New Information about Carrawine Gorge - Pilbara WA

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 18:00
ThreadID: 12263 Views:1781 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I have posted this on behalf of Warrawagine Station for the benefit of visitors planning to go to Carrawine Gorge this season.

just a quick note to let everyone know tha after cyclone fay in late march carawine gorge recieved around 400 to 500mm in 24 hours and all the lovely camping areas no longer exist the big gums were just ripped out and washed away we have just recently flown over the area to check our cattle and discovered the devastation and massive amounts of water still laying about will be proberly mid to late may before you we can get our grader down there to fix up the entrance to carawine for tourisrs and ourselves for mustering. great to get our newsletters and love the site geoff and lynda mills Warrawagine Station
ExplorOz

Business Member
My Profile  My Blog

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bigbear - Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 18:23

Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 18:23
Would have been an awesome to be able to see it in full flood.
Thanks for the info
AnswerID: 55365

Follow Up By: Pluto - Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 21:45

Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 21:45
I've seen photos of Pilbara rivers in flood. Believe me. You don't want to be anywhere near them!
FollowupID: 317219

Reply By: Member Colin - NSW Bungendore - Thursday, Apr 22, 2004 at 00:12

Thursday, Apr 22, 2004 at 00:12
Amazing - most of these rivers are usually dry - although the Carrawine G is always 'full'.

I was working around Marble Bar in '98 when the Coongan was in flood - spent some time racing past the 'Bar' on tyre tubes - great fun - no work!

We also got bogged in the work Troopie - ground was like wet cement - took us 5 hours to dig ourselves out, no trees to winch from! - lesson is to keep well away from rock outcrops after rain!
AnswerID: 55425

Reply By: maverick - Thursday, Apr 22, 2004 at 19:10

Thursday, Apr 22, 2004 at 19:10
i understand the wa4wda was going to do some work up that way installing a toilet at the campsite - may have to hold on (ha ha ha). rgds
Slow down and relax......

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 55551

Sponsored Links