In a conundrum.which way to go>>>>

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 14, 2016 at 09:56
ThreadID: 131604 Views:2792 Replies:12 FollowUps:22
This Thread has been Archived
Hi leaving in March/April from Adelaide.Return end of October.Like to do WA especially Kimberelys,,Qld only far up as Daintree.Not sure which direction to go and best weather .Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: vk1dx - Sunday, Feb 14, 2016 at 10:00

Sunday, Feb 14, 2016 at 10:00
For how long Steven? Would you be towing? eg Gunshot yes/no.

Phil
AnswerID: 596218

Follow Up By: Stephen F2 - Sunday, Feb 14, 2016 at 10:03

Sunday, Feb 14, 2016 at 10:03
Yeh towing my wife and son around na just the Hilux...thanks
FollowupID: 865070

Follow Up By: Roachie Silverado - Sunday, Feb 14, 2016 at 10:12

Sunday, Feb 14, 2016 at 10:12
Phil,
Stephen did say he was leaving April/May and returning October.....so that would be around 5 months if I'm not mistaken....
Secondly, he also said that he only wanted to go as far north as Daintree.....so in answer to your 3rd question: No, he won't be going through Gunshot Creek.
As to the original question...I don't reckon it would make a heap of difference one way or the other. Either way you still have a lot of klicks to do, but also a reasonable amount of time in which to do them.
You may find (for example) that you go to the Daintree first and whilst there get talking to others who are on their way south from Cape York.....and then decide to do that extra trip seeing as how you're already in the neighbourhood (so to speak). The same could potentially happen if you go to WA first.
I've almost always changed my plans at some stage when I've done any long trips (and 6 weeks is the longest I've been able to do at one go, unfortunately). So it pays to be flexible and keep an open mind. After all, that's the beauty of camping, as opposed to staying in motels etc where you need to book ahead and are then tied to a fixed itinerary pretty much.
The main thing is: JUST GO!!! hahaha
Roachie
FollowupID: 865071

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Sunday, Feb 14, 2016 at 10:18

Sunday, Feb 14, 2016 at 10:18
Okay mate. It's Valentines Day.

Just read your post Roachie. Looks like we posted at the same time. I am sure that Stephen can work it out. Catchya

I could drive to the Kimberley, and across to the east coast via Normanton and home in two weeks but I wouldn't see anything.

In 2010 we took the Ghan from Adelaide to Darwin with the car, across to the Kimberley via the bitumen, had a weeks cruise up the coas and back from Broome, Then we hit the GRR stopping at about six places. Off to the Bungles for a couple of days. Then back to darwin, put the car back on the Ghan and took it to Adelaide. Got off the train and drove home to Canberra in one go. All up six weeks and we will have to go back.

Six weeks and we didn't even get near the Gulf or the east coast. Got several months up your sleeve!!

Phil
FollowupID: 865072

Reply By: wendys - Sunday, Feb 14, 2016 at 12:09

Sunday, Feb 14, 2016 at 12:09
I would definitely be looking to explore the Pilbara and Kimberley regions in April/June - before the real crowds reach the area in the middle of the year. Then go across the top - unfortunately, that area will be busy in the mid year school holiday period and you may need to phone ahead a few weeks to get in to accommodation. Then on to the Gulf Country, Tablelands, coast to Daintree in August/Sept.
If you do it the other way round, you will be in northern WA when it is hot, dry, dusty and much less pleasant. Northern Qld is not so much affected by these conditions.
Suggest cross Nullarbor, go to Kalgoorlie. From there you can either go to the coast via Leonora, Sandstone, Mt Magnet, Geraldton and then north uip the coast. Or if you want to focus on the north, go up the inland highway to Newman and thence into the Pilbara.
AnswerID: 596226

Follow Up By: Stephen F2 - Sunday, Feb 14, 2016 at 13:41

Sunday, Feb 14, 2016 at 13:41
Thanks Wendys sounds good WA first.What is earliest Gibb River Road open.I know its subject to conditions.I be camping most the time..
FollowupID: 865087

Follow Up By: wendys - Sunday, Feb 14, 2016 at 17:13

Sunday, Feb 14, 2016 at 17:13
As you say, depends on the Wet season - length, how "big", ending time. The Gibb is so popular these days that the Shire/s try to get it graded and open as early as possible. I've been on it in a May when the Pentecost crossing was almost totally dry. On our last trip, all the dirt roads in Kimberley region were suddenly closed in late June/early July after an intense low pressure system came in from NW and dumped heaps of rain over nearly two weeks!!
So it can be unpredictable. But by the time you get up there, should be graded and open.
FollowupID: 865095

Follow Up By: Stephen F2 - Sunday, Feb 14, 2016 at 17:40

Sunday, Feb 14, 2016 at 17:40
I was u0 there in 97 maybe a dozen cars up at Mitchell Falls and I loved Jacks Waterhole but heard it closed now.He was worried BP would buy him out and bitumise part off GRR..I heard land given back to Aboriginals..Wondering what fuel available now.I stopped at some Homestead ..can not remember. But can you buy fuel at Kalumburu thanks
FollowupID: 865098

