Scenic route from Grafton to Armidale in Toyota Rav and a tent

Submitted: Tuesday, Sep 22, 2015 at 16:33
ThreadID: 130371 Views:2516 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi, planning on a weeks tent camping holiday in a fortnight. I live in Brisbane.
Any suggestions on which route to take from Grafton to Armidale.
Looking for the most scenic route.
Hopefully will be able to find a camping site , suitable for a tent along the way.
I have been told this is a lovely area of NSW.
Could I please thank anyone who responds in advance.
Many thanks.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bushranger1 - Tuesday, Sep 22, 2015 at 17:21

Tuesday, Sep 22, 2015 at 17:21
G'day,
Its one beautiful area of Australia.
Spent many months exploring the area on foot & by 4wd over the years.
Oxley Wild rivers NP has lots of camp areas with some great Waterfalls.

Lots of must see National parks that are very different to each other & unique.
To name just a few.

Gibraltar Range, Washpool, Styx river, Cathedral rock, Dorrigo, Chaelundi, Nymboida.

I reckon there are some much better areas of rainforest than people go all the way up to Queensland to see!
Enjoy. You will want to go back. Just look at the Google map of the area & you will see LOTS of green forest areas on the map.

Cheers
Stu
AnswerID: 590607

Reply By: geo22 - Tuesday, Sep 22, 2015 at 17:27

Tuesday, Sep 22, 2015 at 17:27
An easy & scenic drive would be to take the road southwest out of Grafton towards Nymboida. Follow that road up the dividing range to Ebor (beautiful waterfalls there) where the road joins the Waterfall Way. Drive the Waterfall Way to Armidale. Plenty of places to camp, lots of waterfalls & lovely scenery. Bitumen roads all the way. Do it easily in a day or take your time.
If you want a more challenging drive along a gravel road head out along the Gwydir Highway & on the outskirts of town turn left onto the Old Glen Innes road. This is a very scenic dirt road, narrow in part, some options for camping & would be no problem in a RAV. This would be a much slower journey that takes you to the New England Hwy at Glen Innes or make your way along back roads to Armidale. Pick up info on both options from the Info Centre at Grafton or online. Enjoy the journey.
AnswerID: 590608

Reply By: rumpig - Tuesday, Sep 22, 2015 at 20:09

Tuesday, Sep 22, 2015 at 20:09
Drive the Old Grafton - Glenn Innes Rd, you won't be disappointed. Mann River campground near the Glenn Innes end of the road is a nice little camp ground.
AnswerID: 590616

Reply By: Member - Mark (Tamworth NSW) - Tuesday, Sep 22, 2015 at 21:56

Tuesday, Sep 22, 2015 at 21:56
Check the following places out with Google or NSW NP web site.

"The Junction" of Nymboida and Little Nymboida Rivers (Nymberoi NP?); Chaelundi NP numerous places; Platypus Flat; Ebor Falls; stacks of places around the Dorrigo escparpment;New England NP - Point Look out with Alpine Heath vegetation @ 1550m and nearby Antarctic Beach Forests (Like in Lord of the Rings, the equal to what you see on the Overland Track in Tassie) numerous walks and waterfalls in temperate rainforests; Forest Drive down alongside Styx River; then getting into drier regions Wollomombi Falls (2nd highest falls in Australia I think); Dangars Falls 20km south of Armidale. Cathedral Rock is OK, but I think nearby New England NP is better.

Gibraltar Range-Washpool has a good 3-4 day loop walk, but that's on the Grafton-Glen Innes Rd, where as all the above mentioned places are on or just off the 200km Grafton- Armidale Rd and more suited to car camping. If the weather turns ordinary, base yourself at Ebor Pub or some of the cabins near/in New England NP. I'm hoping to spend 2 days at Washpool, or a day at New England NP this weekend.

I've travelled much of mainland Australia and I think that region is the most beautiful part of NSW. I've accessed all those places in conventional sedans. Just remember temperatures may drop to as low as -3 once you get to Ebor and west though even in early October.
AnswerID: 590619

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Tuesday, Sep 22, 2015 at 22:05

Tuesday, Sep 22, 2015 at 22:05
As others have said, plenty of opportunities but the Old Glen Innes road and the campground mentioned on that road is a real adventure. Have a look in the Places section on this site (look in the blue bar across the top of the page).

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 590621

Sponsored Links