manner way, it is a fact women see things in a different way to men.
FollowupID: 317082

Follow Up By: The Publican - Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 14:23

Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 14:23
We really are the DOOOOOOOOO NOOOOOOOOTHING nation as well.
Nothing positive that should be done gets done. Nobody stands up to the government over bad things, nobody protests for worthwhile causes in the streets, everybody just accepts everything. They may winger and whine about it, but nobody actually does anything. You need to realise radicals are a necessary thing in democracy, regardless if you agree with them or not.
FollowupID: 317084

Follow Up By: GO_OFFROAD - Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 14:25

Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 14:25
Am I not entitled to my opinion, without you needing to explain yourself on yours or why you consider mine to be incorrect?

Whilst 4wding there, I found it much less congested than here, and much more pro active on keeping it open to continue to be used. The US guys are also much more at ease about the recreation of 4wding, and pi55ing contests over makes, models, accesories etc etc are more in jest, when visible, but maily non existant.

I find the better US forums leave the Aus ones for dead, when it comes to technical information, help, favors, in my 8-9 years of being involved with them and ours on the net.

I also found that the population meant infrastructure was an easier thing to produce, without collecting the money for it from a much smaller population, or such high transport costs like here. They certainly dont seem to bitch about price as much as Aussies do.

And the wifes decision is a health issue related problem.
FollowupID: 317085

Follow Up By: The Publican - Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 14:31

Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 14:31
GO_OFFROAD you are a real punce. Why oh why do you bother posting if you are not prepared to have dialogue of an alternate view. You are like a horse with blinkers.
I would agree with you about the forums in the US. There are far to many uneducated dummies here that can afford toys on the dole. In the US no work, no eat, no toys.
Our problem with infrastructure we waste so much money it is disgusting. We could have twice as much if we did away with so much waste. Australia has become the weak stupid incompetent country, and I hope we can get rid of you to the US.
FollowupID: 317087

Follow Up By: John - Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 14:42

Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 14:42
I see what started out as a good interesting post has disintegrated into personal attacks again.

To The Publican, you focus so much on the negatives in this country, any wonder we can perceive ourselves to fail in so many ways.

I bet that for every negative point you make I can come up with 2 positives to counter.
Get your head out of your arse and stand up and be positive and proud of what this country and it's people have achieved.

If you don't like it you could always go live in Bagdad.
VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 317092

Follow Up By: cokeaddict - Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 16:01

Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 16:01
WOW...Willem, I'm shocked mate !
Well my shillings worth here is.....I just do what i feel is correct. If i stumble upon someone who is a problem or negative minded, i turn around and move on. All i care about boys is that I know I still do what I was Brought up to believe. And as far as ANZAC goes.....nothing else comes close in my heart ! ..NOTHING !

See you at the dawn ceramony diggers.
FollowupID: 317112

Follow Up By: Wombat - Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 16:08

Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 16:08
I don't think Willem has actually contributed to this thread yet Mr Cincotta! I assume it is William you are shocked at.
FollowupID: 317114

Follow Up By: cokeaddict - Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 16:56

Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 16:56
Oh so i see,
Thanks for correcting me there Wombat, I really didnt think Willem would have hit back like that...now where did i put those glasses?
FollowupID: 317131

Follow Up By: William - Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 17:59

Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 17:59
cokeaddict I get out of bed early for worthwhile things, not for living in the past of damn ridiculous and tired dawn ceremonies. About time Australia started living in the future and started to build for the future. We are a tired arcane mob of tired old stupid gits living in the past. As a nation we try to hang onto all the wrong things. About time they did away with the public holiday so Australians could start to become productive. Look at all the Vietnam bludgers and whingers sucking on the udder of the system. They are worse than cry babies, what a bunch of weak wimps. Go and check out the real men on the other side, they have all got over everything as they don't have a system they can suck and bludge on and try and make people feel sorry for them. Australian soldiers are weak wooses
FollowupID: 317156

Follow Up By: John - Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 23:12

Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 23:12
OBshafted I think you would either have to stand in line or you could sell tickets.
I know a few who would like to talk to young William out back of the pub also.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 317245

Follow Up By: Member - Ivan (ACT) - Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 23:46

Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 23:46
William my boy........

