Any secret outback oasis's

Submitted: Friday, Apr 30, 2004 at 22:18
ThreadID: 12527 Views:2238 Replies:9 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Still planning the big trip.

Our current itinery calls for 1-3 days stop overs at Renmark, Pimba, Coober Pedy, Uluru, Kings Canyon/MacDonnell Ranges, Alice Springs, Chambers Pillar, Dalhousie Springs, Simpson Desert (2 different places), Birdsville, Innamincka, Tibooburra and Broken Hill.

Does anyone have any fantastic places to stay that very few people know about? GPS points would be helpful but I'll take any clues - and yes I can keep a secret.

Thanks

Gaz
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Rick (S.A.) - Friday, Apr 30, 2004 at 22:32

Friday, Apr 30, 2004 at 22:32
If you have a one to 3 day stop over at Pimba it will be a world record for the longest time ever at that place.

With only one thing to do at Pimba (have a drink or something to eat at Spud's roadhouse), you will have a lot of time to do zero!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can I suggest a coupla days at Pt Augusta (Wadlata outback centre, Arid lands botanical park, trip through Pitchi Ritchie Pass to Quorn) & then to Coober Pedy?

Cheers
AnswerID: 56792

Follow Up By: GaryW - Friday, Apr 30, 2004 at 23:02

Friday, Apr 30, 2004 at 23:02
Not every stop is 1-3 days some e.g. Pimba was just an overnighter after a 600k drive. But the Pt Augusta suggestion will be considered. Thanks
FollowupID: 318552

Follow Up By: Slammin - Saturday, May 01, 2004 at 22:28

Saturday, May 01, 2004 at 22:28
Instead of stopping at Pimba, an alternative is to bush camp at the South of Lake Hart. There is a turning area on the north of the road, which is a mini lookout area, no seats or amenities and NE A a track that leaves the area - crosses the train line and then goes down to the salt lake with a small parking area at the edge of the crust - track length short 1k maybe 2. Magic overnighter quiet, clean & really pretty with the red dirt and whiter than white salt.
There is another viewing area that has minor ammentities and is up a hill with the Lake on the West, this area is usually busy and v.close to the highway noisy, rubbish etc. If you see this go south 10ks look for parking area on the nth of highway.
FWIW I only stop at Pimba for fuel.
FollowupID: 318657

Follow Up By: Davoe - Monday, May 03, 2004 at 11:25

Monday, May 03, 2004 at 11:25
Yes but unless things have changed the pub is open 24hrs so you can drink till your hearts content!
FollowupID: 318758

Reply By: Member - ramp - Saturday, May 01, 2004 at 03:31

Saturday, May 01, 2004 at 03:31
hi gary, maybe a stop over at coongie lakes (just north of innamincka) have not been there myself but told they are worth seeing and are on my list of places to visit next year on the simpson desert crossing. cheers rob
AnswerID: 56809

Follow Up By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Saturday, May 01, 2004 at 06:27

Saturday, May 01, 2004 at 06:27
Rob when are you doing the simpson what time of year.
Whens the locka going in.

not many sleeps now.

All the best
Eric
FollowupID: 318568

Follow Up By: Member - ramp - Saturday, May 01, 2004 at 12:50

Saturday, May 01, 2004 at 12:50
hi eric,thinking of going thru white cliffs and up to the birdsville races sept 2005, only spending friday and saturday in birdsville across the simpson for a midnight swim at dalhousie turn head south and turn left sometime, back to sydney.(dont know if it is a boys trip or family at this stage not enough alcohol in the girls yet to talk them into it might try it while where up the cape), its still in planning.detroit goes in late may early june. cheers rob
FollowupID: 318605

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Saturday, May 01, 2004 at 11:05

Saturday, May 01, 2004 at 11:05
Gaz,

Would agree with Coongie Lakes, looks magic from air. Know some others too, but not telling...

Hooroo...
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 56829

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Saturday, May 01, 2004 at 11:07

Saturday, May 01, 2004 at 11:07
Hunters Goge, at the 'Lakes might be good now too, after the recent rain.
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 318597

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Saturday, May 01, 2004 at 13:53

Saturday, May 01, 2004 at 13:53
Bob, don't tell them about that - we want to save the fish for us! Be especially good with that fresh - those Diamantina Barra will be just humungous. Coongie Lakes are full as (Peter Wade was telling me) but road is not open to there yet.
FollowupID: 318612

Reply By: tessa_51 - Saturday, May 01, 2004 at 13:50

Saturday, May 01, 2004 at 13:50
Hi Gary
depending on when you are there, the town common at Innamincka can be a bit like Parramatta Road. You might like to try Cullyamurra Waterhole. Not too far out of town and a delightful camping spot.

Tessa
AnswerID: 56836

Reply By: Member -Bob & Lex (Sydney) - Saturday, May 01, 2004 at 14:21

Saturday, May 01, 2004 at 14:21
If you go via the Bore track from Innaminka to Cameron corner their is a good camp on a billabong about half way thru ( but don't tell anyone ) & then via Sturt Nat Park to Tib
AnswerID: 56840

Reply By: Des Lexic - Saturday, May 01, 2004 at 21:44

Saturday, May 01, 2004 at 21:44
If your stopping over in the Riverland, a few places to see, Overland Corner Pub, Banrock station, Idylic camping spots on the Murray, Cobdogla Steam Museum if you're here on a weekend, plus heaps more if you have the time. If you have kids, the Monash Playground is great for them as well.
AnswerID: 56881

Reply By: Slammin - Saturday, May 01, 2004 at 22:25

Saturday, May 01, 2004 at 22:25
Instead of stopping at Pimba, an alternative is to bush camp at the South of Lake Hart. There is a turning area on the north of the road, which is a mini lookout area, no seats or amenities and NE A a track that leaves the area - crosses the train line and then goes down to the salt lake with a small parking area at the edge of the crust - track length short 1k maybe 2. Magic overnighter quiet, clean & really pretty with the red dirt and whiter than white salt.
There is another viewing area that has minor ammentities and is up a hill with the Lake on the West, this area is usually busy and v.close to the highway noisy, rubbish etc. If you see this go south 10ks look for parking area on the nth of highway.
AnswerID: 56882

Reply By: Slammin - Saturday, May 01, 2004 at 22:26

Saturday, May 01, 2004 at 22:26
AnswerID: 56883

Reply By: Slammin - Saturday, May 01, 2004 at 22:27

Saturday, May 01, 2004 at 22:27
AnswerID: 56884

Follow Up By: Slammin - Sunday, May 02, 2004 at 23:10

Sunday, May 02, 2004 at 23:10
GET THE POINT!!

Only joking the submit post was playing up - strange thing i'd press submit post button and get the response saying "no matches to my search avaiable". Weird little gremlin.
FollowupID: 318736

Sponsored Links