Sydney trails

Submitted: Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 14:02
ThreadID: 12972 Views:1894 Replies:5 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,
I'm very much a newbie. Just bought a Kia Sorento which is my first foray into 4wd. I know I know, it's a Kia, but it has all the things I want and was in my price range. I took it to the dunes at Kurnell on Sunday and had a ball. What I am after now is any trails in or around Sydney, say up to an hour or so away, that I could jump in the car and take the family along. Only want something simple to start with, as I said, I'm a newbie so don't want to push the limits too much yet. Plus the truck is only 4 days old!!!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Peter McGuckian - Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 14:30

Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 14:30
First thing you might consider is to join a 4wd club and do a driver training course. You will then be more confident and able when you are on trips which most clubs run. This is the best way to fnd your way around. Try the toyota club. These are usually very well run and allow all makes to join.

The LIa looks a very capable vehicle. The only suggestion from the reviews was to change the shock absorbers and springs, but you can do this later when you are ready for the more difficult trips.

Enjoy.

Peter
Peter
VKS Mobile 1906

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 59076

Reply By: Member Colin - NSW Bungendore - Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 15:18

Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 15:18
Look at BoilingBilly - they have a lot of great Trek books at reasonable prices incuding '4WD Treks close to Sydney'

I read in the paper over the weekend, that Korean cars are leaders in reliability now!
AnswerID: 59084

Reply By: Michael - Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 15:50

Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 15:50
Sorento.... A truck,,,, Gee i have a patrol and i'm uneasy calling it a truck. there must be a better word for it that.. Best regards michael
AnswerID: 59094

Follow Up By: Sick_em_rex - Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 15:54

Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 15:54
Yeah I know, how about wagon then????
FollowupID: 320725

Reply By: Savvas - Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 16:02

Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 16:02
Here's a few easy and medium trips. All are within 2 hours of Sydney...

Meryla State Forest (near Moss Vale)
Bargo State Recreation Area
Watagan State Forest (Central Coast)
Yengo National Park
Newnes State Forest (near Lithgow)
Ridgewell Road and Hat Hill Road at Blackheath
Mt Hay Road at Leura
Narrowneck Fire Trail at Katoomba
Murphys Fire Trail and Kings Tableland Road in the Blue Mountains Nat Park
AnswerID: 59096

Follow Up By: Sick_em_rex - Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 16:07

Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 16:07
Ahhhhh Savvas you are a legend!
This is exactly what I was looking for. Thankyou so much :-)
FollowupID: 320728

Follow Up By: Member - Penguin (NSW) - Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 16:28

Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 16:28
Don't forget Abercrombie National Park.
FollowupID: 320736

Follow Up By: Savvas - Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 17:22

Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 17:22
No problem ... we actually "christened" a mate's six week old Jackaroo Equipe at Meryla.

Nice, brand new, shiny black Jackaroo. Got it's first scratches. It was terribly emotional for the owner. But I couldn't work out if it was tears of joy, or tears of anguish at his new toy being scratched.

However as already suggested in this thread, get your hands on the Boiling Billy Publications book, 4wd Treks Close to Sydney. You can get it on this site.

And also check out the treks here on Exploroz under the Trip Planning tab.
FollowupID: 320755

Follow Up By: Squid - Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 18:51

Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 18:51
I can vouch for Meryla being a good place to start. Nothing too challenging but a nice drive and you can access some nice tracks in the adjacent Morton National Park which will take you to some nice lookouts. The drive through to Fitzroy Falls is worth it for the views, just beware of bushwalkers.

Bargo State Recreation Area is probably a little more challenging than Meryla, with the tracks becoming more eroded each time I go there. I live close by but haven't been there for a while. It is a fairly short trail though, so you would probably need to link up with some other tracks behind Bargo itself. In fact there are plenty of good beginners tracks around this part of the world, which would be a good introduction. If you need more precise directions just let me know.

Cheers

FollowupID: 320771

Reply By: Member - Rohan K - Wednesday, May 19, 2004 at 13:16

Wednesday, May 19, 2004 at 13:16
Sick_em_rex, I agree with the above, but where in Sydney are you located? You say "within an hour". Well, depending on where you live, you won't even get to the other side of Sydney, let alone some the suggested trek sites.

Also, have a look at the Trek Notes on this site and you'll find more detail on a few of the ones mentioned above.

AnswerID: 59253

Sponsored Links