Arkaroola Village Bush Camping.. Septic stench..

Submitted: Friday, Oct 09, 2015 at 09:26
ThreadID: 130545 Views:2978 Replies:9 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Be careful where you setup if you use the Bush Camping site at Arkaroola Village in the Flinders.. their Septic is poorly maintained and overflowing. The stench wafts through various parts of that site. They are disinterested in resolving the issue despite raw sewerage flowing into the nearby creek.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: HKB Electronics - Friday, Oct 09, 2015 at 09:46

Friday, Oct 09, 2015 at 09:46
Last tijme I was there around three years ago all was well.

As for now, they may be disintersted but as they are running a resort providing camping and caravaning facilites I would imagine the health authorites would be interested?

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 591375

Follow Up By: Duncan2H - Friday, Oct 09, 2015 at 13:37

Friday, Oct 09, 2015 at 13:37
Yes, very good point. I have just made a report to Natural Resources SA (Arid Lands).
FollowupID: 859450

Reply By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Friday, Oct 09, 2015 at 10:02

Friday, Oct 09, 2015 at 10:02
We opted to stay at NP camp about 2 k's in from the turn off - much nicer and less crowded. The top camp at Arkaroola sucks.
AnswerID: 591377

Follow Up By: Duncan2H - Friday, Oct 09, 2015 at 10:07

Friday, Oct 09, 2015 at 10:07
Yes.. I was less than impressed with the entire site. Run down, poorly maintained. I regret it.. but was keen on a shower by that time.
FollowupID: 859440

Reply By: shanegu6 - Friday, Oct 09, 2015 at 12:55

Friday, Oct 09, 2015 at 12:55
Arkaroola camping amenities are filthy and run down. Spent 3 nights there about 2 and a half months ago. Was very disappointed.

The toilets are constantly backed up or over flowing. At the time the female amenities were worse than the men's. This caused our 10yo daughter to have to use the men's facilities.

We wont be returning there again.
AnswerID: 591394

Follow Up By: Sigmund - Friday, Oct 09, 2015 at 17:31

Friday, Oct 09, 2015 at 17:31
Amenities were dirty in May too.Bush camp toilet urinal closed & the light dead.

Industrial junk litters the area - running back years.
FollowupID: 859456

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Friday, Oct 09, 2015 at 18:48

Friday, Oct 09, 2015 at 18:48
Interesting! We spent 3 nights there this year and the place was fine - clean amenities and no suggestion of overflowing sewerage. We were camped in the creekbed below the amenities.
It was a great place and we'll be returning!
AnswerID: 591407

Reply By: Idler Chris - Friday, Oct 09, 2015 at 23:35

Friday, Oct 09, 2015 at 23:35
And the generator there is in a tin shed and is the noisiest you will find anywhere. You go to the bush camps and you can still hear it. Not a nice spot to camp at all.
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 591421

Reply By: Chris v4 - Friday, Oct 09, 2015 at 23:51

Friday, Oct 09, 2015 at 23:51
We stayed for 4 nights approx. 6 weeks ago. We stayed one night in a room with shared kitchen facilities. It had such a disgustingly dirty kitchen my friend and I washed floors and cleaned bench tops. Thank goodness it was cold because the pool was very uninviting. From there we moved up to the top camp ground. The view was breath taking, but, the amenities were disgusting. So dirty and unkept that I went down to complain and was told it was because the variety club had been through and have yet to clean up. When we 3 days later nothing had changed.

We have been there numerous times before and has always been okay. It truly is a beautiful that has been poorly maintained.
AnswerID: 591422

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Saturday, Oct 10, 2015 at 09:06

Saturday, Oct 10, 2015 at 09:06
It would appear some folk expect miracles when visiting remote areas!

Was at Arkaroola for three nights approx. 4 weeks ago.
We were camped at the top camp ground and both the Male and Female amenities blocks were quite adequate. The urinal in the Men's block had been removed and in the process of replacement, but all toilet and shower cubicles were clean and functional.

During our stay, we ventured into the lower bush camping area for a look and at the first campsite we came across, a fire had been left smouldering, after the campers had vacated the site. This was reported to the management as we had no water with us at that time.

