Sunday History Photo / Qld

Submitted: Sunday, Sep 27, 2015 at 06:38
ThreadID: 130417 Views:2803 Replies:1 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
The first "Ekka" was held at Bowen Park in 1876. The site, still used by the Ekka today, was then on the outskirts of Brisbane .
The Alfred Shaw & Co stand with it's grandiose display of "Brisbane, Melbourne & London". Apparently the windmill, pictured below, was one of many diifernet designs imported by the company and was used to power much of the machinery on display. A windmill was to be used as a company logo in Queensland appearing in much of the advertising and in miniature on the roof of company buildings.

The Ekka is Queensland's largest annual event with recent shows drawing more than 400,000 visitors. It aims to showcase Queensland culture, produce, resources and initiatives. This is done through a range of competitions, award ceremonies, exhibits, educational displays, animal and performances. There is a sideshow alley, showbag pavilion, numerous food and beverage outlets and a range of entertainment including nightly fireworks displays. It typically starts on a Friday in August and continues for 10 days to close on a Sunday.

The significance of the first exhibition held in 1876 was described by locals as the most important event since the separation of Queensland from New South Wales in 1859.
The first show, held between 22–26 August 1876, attracted 17,000 visitors. The centrepiece of the grounds was the timber exhibition building which housed 1,700 individual exhibits in total. One of the first popular attractions was a timber bridge built by saw-miller William Pettigrew. The show was a spin-off from the famous International Exhibitions being held in Britain and worldwide dating from the Crystal Palace Exhibition of 1851.

A new grandstand designed by Claude William Chambers was open for the 1906 show. It was later named the John Macdonald Stand in recognition of a long-serving member of the Royal National Association. In 1920, the show was visited by King Edward VIII who was asked and gave permission for the name of the association to change to the Royal National Agricultural and Industrial Association of Queensland.
During a time when the Ekka was still young, the main purpose of the agricultural show, as its name suggests, was to show off many agricultural and industrial exhibits. It was a chance for people to show off newly invented agricultural and industrial devices such as ultra modern ploughing, sowing and harvesting artifacts.

Cattle and other farm animals were also exhibited during the show, a practice that remains to this day, the animal nursery is still a place for children and adults alike to go and witness all the baby animals in all their glory. Since its opening, the show has only been cancelled twice, in 1919 throughout the time of the Spanish flu pandemic, during this time, the grounds were employed as temporary hospital wards for the sick, and in 1942, due to World War II.

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 10 Moderator

Reply By: muzbry - Sunday, Sep 27, 2015 at 08:45

Sunday, Sep 27, 2015 at 08:45
Gday Doug
Thanks, but not being from Queensland, what does "EKKA" stand for?
AnswerID: 590782

Follow Up By: Member - Tony H (touring oz) - Sunday, Sep 27, 2015 at 09:00

Sunday, Sep 27, 2015 at 09:00
I believe/think it is a play on the word exhibition.... as in Brisbane Exhibition Show.....The 'EKKA'
I will stand corrected
Insanity doesnt run in my family.... it gallops!

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 858816

Follow Up By: muzbry - Sunday, Sep 27, 2015 at 09:21

Sunday, Sep 27, 2015 at 09:21
Thanks Tony
Sounds feasable..
FollowupID: 858817

Follow Up By: Life Member-Doug T NSW - Sunday, Sep 27, 2015 at 10:23

Sunday, Sep 27, 2015 at 10:23
Sorry mate...I thought every one was from Queensland.....lol

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 858823

Follow Up By: Member - Michael P (QLD) - Sunday, Sep 27, 2015 at 13:29

Sunday, Sep 27, 2015 at 13:29
Muz,

It' like our beer (XXXX) to confuse You Mexican's
FollowupID: 858830

Follow Up By: TomH - Sunday, Sep 27, 2015 at 16:44

Sunday, Sep 27, 2015 at 16:44
I was told its XXXX because Aussies couldnt spell beer.

So maybe its EKKA because they cant spell Exhibition.

ROFLMAO
FollowupID: 858844

Follow Up By: MUZBRY- Life member(Vic) - Sunday, Sep 27, 2015 at 17:11

Sunday, Sep 27, 2015 at 17:11
Gday Doug
Actualy i am from NSW born in Sydney and moved to Tamworth in 1944. I dont remember the move , but was there for over twenty years . I have been back for a visit once since 1965 .
Muzbry
Great place to be Mt Blue Rag 27/12/2012

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 858847

Sponsored Links