Cameron's Corner

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 22, 2004 at 17:38
ThreadID: 12296 Views:1781 Replies:3 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
We'll be in Sydney and Canberra around June or July or August, and have been toying with the notion of coming home via Camerons Corner. Never been there before, nows as good a time as any kinda reasoning! We are starting to trip-plan, and today the new issue of the 4by mag arrived in the post with a story about driving Sydney to Cameron's Corner! So the idea has re-ignited! So while I am busy with the maps calculating routes, fuel consumption, time frames etc.... have any fellow forumites done the Canberra/Camerons trip?? If so, how long?? How much diesel, applicable only if you have a diesel, obviously :-)

Thanks in advance girls and guys!!!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Steve - Thursday, Apr 22, 2004 at 20:51

Thursday, Apr 22, 2004 at 20:51
Your itinerary is a bit sketchy.. but either way the trip is no big deal .. would be happy to do it in any Holden/Ford sedan...weather permitting.. of course its a dirt road around the corner and fuek available there also ...let us have a few more details on ure trip..
AnswerID: 55572

Follow Up By: Member - Brian (Gold Coast) - Friday, Apr 23, 2004 at 06:35

Friday, Apr 23, 2004 at 06:35
Well... I haven't completed an itinery as yet Steve. I know it's not an "off-the-beaten-track" drive, but still somewhere we haven't been. Would much rather be continuing on through the desert tracks etc etc, and one day we will, but for this years vacation we have family obligations that in Sydney that equate to lots of blacktop, and I just thought that on the way home, for something different, we'll take a detour out to Camerons Corner and have a look-see. After we spend a week in Sydney/Canberra, we have to be able to afford the diesel to get out there y'know? Am interested to find out how long from Canberra, i.e 1, 2, 3 days, a week etc... I have never been out that far west, and as I like to be reasonably thorough with trip planning, I thought I'd ask the question for the forumites to help me plan! So anu info on the area, fuel availability, where to go etc greatly appreciated!
FollowupID: 317472

Reply By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Thursday, Apr 22, 2004 at 21:10

Thursday, Apr 22, 2004 at 21:10
Brian you can vary it by going through sturt nat park via olive downs and the jump up loop tracks not a bad drive and quite pictures.

All the best
Eric
AnswerID: 55579

Follow Up By: Member - Brian (Gold Coast) - Friday, Apr 23, 2004 at 06:38

Friday, Apr 23, 2004 at 06:38
Eric,
I had read somewhere about the Sturt Nat Park.... is it near Tibooburra?? I will check this out on pour maps etc... what are the "jump up loop tracks"?? Are they on the maps? or sign posted?? or do we fond out from the locals??
Thanks Eric
FollowupID: 317473

Follow Up By: Member - Brian (Gold Coast) - Friday, Apr 23, 2004 at 06:41

Friday, Apr 23, 2004 at 06:41
Obviously it's too early for me to be typing.... not "pour" maps but "our" maps, and we don't "fond" out from the locals, we "find" out from the locals!
:-))
FollowupID: 317474

Follow Up By: Mad Dog (Victoria) - Friday, Apr 23, 2004 at 17:58

Friday, Apr 23, 2004 at 17:58
Brian, the two loops start not far out of Tib. Call into the parks office in the middle of town across the road from the pub for all the info you need.
FollowupID: 317540

Follow Up By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Friday, Apr 23, 2004 at 19:24

Friday, Apr 23, 2004 at 19:24
Brian you can call the nat parks and they will send you maps on the area from memory I rang broken hill and they sent me Mootwingee and sturt nat park. its agood drive with a bit off desert driving along the dog fence.
The jump up loop tracks are interesting and pretty isolated but should not be a problem.
Well worth the drive in my opinion.

All the best
Eric
FollowupID: 317545

Follow Up By: Member -Bob & Lex (Sydney) - Friday, Apr 23, 2004 at 20:23

Friday, Apr 23, 2004 at 20:23
Brian I will let you know what Sturt Nat Park is like mid May when I get back from there.
FollowupID: 317550

Reply By: Troopie - Friday, Apr 23, 2004 at 15:01

Friday, Apr 23, 2004 at 15:01
Heya
The trip out to CC is very worthwhile! I'm in Canberra also, so have basically done the same trip you are planning. In terms of Distance it's not really a big deal - of course that depends on what you call a big day, have kids etc.

Anyhow - when we went through that way we were off on our way elsewhere so didn't dawdle to much (there is plenty to see though, as others have noted).

We left Canberra, met friends in Dubbo, first night away in Bourke (big day).

Bourke to Tibooburra on the second day - roads were good to us.

Tibooburra to CC - easy drive - again, roads were in good nick.

After that we went on to Innaminka, Birdsville, Central Oz etc etc so can't help with a return loop - but if you are heading back to QLD then some of this might be appealing..

Was in a petrol vehicle then so can't help with diesel.

Cheers
AnswerID: 55654

Sponsored Links