Old Broken Hill Rd (Wentworth-Broken Hill)

Submitted: Sunday, Dec 06, 2015 at 03:28
ThreadID: 131050 Views:1808 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hello,

Planning a day drive from Mildura to Broken Hill and I'm keen to explore the Old Broken Hill Road. Has anyone driven it recently and can advise on 2wd suitability?
Also are there any remains of old timber bridges or other relics from when it was the highway?
I did find an old thread with some useful info but more recent experience would be very handy.
http://www.exploroz.com/Forum/Topic/81393/OLD_BROKEN_HILL_ROAD.aspx

Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Les - PK Ranger - Sunday, Dec 06, 2015 at 07:41

Sunday, Dec 06, 2015 at 07:41
Hello Warren,
I'm not totally clear on the Old Broken Hill Rd.

If it's via Menindee you should be fine as long as it hasn't / doesn't rain.
I would ensure tyre pressures aren't over inflated for highway driving, and even drop a 2 or 3 psi (road tyres) from the recommended to help with comfort and to reduce possible tyre damage.

If the normal road, don't think I've ever driven it (Silver City Hwy), but it is totally sealed so no probs 2wd.

I imagine if you are looking for old relics / infrastructure to photograph etc, I'm sure you will find quite a bit on either route, especially around the river at Wentworth.

Cheers, and have a good drive, blacktop is only a half dayer (300km), but you might take a day with a little exploring / photo stops.
I imagine the Menindee unsealed road (an extra 75km or so) would be an all dayer taking it easy.
AnswerID: 593437

Reply By: colanjen - Sunday, Dec 06, 2015 at 10:34

Sunday, Dec 06, 2015 at 10:34
Hi Warren,

I drove it a year or so ago, no probs for 2wd. A lovely change from the bitumen, there was a narrow bridge across the Darling River Annabranch and I took a picture at the spot but can't remember whether the bridge was old or not.

Well worth the effort of driving it.

Regards Colin.
AnswerID: 593446

Reply By: WarrenTC - Sunday, Dec 06, 2015 at 13:17

Sunday, Dec 06, 2015 at 13:17
Hi All - just to clarify, the Old Broken Hill Road is an old section of the Silver City Highway which starts just before the Bunnerungee Bridge over the Anabranch approx 66km north of Wentworth and rejoins the highway near Popilta Lake appox 115km north of Wentworth.
AnswerID: 593460

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Sunday, Dec 06, 2015 at 15:09

Sunday, Dec 06, 2015 at 15:09
Found it on Bonzle, that looks like an interesting drive.
FollowupID: 861672

Sponsored Links