Travelling with Dogs

Hi am in need of information with regards to traveling with dogs especially with caravan parks and national parks. Are there any travel guides for this subject. We do prefer free camping and only use the parks for washing and maybe a couple of night stays.

Jody
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - TonyV - Tuesday, Sep 15, 2015 at 09:15

Tuesday, Sep 15, 2015 at 09:15
The subject of dogs and travel has been covered here many, many times, a search will provide you with that info.

You love your dogs and believe that they can do no wrong, its the same with children...
others may/will feel differently.

Basically with NP no animals so no camping....
You can traverse National Parks but not stay and technically you shouldn't stop and let your dogs wander into the Park to relieve itself.

Get Wiki Camp App on Android or iPhone for camp sites or do a search for many other opinions and even facts....
AnswerID: 590374

Follow Up By: Steve - Tuesday, Sep 15, 2015 at 20:13

Tuesday, Sep 15, 2015 at 20:13
This, in a nutshell. Although we can extend that to "our partners or ourselves or grey nomads can do no wrong".

We have travelled with our dog for 12 years and have to miss some attractions but not usually a major problem. We'll do them when we no longer have a dog. Plenty of places to go with your dog. You even find dog minders or other dog owners that you can come to an arrangement with whilst you visit local attractions. Just do some research.
FollowupID: 858412

Reply By: Gronk - Tuesday, Sep 15, 2015 at 09:18

Tuesday, Sep 15, 2015 at 09:18
Don't know about travel guides, but you should be able to get a list of van parks that allow dogs..

Nat parks is easy....none will allow pets....but most will allow you to travel thru ( without stopping )
AnswerID: 590375

Reply By: Member - Keith C (NSW) - Tuesday, Sep 15, 2015 at 09:32

Tuesday, Sep 15, 2015 at 09:32
Most nat/parks will allow dogs in certain circumstances, caravan park guide books list parks that allow dogs, nearly all outback places will accept dogs now,as long as they're under control and quiet. Keith
AnswerID: 590376

Reply By: TomH - Tuesday, Sep 15, 2015 at 10:08

Tuesday, Sep 15, 2015 at 10:08
SOME do MOST DONT Google this and have a read

'national parks in australia that allow dogs"

Easier for you to do it than me copy all the links

Then you will get the CORRECT info
AnswerID: 590378

Follow Up By: Member - Keith C (NSW) - Tuesday, Sep 15, 2015 at 13:34

Tuesday, Sep 15, 2015 at 13:34
Tom, I did say in certain circumstances,eg., companion dogs or guide dogs etc., We have travelled in a great many Nat.,Parks in all states with our dog and have never been refused entry, permits will be issued on request with sufficient medical proof, by the state you want to visit. SA were more than helpful when we crossed the Simpson Desert 2 years ago, they reissued the permit twice for our dog,and at Dalhousie Springs the rangers were quite happy to see her.
When I applied for a companion animal permit for QLD I was told a medical cert would suffice,and this proved to be the case. We always keep a current cert in the
car. Regards Keith
FollowupID: 858397

Follow Up By: TomH - Tuesday, Sep 15, 2015 at 14:17

Tuesday, Sep 15, 2015 at 14:17
Perhaps mentioning the "certain circumstances" would have been beneficial.
All dogs are "companions," whether medically needed or not is another question. Perhaps Johnny Depp should have used that excuse ROFL.
FollowupID: 858401

Follow Up By: Bigfish - Tuesday, Sep 15, 2015 at 15:56

Tuesday, Sep 15, 2015 at 15:56
All dogs that are loved by their owners are companion dogs. Nothing special about them. Just a dog that is looked after well.
Assistance and guide dogs I can understand having special treatment/rights. Not a companion dog though. I love my dog to bits but would never dream of having a certificate as a companion dog. Bit of a rort in my opinion. My last dog of 14 years broke my heart when she died. Dog lover from since I was a kid.
FollowupID: 858403

Follow Up By: Member - Stuart and Gunny - Tuesday, Sep 15, 2015 at 16:54

Tuesday, Sep 15, 2015 at 16:54
Hi Katz78
Who do you contact for a companion dog certificate and what are the requirements?
Thanks
Stuart and Gunny
FollowupID: 858407

Follow Up By: Member - Stuart and Gunny - Tuesday, Sep 15, 2015 at 16:57

Tuesday, Sep 15, 2015 at 16:57
Sorry the above questions i should have asked Keith
FollowupID: 858408

Follow Up By: Member - Keith C (NSW) - Tuesday, Sep 15, 2015 at 17:40

Tuesday, Sep 15, 2015 at 17:40
Stuart,My wife has bi-polar which is generally well managed but if separated from her dog for a while she frets, her doctors give her an updated medical cert.,when we apply for a permit to take the dog we include a copy, and as I said we haven't been refused yet.Keith
FollowupID: 858409

Follow Up By: Tony H15 - Tuesday, Sep 15, 2015 at 17:52

Tuesday, Sep 15, 2015 at 17:52
Mr google is your best friend:
http://www.dogandcatboard.com.au/accreditation-of-disability-dogs
FollowupID: 858410

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Sep 15, 2015 at 22:43

Tuesday, Sep 15, 2015 at 22:43
Hi Tom

Your wording "national parks in australia that allow dogs" only Googled up this thread, however the following will do better

"Pets in Parks - where you can go with your dog in National and State Parks"

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 858414

Reply By: Member - KBAD - Tuesday, Sep 15, 2015 at 20:27

Tuesday, Sep 15, 2015 at 20:27
Hi Jody will copy and paste part of an article my wife wrote for the CMCA about this subject, hope it helps.