After 20 years in the army, I am well versed in what those before us gave, and what those still in the Forces still give.. I can tell from your attitude that:

1. You have never served your country
2. You have never put yourself on the line for your mates
3. You have probably never even worked in a team environment
4. If you did join the Army, you would be good sport for those who do recognise what sacrifice, both in the past and now, still is.

You can hide behind your screen, but your words give you away for what you really are... And we can all see what that is....
Cheers,

Ivan
2008 D4D Prado

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 317251

Follow Up By: The Publican - Thursday, Apr 22, 2004 at 08:29

Thursday, Apr 22, 2004 at 08:29
OBShafted and John just another typical uneducated thick as a brick aussie yobbo thug eh!!! You uneducated pussies can only resort to violence, what a bunch of weak pathetic wussies you are.
Ivan you just another AJ army jerk who bludged and sponged on the tax payers of Australia. Where you incapable of getting a real job.
I have served for my country, I have put myself on the line for my mates, I have worked in a team environment, I would not be such a jerk to join the army. I fought for the hero Vietcong in non-alligned units
FollowupID: 317284

Follow Up By: pathfinder - Thursday, Apr 22, 2004 at 12:50

Thursday, Apr 22, 2004 at 12:50
William - go and play with something sharp...
FollowupID: 317325

Follow Up By: Glenn D - Thursday, Apr 22, 2004 at 18:37

Thursday, Apr 22, 2004 at 18:37
GO_OFFROAD

Hi , how can you tell people that they have to listen and then keep shoveing your opinions down other peoples throats. Please go to the US by all means , dont take your computer. As for my question on turbo lag, it is a problem , maybe I should be blown , can you help me out ??
FollowupID: 317404

Follow Up By: GO_OFFROAD - Thursday, Apr 22, 2004 at 18:43

Thursday, Apr 22, 2004 at 18:43
Excuse me for sticking to facts, rather than fabrication, unlike you, but where in this thread have I mentioned people should listen, or are you trying to cross reference 2 different threads into one to support what your attempting to say?

Have you mentioned what your question is in the actual topic?.. if you have, and it isnt on the first page, I wont of looked, but someone may....
FollowupID: 317407

Follow Up By: Glenn D - Thursday, Apr 22, 2004 at 20:21

Thursday, Apr 22, 2004 at 20:21
GO_OFFROAD,
Please excuse me . I am not familiar with forum nuances. I was not aware that you had to refer to the opening letter. Here goes, obviously we ( Australia as a whole ) would have been a##R##ted in the past if it were not for the Americans in WWII we do OWE a debt that we continue to pay today ( the way our government tounges the ass of the US. ) that we have to honour, after all Japanese is a hard language to learn. Secondly I object to paying excessive tax to see it being squandered so mercilessly!! . Unmarried mother with two kids to the same guy and he wont marry her on paper cause they wil lose the payment and the housing commission house for $50 a week , plus the polys wasting money hand over fist , Thirdly did I menion I still need to be blown!!!!!!! You should probably seek out some kleenex !!!
FollowupID: 317422

Follow Up By: GO_OFFROAD - Thursday, Apr 22, 2004 at 22:28

Thursday, Apr 22, 2004 at 22:28
Your posts seem to be very familiar with peoples a55es, do you have a fetish?