Follow Up By: Member - brucek - Sunday, Feb 14, 2016 at 18:11

Sunday, Feb 14, 2016 at 18:11
Kalumburu is OK for fuel.
FollowupID: 865107

Follow Up By: wendys - Sunday, Feb 14, 2016 at 20:33

Sunday, Feb 14, 2016 at 20:33
Jacks Waterhole has been closed for some time now - kind of washed away. It is part of the aboriginal owned Home Valley Station. There is very good camping at Home Valley - I recommend the "bush" camp out at the Pentecost; has showers and toilets and brilliant views; more polished camping at the homestead area, with pool. Great place. Not as much to do as at ElQ, but worth doing both.
Mitchell Falls now a large and very well used N Parks campground. Road in there can be pretty rough though.
Some of the steeper gradients on the GRR have been sealed. Also the stretch from the highway to ElQ. entrance.
Can get fuel at Drysdale River HS on Kalumburu road, and at Kalumburu. When we were at McGowans Island, out of Kalumburu, in 2007, they were selling fuel there considerably cheaper than in Kalumburu, but I don't know if that is still happening. A lot of things up that way change from year to year!
FollowupID: 865116

Follow Up By: Top End Az - Monday, Feb 15, 2016 at 19:23

Monday, Feb 15, 2016 at 19:23
Fuel was $4 a litre in Kalumburu, and about $2.30 at Drysdale back in 2013. Worth every cent when you see the road the tankers have to drive over to get it there
FollowupID: 865157

Reply By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Sunday, Feb 14, 2016 at 12:16

Sunday, Feb 14, 2016 at 12:16
'
What's the towing capacity of a "Conundrum"?
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 596227

Follow Up By: Stu & "Bob" - Sunday, Feb 14, 2016 at 13:29

Sunday, Feb 14, 2016 at 13:29
Hmm, question to ponder.......let me see....that would be approximately 75% of the load being towed, multiplied by the date last Tuesday, divided by 10% of everybody's opinion. With the addition of some hope and good luck, and a bit of load sense, all will be good.

FollowupID: 865085

Follow Up By: Stephen F2 - Sunday, Feb 14, 2016 at 13:50

Sunday, Feb 14, 2016 at 13:50
My towing capacity rellies on my wife in tow and not killing me when we in middle of no where.True story my wife Thai and 1st time she came to visit me we went camping in the way to Toowoomba.Camped otherside of Broken Hill.At night in my cheap plastic tent heard whistling sounds.Thought it was the wind turned out to be Rooshooters pinged a few bullets past our tent.Not sure if deliberate or not.My Thai lady still married me later and still likes camping but be test when on long trip with 5 year old son ...
FollowupID: 865088

Reply By: TLC 001 - Sunday, Feb 14, 2016 at 14:31

Sunday, Feb 14, 2016 at 14:31
Hi Stephen,
If you drive anti clockwise you will save a little fuel, :-), but I would do the Kimberley first and beat the school holiday travellers.

regards
Marcus

AnswerID: 596233

Reply By: Injected - Sunday, Feb 14, 2016 at 15:13

Sunday, Feb 14, 2016 at 15:13
Wedid four months last year. Left Mackay on June 19th and went up to Townsville, savannah way, Gulf, Katherine, Kimberley, around to Perth. Then to Esperance across nullabor to Streaky bay and Port Lincoln, Adelaide, Robe , Albury, Brisbane, Mackay home 20th September.
We wish we went the opposite direction by leaving Mackay in march to get the warmer weather down south.
Regards
AnswerID: 596234

Follow Up By: Stephen F2 - Sunday, Feb 14, 2016 at 18:32

Sunday, Feb 14, 2016 at 18:32
Hi whats Savannah way like much to do and see..thanks
FollowupID: 865112

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Sunday, Feb 14, 2016 at 15:46

Sunday, Feb 14, 2016 at 15:46
Head to Perth first, then by the time you get to the Kimberley, the weather up there will be good, and most of the roads will be opening. Heaps to see up there, as well as around the Darwin area.

Then if you're running out of time, you can come straight down the Stuart H'way, and home.

Think you'll find there's so much over in the lower Cape too, that you'll need an extra trip over there too. Once you get the family to Cairns they mightn't want to go back to Adelaide. :-)

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 596236

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Sunday, Feb 14, 2016 at 17:16

Sunday, Feb 14, 2016 at 17:16
'
Well, your'e right Bob, I only got as far as the Sunshine Coast and never went back to Adelaide. ;-)
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 865096

Follow Up By: Stephen F2 - Sunday, Feb 14, 2016 at 17:50

Sunday, Feb 14, 2016 at 17:50
I liked Townsville and my wife Toowoomba. She hasn't been past there. Ilived in Buderim Sunshine Coast with previous wife .Best beaches in the world and I have seen a few in my time.But not much work and it started to get very busy.Have you done Lawn Hill ..? Cheers p.s.I only stayed in Cairns for a day maybe I missed something...
FollowupID: 865101

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Sunday, Feb 14, 2016 at 18:01

Sunday, Feb 14, 2016 at 18:01
Wife likes Toowoomba, Steve? Better take her back in the winter..........!!!

