Sydney to William Creek

Submitted: Monday, Jan 18, 2016 at 15:24
ThreadID: 131391 Views:2279 Replies:3 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,
Is there a section on Exploroz to get a trip planner for the above trek?
I think I would like to go via Tibooburra.
Pulling a small van behind a Prado with a reasonable amount of dirt driving experience. The van has been on dirt roads before.
I can draw a line on a map but a suggested trek with notes would be handy.
Thanks
bill
Bill B

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mick O - Monday, Jan 18, 2016 at 16:52

Monday, Jan 18, 2016 at 16:52
Bill, why don't you go to the EO Treknotes section and have a look at what's there. While there's probably nothing that will exactly fit your route, bits and bobs from others will (Oodnadatta Track/Flinders Ranges trek notes for example). Then go up to Blogs or user treks and do a search through them around relevant places, towns or routes.

You'll be amazed at what you can find in there.

Cheers

Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 595118

Reply By: Michael H9 - Monday, Jan 18, 2016 at 18:48

Monday, Jan 18, 2016 at 18:48
I would go through Broken Hill to Yunta and turn off onto the dirt through the Flinders Ranges to Wilpena or Arkaroola, then up to Marree and William Creek. On the way back I would turn at Lyndhurst onto the Strzelecki up towards Merty Merty, then Cameron Corner, Tibooburra, Bourke and home. I'd do it tomorrow if I had time, it's a great trip.
AnswerID: 595121

Follow Up By: Member - bbuzz (NSW) - Monday, Jan 18, 2016 at 19:24

Monday, Jan 18, 2016 at 19:24
Thanks Michael.
That's the sort of suggestion I was looking for.

I will check it out on Camps and then see what I can expect the road condition will be.

Beauty!

bill
Bill B

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 863748

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Monday, Jan 18, 2016 at 20:36

Monday, Jan 18, 2016 at 20:36
If it works out for your travel day, Farina is a great spot to camp, $5 pp a night, I'm sure it will be in Wikicamps or the book.

When are you heading up there Bill ?
Is William Ck just something on the bucket list you want to do ?

There are plenty more to see of interest up the Ood Tk, depending on your time available.
FollowupID: 863750

Follow Up By: Member - bbuzz (NSW) - Monday, Jan 18, 2016 at 21:32

Monday, Jan 18, 2016 at 21:32
Thanks Les.

I have been over the Flinders a few times and out to William Creek on a day trip.

Just want to see Lake Eyre and the towns from the eastern access. Not in a hurry as I am retired.

See a reply lower down.

Thanks for your interest

bill
Bill B

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 863756

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Monday, Jan 18, 2016 at 22:58

Monday, Jan 18, 2016 at 22:58
Couple of months is good mate, be cooler but still chance of hot weather into March so leave it as late as you can or April.
Should still be water in Lake Eyre, do a flight as it is supposed to be the only way to see the vastness . . . that's on my bucket list when we do a slow run up or down the track . . . we are usually making a beeline for home.
FollowupID: 863764

Reply By: Baz - The Landy - Monday, Jan 18, 2016 at 20:13

Monday, Jan 18, 2016 at 20:13
Hi Bill

I’ve done numerous trips heading that way and you might be interested to take a read through a number of blogs/stories that I have written on the region.

In 2014 I did a trip Sydney to Birdsville via the Flinders Ranges, back down through Innamincka and Tibooburra, Louth and back to Sydney.

Not quite covering William Creek and although passing that way numerous times and only last September, I have not written anything on it the Oodnadatta Track and William Creek...

If you start with the following blog that I have linked below and work your way through it covers a couple of weeks of travel.

Hopefully you can find something of interest and drop me a line if you have any questions. My email address is in my profile.

Start here: Heading Out West with The Landy Go West Young Man

And as suggested by Mick O – take a look at some of the trek notes on EO, and other blogs, as you will find plenty of information.

Enjoy the planning, it can be (almost) as much fun as the trip.

Cheers, Baz – The Landy
AnswerID: 595128

Follow Up By: Member - bbuzz (NSW) - Monday, Jan 18, 2016 at 21:30

Monday, Jan 18, 2016 at 21:30
Thanks Baz,

I will read them ASAP. Not going for a couple of months, but as I am retired I can go anytime!

I have been to the Flinders Ranges a few times and out to Arkaroola as well. I am interested in coming in from the other side now that Lake Eyre is full.

Not sure if my Windsor 4.4 van will handle the tracks. I have been all over Outback NSW and the bottom of SW Qld with it and had no problems, so I am reasonably confident of getting there. Just a matter of checking the road conditions I guess.

Thanks for your help

bill
Bill B

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 863755

Follow Up By: Sigmund - Tuesday, Jan 19, 2016 at 14:37

Tuesday, Jan 19, 2016 at 14:37
The Strez, the Ood and the Birdsville are all getting graded more often these days and can be like dirt highways. I've seen next to no bulldust holes on them so there've been few surprises when towing the CT. Ditto for Cameron Corner to the Old and New Strez.
Even if you hit a stretch of 'horro corro' down the road it'll be different!
CT Mark 1 just had leaf springs and no shocks.Airing down by at least 30% and keeping to 80 or less meant no dramas.
FollowupID: 863806

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Tuesday, Jan 19, 2016 at 22:08

Tuesday, Jan 19, 2016 at 22:08
What Sigmund said, Bill.

When we did a Rig Road crossing Oct, '15, there were graders, with water & tip trucks working on the Birdsville and Strezlecki Tracks, and 2 graders working in tandem on the Oodnadatta Track between Algebuckna and Oodanadatta. Generally all these roads were pretty good, for so late in the year.

Had a yarn to a senior vintage couple at Innamincka on the same trip, and they had come up the Old Strezlecki from Cameron Corner. They were in a smallish Jeep(not a Grand Cherokee anyway), towing a bogie axle pop top van, and said the old track was excellent, "as the mining companies keep it in good order" unquote. They were then heading up the Cordillo Downs track, to Birdsville I think. Pretty good for a couple of oldies, I thought, in 40deg plus temps. All I wanted to do that day was stay in the aircon, making quite quick tracks towards home!!!

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 863826

Sponsored Links