Your posts would make it appear you do..........
FollowupID: 317454

Reply By: Mrs Diamond - Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 13:38

Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 13:38
gday wombat.
not all mateship has dissapeared as we found out last week.
we went to qld with some great friends of ours that live up there
thanks sikko and mrs sikko.
after having no end of trouble with our car our friends did more than most people would consider doing.
they towed our camper for miles so we had some where to camp drove all over brissy/goldcoast chasing parts 100000 phone calls looked after the kids while we were stuck drove me all over the place chasing couriers for parts and so much more.if 1/4 of the people were even half as nice as they were we would all be so much better off.even after all there help they still wouldnt accept any money they did take $50 but bought us a bottle of bourbon lol
also the receptionest at work was telling me yesterday morning how she just bought a house and after moving in found out 2 rooms were termite ridden she was sitting in a park having a cry.an elderlady walked up to her and gave her some flowers after seeing her upset.hows that for kindness she didnt even know her or what was wrong.
so dont give up hope womby there are still some top people out there mate
AnswerID: 55304

Follow Up By: The Publican - Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 14:27

Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 14:27
Mrs Diamond you are correct, especially in rural areas. Pity we cannot get rid of the bums.
FollowupID: 317086

Follow Up By: Wombat - Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 15:00

Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 15:00
Jim and Tab,

Treasure those special friends. Unfortunately attitudes such as theirs are very quickly becoming the exception rather than the rule.
FollowupID: 317098

Follow Up By: GLD - Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 16:00

Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 16:00
Mrs Diamond,

Yes mateship is alive and well in the country. After moving to a rural area, we lost part of our roof in a storm in January....I called my husband and he came home from work, collecting tarps and sand bags from the SES on the way....we didn't call the SES for help because we are independant and we knew they would be busy with plenty of other roofs.

By the time he got home with the tarps two men had stopped and helped us all afternoon tarp the roof.

In the country this sort of helping hand happens all the time and it is a good feeling knowing that it still happens.
FollowupID: 317111

Reply By: John - Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 13:52

Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 13:52
Hi Wombat
Interesting post to say the least.

Whilst I do believe that you are correct in some respect about the changing attitudes and Americanism that does certainly seem to be prevading our society.

I think that it is not as rife as yet.
I personally believe that the vast majority of Aussies are still the decent, supportive and fair minded people that we have been renowned for, just look at the general attitude's that are common place on this forum.
Advice and support is offered willingly to others on a daily basis by largely strangers. a pretty Aussie attitude in my book.

Ego's and one-up-manship is certainly a growing facet of our society, maybe this is a result of personal insecurities, Why else do people like William enjoy attacking other individuals and by his prior post various social aspects of our society.
To me he is synonymous with the growing attitude of blaming others for their own personal lack there off.

Also consider that just because we have perceptions about this growing trend it does not mean that the rest of us have to lower ourselves to their level.
We can try to teach our children to be different from this growing attitude.

I could go on but let's see what others have to say.

As I said interesting post, I'm sure it will spark some interesting debate.

Regards
John

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 55306

Follow Up By: GO_OFFROAD - Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 14:11

Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 14:11
Continually spiralling moral boundaries are not so much social, but parental issues, as kids do as they see, and get away with what they do, because parents let them.

One upmanship comes from people who have been sucked in by marketing....
FollowupID: 317081

Follow Up By: John - Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 14:35

Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 14:35
Hi GO_OFFROAD
I agree with your comments.
As said changing influences and attitude's of society.

Interesting post it's philosophical implications are wide spread and perhaps without any real answers except to say fundamentally we all know whats right and whats wrong and we make our choices one way or the other.

You can choose to live a decent life and treat others the way you would like to be treated or you can do the opposite with it's implications.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 317090

Follow Up By: The Publican - Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 14:35

Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 14:35
With the police being so bad and corrupt does not help matters. When you have the law upholders all swilling around in the piggery does not help things. A high percentage of our school teachers are rubbish and would not last in other countries in schools that have independent status as government schools can in the US. Everybody today is a bloody hero for what, doing their job. That is what pigs and fire fighters etc. get paid for, not bloody heroes at all. About time the bludgers did some real work in between time the odd fire and a bit of training.
FollowupID: 317091

Follow Up By: John - Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 14:51

Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 14:51
To The Publican you are quick to place labels on people.
Please tell us what you do for a living can you also please tell us about the chip on your shoulder so that we can apply a label to you.
It' obvious that you are a bloody hero and a legend in your own mind to boot.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 317094