Parks and beaches
The main sources we use are Council/Shire websites. Many have useful maps showing the dog exercise areas, on leash and off.

In Western Australia the Local Government Association (WALGA) has developed a statewide App, called ‘Local Eye’. It lists dog friendly parks within a 20km distance of your location. The App is available on iTunes and the Google Play store. The Local Government Association of South Australia also has a similar App called, ‘My Local Services’ available at the Apple Apps Store and Google Play store. Whilst really for residents of SA, it has a great list of dog friendly parks and events. Both Apps are free.

Pawclub.com.au has a national ‘Places to go’ interactive map covering parks & beaches and other pet services.

Camping
Most people are aware of the publications, Camps 8 Australia Wide and Bush camping with dogs. In addition to these, we read a lot of camping, caravanning and 4WD magazines. Any dog friendly camping spots are cut out from the magazines and put in a folder.

Pet-Friendly Accommodation on Australia’s East Coast by Carla Francis. Covers 5 star hotels to campground from Melbourne to Cairns. The beauty of this book is that it covers birds and horse friendly places, not just cats and dogs.

Internet searching brings up a myriad of possible websites that can also help. Our experience though is that some of those sites are unreliable, cover only a few places, are out of date, or pushing a particular brand of caravan park. Here’s a list of resources we regularly use when planning a trip.

We use forums a lot to check out best places on all pet friendly needs. Our favourites are, ‘The Grey Nomads’ (free) (www.thegreynomads.com.au), it has a travelling with pets section on its forum and the Exploroz forum (subscription) (www.exploroz.com). Trip advisor is starting to get reviews about camping places with and without dogs (www.tripadvisor.com.au)

Other sources are blogs written by fellow travellers with pets, some are CMCA members. There are some newish websites on camping with dogs but have limited information at the moment. They are worth checking from time to time as they add more information to their sites. An Internet search on ‘camping with dogs in Australia’ generates a list of these types of sites.

Medical
Needing emergency vet treatment often is unexpected and can be in an unfamiliar location. If you are on the road permanent or for an extended period then regular checkup ups and vaccinations need to be done.

The Australian Veterinary Association has a national ‘find a vet’ tool on its website, www.ava.com.au. You can search by postcode or an interactive map. In non-metro areas where there is not a vet in every town, the results show vets that are in the nearest towns to the postcode you have entered. However, its limitation is that not all vets in Australia are AVA members. To overcome this, our second approach is to do an Internet search on any towns we will be staying in, or near, using the name of the town and the word ‘vet’ in the search.

Other good sources to locate a vet or understand how often the visiting vet comes to the town are visitor centres, local councils/shires and local business directories. Whilst many provide information online, it is sometimes necessary to email or phone to get the information. If you are staying in caravan parks then ask at the time of booking where the nearest vet is located.

The pet first aid App on our smartphone has a feature to find a 24/7 emergency vet. It is called First Aid for Pets Australia and is available for Android and Apple phones and it’s free.

Boarding
Visiting National Parks, if camping overnight at the park, means leaving pets somewhere else.

Pawclub.com.au has a national ‘Places to go’ interactive map with boarding kennels and pet minding. The website has lots of very useful information and tools for other aspects of pet ownership.

Kennel dog’s website (www.kennel-dog.com.au) has a national directory of dog boarding kennels. You can search by postcode or click on a link to download an alphabetical list of kennels in Melbourne, Adelaide, Sydney, Darwin, Gold Coast, Brisbane, Tasmania, Perth or Canberra.

Pet Industry Association website Member Directory (www.piaa.net.au/directory/). Click on the ‘About our Members’ tab and you will find a searchable section for member category (Pet Boarding and Dog Training Members) and the ability to chose which postcode or just by State. It’s an alphabetical list of businesses. It also includes pet sitters, not just boarding facilities.

Local vets sometime offer boarding short term and are worth checking with directly. Some RSPCA shelters and other dog rescue kennels take paid private clients to help raise funds for their rescue activities.

Sometimes the caravan parks offer pet minding. It is not unheard of for dog owners at a caravan park to look after each others pets so that people can go to places where pets are not allowed.
AnswerID: 590393

Reply By: Gone Bush (WA) - Wednesday, Sep 16, 2015 at 09:17

Wednesday, Sep 16, 2015 at 09:17
This blog is handy if your are travelling through Vic, NSW and QLD.

Travel Dogs Australia
I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 590405

Sponsored Links