In all circumstances, but especially the more remote locations such as Arkaroola Village, facilities can only be as good as the "users" allow them to be. Leaving them in a poor and dirty state just affects the next campers, as repairs or replacements may take a long time to rectify.
I can well imagine the "state of affairs" that would be left after a Variety Bash, or similar exercise has passed through the place, including overflowing septic. Hell, we made an effort during our 4 week trip to be out of Birdsville, before the race weekend was held and did not venture from our Coopers Creek campsite at Windorah, during the International Yabbie Races on the Wednesday evening. Speaking to the bar tender the next day, he said it was a "hectic" night, with around 1500 people to cater for and was not exactly an enjoyable time.
We travel the outback to get away from "the mob".

Doug and Marg Spriggs, the owners of Arkaroola, are nice people and easy to talk to. They are practicing environmentalists who strive to make folk who visit their Arkaroola venture feel welcome and enjoy their experience there.
We had no complaints whatsoever on the facilities we encountered during our stay there.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 591429

Follow Up By: Duncan2H - Saturday, Oct 10, 2015 at 10:40

Saturday, Oct 10, 2015 at 10:40
Nice hyperbole.. I'm not after miracles.. but I draw the line at a foul stench in a "bush campground" from what is clearly poor maintenance of a septic system.
FollowupID: 859479

Follow Up By: Sigmund - Saturday, Oct 10, 2015 at 12:21

Saturday, Oct 10, 2015 at 12:21
It's not remoteness here that's the problem, it's slackness.
FollowupID: 859481

Follow Up By: shanegu6 - Saturday, Oct 10, 2015 at 21:04

Saturday, Oct 10, 2015 at 21:04
That urinal in the men's toilet was getting replaced 10 weeks ago and it still wasn't completed when you were there.

Doug is a nice fellow, but if they want to charge what they do for what is effectively a bush camp. In the fight for the tourist dollar I don't they'll come out a winner in this day and age.
FollowupID: 859489

Follow Up By: Duncan2H - Saturday, Oct 10, 2015 at 21:07

Saturday, Oct 10, 2015 at 21:07
Urinal still out of service 1st Oct..
FollowupID: 859490

Follow Up By: Sigmund - Sunday, Oct 11, 2015 at 06:56

Sunday, Oct 11, 2015 at 06:56
In May, re the bush camp dunny: urinal closed, light dead (for the 3 days I was there), no paper in the hand towel dispenser, a tatty note on the cistern explaining how to use it to avoid it jamming open.

The first time I went there, about 6 years ago, there was a stink in the caravan park section, coming from I think a pool of noisome water at the bottom.

In short, a lack of basic maintenance.

Now I don't care whether there's a dunny there or not as DIY is no problem, but I've been to a range of outback camps and most are better maintained, and if you're going to provide and charge for amenities then do it properly.
FollowupID: 859492

Reply By: salee75 - Sunday, Oct 11, 2015 at 23:48

Sunday, Oct 11, 2015 at 23:48
Bugger!!! If only this post was a few weeks ago. Pretty sure we camped RIGHT NEXT TO the sewage outlet, and bloody hell it stank. The facilities were OK, but I thought the upper campground was rubbish, and not just because of the raw sewage being pumped out next to the camp sites. $400 for the pleasure of sitting in the back of a ute to tour the 4wd track. Budding environmentalists? I call BS, they're there to make a buck.
AnswerID: 591473

Follow Up By: Sigmund - Monday, Oct 12, 2015 at 12:19

Monday, Oct 12, 2015 at 12:19
I can appreciate the costs of operating there are going to be higher than closer to a town. Also appreciate the work that's been done to restore the lands, to signpost the walks and drives, to add interpretive signage and so on. It's a great place to visit.

Part of this appreciation comes from reading Giselda Sprigg's book, Dune is a Four Letter Word. From that you can see the struggle, financial and physical, to establish the sanctuary.

It may be that since then some complacency has crept into the management of the place.
FollowupID: 859536

Reply By: Batt's - Wednesday, Oct 14, 2015 at 23:58

Wednesday, Oct 14, 2015 at 23:58
Sounds like a good place to steer well clear of especially if these practicing environmentalist is that suppose to soften the blow or help one feel sorry for people who let raw sewage as described escape into the environment and local creek and not maintain basic amenities for their paying customers. Hopefully something is done and a clean up is ordered or they are shut down until they fix their problems before someone becomes seriously ill due to their neglect. I bet they have lost a lot of business due to word of mouth from disgruntled travellers.
AnswerID: 591611

Sponsored Links