Follow Up By: Member - Gajm (VIC) - Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 15:17

Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 15:17
The Publican, mate you are a fair dinkum wanker, do you think the C.F.A men and women get paid? they do the same job and get paid nothing, and even with your pathetic attitude police and fireys would still risk their own lives to save yours, and i can tell you it hasn't got anything to do with money, i bet youve never run into a burning house to help anyone, nor would you, it's the people like you that are the real problem with this great this country
FollowupID: 317105

Follow Up By: Blackie - Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 16:23

Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 16:23
I haven't seen too many digs at teachers lately, But just a point, there are hundreds of Australian teachers working in schools in New York just getting their system up to date, so Aussie teachers can't be too bad. Teachers from Australia are in demand in the UK as well.
FollowupID: 317122

Follow Up By: The Publican - Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 19:05

Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 19:05
Blackie my daughter is a high school to Gr 12 teacher. Sure there are hundreds of Australian teachers working in schools overseas, and sadly for us our one and only daughter is among them. Why the school system in Australia rewards all the failures and do nothings in the system that never get fired. About time Australians realise this is one mega sick politically correct country filled with doooooooooooooo goooooooooooooooooding spineless weak wonkers. Because of Australia been such a bunch of spineless weak gutless wimps that you cannot fire people for unsatisfactory performance you end up with a system full of trash. If you realised the number of Australians working overseas in high level manufacturing you would shocked and disgusted. Paul Keating was right, we are a banana republic and the Australian public is to weak spineless and gutless to stand up to do anything about it. Just remember you read the facts and truth here and hated reading the truth.
FollowupID: 317170

Follow Up By: GO_OFFROAD - Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 22:41

Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 22:41
FollowUp 7 of 7 posted 21 Apr 2004 at 19:05
The Publican posted this followup
spineless weak gutless wimps that you cannot fire people for unsatisfactory performance you end up with a system full of trash.

Well, you certainly proved that theory of yours correct publican, simply by your presense.......

For all your complaints, I see your still living here though, I guess that either makes you a liar, or a hypocryte......

FollowupID: 317237

Follow Up By: The Publican - Thursday, Apr 22, 2004 at 08:37

Thursday, Apr 22, 2004 at 08:37
Gajm did I mention the CFA. I think the CFA do a great job.
I know they don't get paid I help them out at times.
The pigpolice get paid to do what they do and take that job because the pigs cannot get a proper job. The pigs tell lies and are corrupt lying filth.
Never help a policepig and always say oink oink as you walk past the scum trash low life gutter dwelling trash.
FollowupID: 317285

Reply By: Member - Bruce (San Diego) - Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 14:37

Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 14:37
Wombat,

Interesting post,

As an Australian who now lives in the USA,( been here for 20 years) and travels home to Oz 2/3 times a year I have to disagree that Australia is becoming Americanised, I would say that Australia is evolving into its own unique society.

In travelling between the two countries I see that Australia is becoming extemely regulated now and this is obvious from the postings on this forum with the regulations needed for any mods you do to your 4WD's.

Both countries have their good and bad points but don't blame the Americans.

Australia is extemely well respected in my neck of the woods from their incredible advances in the medical field, microscopic surgery, coplier implants, gene reseach to huge advances in agriculture and mining. and an Aussie who started flipping burgers at 15 in Bondi was just appointed head of McDonalds.

We now however live in world economy were every action has a reaction whether it be interest rates in the states, trade tarrifs or the war, it all has an effect.

I'm proud to be an Aussie, we have an ANZAC Club in San Diego, fly the Australian flag, eat vegimite and Tim Tams, and drink XXXX and milo.

Bruce

AnswerID: 55311

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 15:10

Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 15:10
G'day Bruce,
RE: Your last paragraph.....................not all at once I hope...YUK!!! LOL

Cheers,

Roachie
FollowupID: 317101

Follow Up By: Member - Sam (NSW) - Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 15:15

Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 15:15
Hehehe

was gonna say that myself Roachie

XXXX and Milo sounds like a pretty potent cocktail.
FollowupID: 317103

Follow Up By: Member - Bruce (San Diego) - Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 15:17

Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 15:17
Roachie,

Actually we did and a few other things at an Australia Day party we had a few years ago when we introduced a some "Australia Fair" to some of our friends over here.

