Snowy Mountains Yarrongabilly to Tom Groggin

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 04, 2016 at 15:45
ThreadID: 131545 Views:3626 Replies:6 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
We are looking to travel from Sydney via Gundagai, Tumut to Yarrongabilly area for an overnight on the Long Plain, then Mt Selwyn Cabramurra Khancoban to Tom Groggin.
Our vehicle is a Holden Colorado towing a 23' "Retreat" van.
Have noticed that the Alpine Way is not recommended for big vans and we are wondering how bad it really is we have been on the big lap now for a few years and have had experience with undulating and narrow roads.
Any recent info and opinions would be gratefully appreciated.

Grant
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rangiephil - Thursday, Feb 04, 2016 at 16:14

Thursday, Feb 04, 2016 at 16:14
I for one would not take a van up the Alpine Way.

Also the road from Cabramurra to Khancoban is winding and steep in many parts as it drops down to pondage dams and then climbs out again.

The main problem with the Alpine Way is from Tom Groggin to Thredbo where there are numerous hairpins some of which are not very wide. The gradient is quite steep and my Disco towing a 1tonne camper trailer got to over 100C on a 18C day. AFAIR the advisory sign about caravans is just after the Tom Groggin turnoff.

If nothing else you will really piss off lots of drivers , as passing opportunities are few.

There is a really nice caravan camping area on the Swampy Plains River just before Tom Groggin near the bridge and there are always lots of caravans there in holiday times, and I would recommend to camp there rather than at Tom Groggin. The road from Khancoben to Swampy plains is steep and winding but nothing like from Tom Groggin to Thredbo.

Remember to get your Alpine Parks pass at Khancoben as the rangers do check.

Regards Philip A
AnswerID: 595904

Reply By: Member - Andrew & Jen - Thursday, Feb 04, 2016 at 17:25

Thursday, Feb 04, 2016 at 17:25
Grant
This topic has been the subject of quite a few threads.
It may be useful to do a search as there are divergent opinions.
I for one would advise against it, not only for the steep and winding conditions from Dead Horse Gap down to Tom Groggin but also because of the narrow sections further towards Khancoban where either you or another van/truck coming in the opposite direction would need to back up.
Trucks that use this road often use a pilot vehicle - for a reason!
Cheers
Andrew
AnswerID: 595911

Reply By: Member - Odog - Thursday, Feb 04, 2016 at 18:01

Thursday, Feb 04, 2016 at 18:01
Hi Grant, I agree with all of the above, Cabramurra to
Khancoban is very tight, in places.. Khancoban to Geehi is worse, towed our cub supamatic through there over Christmas, been through there quite a few times, but get surprised every time how narrow it is.. On a few occasions, thought we were going to loose our awning off the side of the prado, hugging the walls through the cut outs in the road, they seem to slope in at the top.. It is very narrow! Not saying don't do it, but be aware.. Also lots of motor cycles blast through there, so be on the look out.. Twelve months ago we camped at Tom Groggin, on the way home, we followed quite a large van, we pulled into the rest area at leather barrel creek, I asked the guy about towing vans through there, and said he was advised not to, but you aren't band from doing it... Good luck with which ever you decide.. Great area up there.. Geehi would be the nicer spot, as has already been said.. Cheers Odog
Some people want it to happen, some people wish it could happen, others make it happen!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 595912

Reply By: Member - Warrie (NSW) - Thursday, Feb 04, 2016 at 18:56

Thursday, Feb 04, 2016 at 18:56
Hi Grant, have towed a Jayco Swan along whole Alpine Way from the Khancoban end. Have driven sections of it yearly in winter and summer and there is not much traffic to worry about. Others will say maybe I was lucky. No vans are banned so take it easy, watch out for cars stuck behind etc etc. Use commonsense and don't let the naysayers in our nappy society put you off..... W
Warrie

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 595914

Reply By: GarryR - Thursday, Feb 04, 2016 at 19:34

Thursday, Feb 04, 2016 at 19:34
I just returned last weekend from driving from Kankoban via Cabramurra to Jindabyne with a trailer. Yes it is tight and windy but with caution not a problem.The following day we drove to Tallangatta vian Thredbo and Tom Groggin with the trailer with no problems, but caution must be taken. I was a break down vechile for our motorbike that consisted of 29 Harley Davidsons. I did have 2 dead bikes on the trailer with a towing load of 1tonne, and my brakes knew about by the time we got to the bottom of the mountain. This is our 4 day run through the mountians, but I do not regret towing. Take your time, give the brakes a spell regulary and you will enjoy the scenery. It is not a race, and if some catches you from the rear, be courteous and pull over and let them past at the first corner passing stop. We actually travelled 2000k's from Warragul and return on our yearly 4 day run, and have done this for the last 14years.
location - Warragul -Victoria
life is too short, so out and about enjoy

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 595920

Reply By: Grant L - Thursday, Feb 04, 2016 at 21:26

Thursday, Feb 04, 2016 at 21:26
Thanks everybody for your input it is appreciated, haven't been down that way for over 40yrs and have forgotten what its like, I do remember a bus load went over the side in the late 1960s just down from Dead Horse Gap, when it was gravel and ever since the warning has been placed on it.
I think I will go in through Mt Selwyn and just take my time. Won't take the van up to Thredbo will leave it down at Tom Groggin or Geehi then leave viaKhancoban and Corryong.

Regards

Grant
AnswerID: 595922

Sponsored Links