At one time over here we had three Aussies living on our street of 10 houses, no one knew each other until we all moved in over a year.

Bruce
FollowupID: 317104

Follow Up By: Member - Bruce (San Diego) - Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 15:19

Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 15:19
And I forgot to mention the Bundy

Bruce
FollowupID: 317106

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 16:27

Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 16:27
You blokes are soooo quick to jump on the bandwagon and on top of poor Bruce. Dontcha know the XXXX takes the "edge" off the Milo?????
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 317123

Follow Up By: Rod W - Thursday, Apr 22, 2004 at 10:03

Thursday, Apr 22, 2004 at 10:03
G'day Bruce,
This is more a bit of curiosity than anything. Now I realise there are millions of people and a fair bit of distance between you, but do you know George Scolaro (a Perth West Aussie lad) currently lives in San Jose. He intends to be back here in West Australia later this year and we’ll be doing a trip together into the northeast goldfields.
See ya
Rod
FollowupID: 317299

Reply By: TonyT - Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 14:59

Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 14:59
If you travel out from the cities there's plenty of Australia still there- there's no way the bush is becoming 'Americanised'- whatever that means- what is tradition though? many of the 'traditions' don't hold up too well when looked at closely. It's the 21st century now- the times are a changin'. Still not a bad place to be able to say what u think though- just like America.
AnswerID: 55313

Reply By: Rick Blaine - Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 15:01

Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 15:01
Society will change, Times change, maybe the current generation has lost the ANZAC spirit but it is coming back, slowly but surely. I'm not an ANZAC merely a reluctant conscript who was dragged off to Vietnam and did my job as best as I could....now I'm TPI and get a fortnightly payment as Hush up money...I have 3 sons who all played Grid iron...I drive a Jackeroo which was made for the American market... not Australian. Yes I think we may be loosing our mateship in the Chips Raferty tradition but take a trip outback even on the bitumen and the comraderrie is amazing..In the city i dont even stop for stranded motorists unless its in an area I know well... had a few nasty experiences with people who think that the freedom we all have in Australia is somehow undermining their religious beliefs..so golden rule is dont stop if in doubt. But for me bring back Trams to Sydney, Blue Hills on the ABC, and get some of our great Aussie Icons back under Aussie ownership... & stop pandering to the Vocal minority. I think after spending some time in NZ they have the right attitude...Look I could go on for hours
AnswerID: 55314

Reply By: Member - Mik - Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 15:21

Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 15:21
Interesting. All this talk about the way Australia, and its inhabitants are avolving. And not one mention of a Republic.
Think about it.

Very interesting post

Mik
AnswerID: 55317

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 16:29

Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 16:29
We are how we are, Republicans or Royalists Mik. Its only a label and something else to blue over. hahahaha

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 317124

Reply By: tdcockers - Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 15:21

Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 15:21
"stop pandering to the vocal minority"

that is sooooo true, i am sick of hearing how the government is bending over backwards for minorities, because the government loses if they dont.

i also think our dole system is too generous, but not having a family and nearly being finished a uni degree in accounting probably is not such good qualifications to speak on these matters....

still, i really enjoy my trips away from the city, at least you can say hello to strangers and get a hello back, not like in the city where if you say hello to someone they run as fast as their legs can carry them away from you screaming 'rapist' or 'thief' or something like that [ View Image]
AnswerID: 55318

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 16:40

Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 16:40
its not that bad tdcockers, I am a country boy who spends a day or two a week in the city. The other day I was in Melbourne town and in a hurry, walkign fast but not running, and this woman was walking like the wind! I stepped up a bit to see if I could keep up and hahaha she turned around, saw me and whoosh took off walking even faster. I felt like I had frightened her but when we were both stopped at the next corner waiting for the walk light I said to her "Gee you walk fast!", She was a bit flustered (visibly) that someone actually talked to her on the street in Melbourne but smiled and said she liked walking and that she had walked in from a long way out of the city and we chatted for maybe 20 secs. The light went green and she said "see you again soon" and whoosh off she went again, I would have had to run to keep up. But I got a tickle out of that 20 secs and I guess she may have also. Just 2 ppl talking nothing expected other than common courtesy. Its still allowed to talk to a stranger......even fun.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 317125

Reply By: Member - Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 15:24

Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 15:24
Hi Wombie,

interesting topic, I guess those of us who have great mates treasure them not only for their friendship, but the knowledge that they'll be there when needed most, not just for advice but sometimes and perhaps more importantly to vent some anger, frustration, grief, whatever emotion needs airing - sometimes broadshoulders and comforting arms speak more than well chosen words. I once helped a disabled man find a toilet in East Melbourne when all other passers by ignored him, I didn't do it coz I wanted some sort of pat on the back, I did it coz he needed help and if I was in the same situ I'd hope that someone would help me; as he was being wheeled away into the disabled toilets at the Eye and Ear hospital....he yelled out "thanks lady"...that was the best sort of payment I could have got....

lets hope that the spirit, determination, humility and down right decency of the people you describe above prevails and continues to do so...

Lyn
AnswerID: 55319

Follow Up By: Wombat - Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 16:04

Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 16:04
Poor old geezer was in Essendon when you helped him to the toilet in East Melbourne and he didn't even want to go to the toilet anyway. I think it's sad that all the other passers by ignored him being pushed by this crazy woman from Romsey screaming "Let me go I really don't need to go to the toilet". It was nice that he said "Thanks lady" to the woman from the eye and ear who rescued him from you though.
FollowupID: 317113

Follow Up By: Member - Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 16:10

Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 16:10
HAHAHHAHAHAHAHA !
FollowupID: 317118

Follow Up By: Member - Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 16:12

Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 16:12
You're a real mate Wombie,

actually it was the crazy woman from Thomastown at the time....which may explain several things...lol !
FollowupID: 317120

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 16:17

Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 16:17
Indeed Lynda, a few words of thanks and all that are needed. Mateship is not something that we can underestimate, but its something that we sort of expect, cause thats just the way you do it in Australia. And its mostly offered amongst a barrage of friendly chiding and so on but underneath there is a real respect and willingness to give of ourselves that underpins the whole mateship thing. Theres some who choose to use personal jibes, some of which we have here also and we all rally against them and then sit back and ask "how we got sucked in again" but we do it cause we care, and we stick up for something we perceive to be there.

At EO I have met some fantastic people both electronically and face to face. Its a big step sometimes to go to an outing of ppl you don't know but every one I have been to I have met great people with heaps of different backgrounds all willing to give if themselves and their experience. Where else can u go for a 4WD weekend and come home with info on tyres, computer networking, etc etc etc. And have a great drive too.

The old adage stands true today, you get back what you give manyfold, and mateship is about giving.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 317121

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 16:43

Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 16:43
hahaha you said disabled, not blind, imagine someone even thinking you are a Lady!

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 317126

Follow Up By: Member - Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 16:56

Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 16:56
Bonz,
I thought you were such a kind man, and now I find you would stoop to the level of that wombie....HAHAHHAHAHAHHA !

Lyn
FollowupID: 317132

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 17:03

Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 17:03
What stoop, there was never a stoop, hahahaha I think that Wombie and myself have just levelled off hahahaha

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 317138

Reply By: Member - Peter (York) - Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 15:28

Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 15:28
The mateship you talk about is alive and well in Aussie ,
1. I listen to the VKS737 HF radio and all I here is people helping others with no mention of what it would cost them , I am proud to be a member .
2. I am a member of Trackcare WA these people all give up there time and pay there own way to fix up tracks for others to travel on saftey ,I am proud to be a member.
3. I have been helped every time I have asked a question on this forum and have never been sent a bill from anyone ,I am proud to be a member
THIS IS ONLY 3 groups I have personal contact with I know there are 1000s more

I moved here fron NZ 25years ago and love this country because of its people and the way there help others
AnswerID: 55320

Reply By: flappan - Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 15:43

Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 15:43
Is it , Australia is becoming more "Amercianised" . . . or . . . Less Pomiefied . . .
AnswerID: 55322

Follow Up By: marcus - Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 16:57

Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 16:57
I started getting concerned when our ambo's became paramedics and the fourby's became S.U.V's
FollowupID: 317134

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 18:09

Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 18:09
Hey Marcus, some of our ambos are paramedics. As for the other - had someone try to book in and when I asked him what sort of a vehicle he told me an SUV - it's like people trying to tell me their 'truck' is a Nissan. So I put him straight - turned out his SUV was really an old Subaru. Still laughing. Poor fellow.
FollowupID: 317160

Reply By: Member - Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 15:44

Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 15:44
Hi Wombat, this response if from Glenn[Vic] who can't reply at the moment....

Wombat, I couldn't agree with you more. The great Aussie spirit of helping
others without justification or reward is quickly and silently diminishing
within our society. This saddens me greatly.

One thing that has been positive from my ExplorOz experience is that this
attitude is far less prevalent than the general state of being. There has
been one exception to this, but I will not discuss it on this open forum.
The mateships that I have developed with people like yourself and your wonderful
wife and daughter, Mr and Mrs Al and the kids, Mr and Mrs Diamond and the
kids, Alpaca and Elaine, etc etc I really appreciate. It is disappointing
that I can no longer contribute to the EO fraternity via the website, but
I doubt that I will lose touch with you all.

Just remember that the Aussie Spirit WILL overcome all in the long run.

Regards

Glenn (VIC)
AnswerID: 55323

Follow Up By: Wombat - Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 15:58

Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 15:58
What happened to Glenn? I thought they had access to computers in jail?
FollowupID: 317110

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 16:47

Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 16:47
They ALL have pooters "inside" just no electricity, although I have heard they are all up on charges hahahahahahahahah

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 317128

Follow Up By: Member - Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 16:53

Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 16:53
Hi Wombat,

Thankfully I am not in gaol. However, in the interests of this post being
deleted, I cannot comment here on what has happened over the past couple
of days. One thing is certain, I am unable to respond on the forum under
my own name.

Regards

Glenn (VIC)
FollowupID: 317129

Follow Up By: Wombat - Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 17:04

Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 17:04
Huh!

The web of intrigue you weave has my curiosity juices flowing.

Is this a guessing game? I like games! Can I go first huh, huh, can I?

Is your first name Osama?
FollowupID: 317139

Follow Up By: Mrs Diamond - Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 18:01

Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 18:01
glenn(vic) is now known as.
OSAMA BIN NAUGHTY lol
FollowupID: 317157

Reply By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 16:27

Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 16:27
Shows what happens when I go to bed early instead of sitting on here. Place goes to pieces. Interesting Post, Wombie. I think we need to start a Philosophical Society. Willem must have been out last night also.
AnswerID: 55331

Reply By: VWR - Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 16:46

Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 16:46
I may not agree with what you say but I will die defending your right to say it (someone famous said that - I forget who)

As long as we don;t forget that one we will be O'K
AnswerID: 55336

Reply By: Bilbo - Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 17:03

Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 17:03
I think it was Voltaire that said that.

Bilbo
AnswerID: 55341

Reply By: TheUndertaker - Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 17:29

Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 17:29
Mateship is still alive and well, yes getting harder to find ,but still out there,,just take this forum as an example, some very good, some so bad and opiniated that that the only mates these people can possibly have are in this cyberspace, no need to name ,O-P-W + the name thief.
AnswerID: 55350

Follow Up By: Davoe - Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 17:41

Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 17:41
I now see what your issue was with your namesake(stealer)
FollowupID: 317150

Reply By: Willem - Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 18:01

Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 18:01
Here I am......nice post Wombat.

After a major crash with me computer and to-ing and fro-ing to Orroroo where a very young brain repaired the damage and saved the day, I am online again.

I have read lots but not all of this thread because much of it, is repetitive. I tend to want to look at the little picture. I live in a small country town where mateship is not dead. I have only a few mates and lots of good acquaintances. I can rely on my mates to get up in the middle of the night to rescue me out on the side of the road as they can rely on me. we help one another out. We get involved in the community and do our bit where our individual expertise is needed.

I know that the feeling is that we are being Americanised but I don't see it that way. I stay an individual following as close as I can to my adopted Australian psyche and try not to cry 'Woe is me' at the drop of a hat. I watch very little TV, I don't read the daily newspapers and I only listen to ABC early mornings or when driving the town car(the 4by does not have a radio). Yeah, boring I know :-) As far as I am concerned we are OK here in the country and in the city for that matter. Example...On Monday I was in the Big Smoke and went buy a new HF aerial. The bloke did not have one but ordered ione to be made straight away. I also bought a new aerial spring. When it came time to pay they only had credit card facility. I said that I would be back after lunch with the money and handed the spring(worth $70) back to him...."No, take it with you he said" "You sure?" "Yes!" Very trusting bloke...but he and I speak the same language and that is probably why. Paid cash after lunch and the aeria was to be sent off on Tuesday by courier. It arrived here this morning.

Mateship is also not dead on this forum. I can class the many people I have met personally by way of this forum, as mates. All good people with a common interest. I am sure that the many others with whom I have corresponded may be my mates as well when I get to meet them personally.

And Wombat, even though we have had 'words' on this forum in the past, I know I can call you a mate.

Cheers
AnswerID: 55358

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 18:04

Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 18:04
Bravo, Willem - well said.
FollowupID: 317158

Follow Up By: TheUndertaker - Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 19:48

Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 19:48
When truth is spoken and or written the " a-oles" are very quiet,, well done Willem.
FollowupID: 317179

Reply By: GOB & denny vic member - Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 18:25

Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 18:25
goodday all

after reading this post i wonder what country william is in or from as he would realise that if not for the old soldiers we remember on sunday we would all be speaking japanese or maybe digging in rice fields

steve
AnswerID: 55366

Reply By: Ian Bee - Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 19:42

Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 19:42
I think we are Americanized when we post things on this forum with the threat of being sued for slander or something that upsets people. Even the forum hosts would be a little hesitant in an ever increasing litagous society to allow this sort of banter to run freely.

I have read all of the posts, and EVERYONE has a legitimate point. No wonder it's hard trying to please the masses............

I guess most of us are in our 40's & 50's........ and we all remember our parents aying..."back in my day........." The difference now is that we have a different platform to voice it from. At the end of the day, it won't really matter a damn....... the only people getting ulcers are the ones worrying too much about inevitable changes, like ourselves.

I for one own & run a Sheetmetal & Welding business, have a loyal following, etc, etc,....... but at the end of the day all I think about is where am I going for this weekend. Perhaps I'm just getting too old & lazy to chase dollars etc!

I only have to watch the six o'clock news to know that we still live in the best country!!!!!!

Cheers

Ian
AnswerID: 55377

Follow Up By: TheUndertaker - Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 19:56

Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 19:56
Nothing realy changes so much,,remember Shirl and the hooks?? horror movie the 6oclock news.
FollowupID: 317181

Reply By: Stonebreaker - Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 21:24

Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 21:24
Wombat, count your blessings. I've asked myself the same question living in Europe some twenty years ago. Since then it only got even worse. We have become a society of thrill-seekers, "living in the fast lane", and striving to achieve a level of well-being is conceived as dull. Helping someone out may make you feel comfortable, but where is the thrill ?
I'm not sure if social security is to blame, but I am sure, that before social security became what it is today, people just had to rely on each other, they had to help each outer out.
If Australia is going the same way as Europe, I can at least agree with Williams bit of advice, something like "Do not worry, the good times will not last so enjoy while they are still here."
AnswerID: 55397

Sponsored Links