Lived within 100kms of Lawn Hill for 2 years, but always too busy to go there. We were living on the Gregory River, so almost as good as LH?

Probably depends where you live in Cairns, Steve. Daughter & SIL are up on a hill, on quiet street, so makes a big difference.

Bob

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 865105

Follow Up By: Stephen F2 - Sunday, Feb 14, 2016 at 22:49

Sunday, Feb 14, 2016 at 22:49
Hey Bob Y I was in Toow...in 2007 my mates place had no skirting boards.It was coldest Winter in 80 years and I had minimal clothes and no heating...I would go crazy in Toow... too many intersections worse than uncoordinated Adelaide traffic lights..
Wow what did you do at Gregory sounds great.Hope to see it on my travels...cheers
FollowupID: 865131

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Monday, Feb 15, 2016 at 20:45

Monday, Feb 15, 2016 at 20:45
Stephen,

We were working on Planet & Gregory Downs. Lived about 11kms from Gregory Pub.

Bob

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 865165

Reply By: Member - brucek - Sunday, Feb 14, 2016 at 15:50

Sunday, Feb 14, 2016 at 15:50
We are doing a similar trip and the early stages also at the same time.
See "Around Oz 2016" in Menu/Members/ Trips& Gatherings/Current.

If you don't mind traveling with a group then join us for at least the Perth to Broome stage; 19 days and getting you there by May 12th in time to do the Kimberley at its best as others have said, & before the big rush. We have about 20 people and 11 vehicles.

We will be at Hallett "Wildongoleechie Hotel" (and camp ground next door) on Friday night April 15th and making a quick trip to Balladonia 18th. Then five days of unstructured time so people can visit the goldfields or WA South West or Perth. Then we meet at Gingin pm 25th ready for an early start on the 26th April.

Our plan for Broome to Katherine is 21 days but I suggest that even though our route might help you, that much more time can be spent at places. We have chosen this route to minimize the water crossing depth. Add extra places of course. Like wise for the Savannah Way; Mataranka to Mareeba section.

The following is a summary of our trip.
1. Sydney, Hay, Hallett, Ceduna, Eucla, Balladonia, 5days free
2.Gingin, Geraldton (2nights) via Pinnacles, Kalbarri (2n) via Hutt Riv, Denham (2n), Exmouth (3n), Tom Price (3n),
Millstream NP via Wittenoom, Roebourne Via Mining Road,Dampier & Cossack, Pardoo Stn via Pt Hedland, Broome (2n).
3. Cape Leveque (2n), Birdwood Downs Stn, Windjana Gorge, Fitzroy Crossing (2n), Purnululu (2n), Wolfe Creek Crater, Wyndham, Drysdale River Stn, Kalumburu (or Mitchell Falls) or Mornington, Drysdale, Manning Gorge, Kununurra (3n), Victoria River RH, Katherine (2n).
4. Roper Bar via Mataranka, Borroloola, Hells Gate, Adelle's Grove (2n), Normanton, Croydon, Undara, Mareeba, 5 days free.
5. Townsville, Emerald, St George, Coonamble, Sydney.

If you want to know more I can sent you the email pack which includes basic info, map and updates and accommodation arrangements.

Just have fun.

AnswerID: 596237

Reply By: Australian Landscape Jewellery - Sunday, Feb 14, 2016 at 18:25

Sunday, Feb 14, 2016 at 18:25
I agree with the Wendy's post and reasoning re time to travel. One thing to think about. Do you want to do the Kimberly circuit and go across the bitumen to Broome then return along the GRR or do you want to do just one crossing over the north west, in which case you go across the Great Australian Bight/Nullarbor, up the coast or up north from Kalgoorlie. I'd definitely take a plane from Derby to the Horizontal waterfalls if you can manage it. I'd advise going across the Bight, if you haven't done it before. I'd only go north up the coast if you want to take in Perth. The Pilbara is a must.
Mike
AnswerID: 596245

Follow Up By: Stephen F2 - Sunday, Feb 14, 2016 at 18:30

Sunday, Feb 14, 2016 at 18:30
After Kimberelys will head to Darwin ..Love to do boat trip to Horizontal Falls but think its very expensive .Haven't been to Derby before so how much cost the flight thanks
FollowupID: 865111

Reply By: Australian Landscape Jewellery - Sunday, Feb 14, 2016 at 19:34

Sunday, Feb 14, 2016 at 19:34
Not sure of cost. We did it a few years ago and thought it was worth every cent, but certainly, it costs. The views on the flight are excellent and really, the only way to take that country in. If you Google you will find the current cost of the flight. If you stay overnight, you get a better look at the falls as they can pick the optimum time. If you fly in and out, you just have to take what's running. Can be worth picking your time to coincide with high tide period if you decide to spend the $ on the flight. You might as well get as much bang for your buck as you can.
Mike
AnswerID: 596250

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Sunday, Feb 14, 2016 at 19:55

Sunday, Feb 14, 2016 at 19:55
The Kimberly as soon as you can get there.
Go via the Gary Junction Road and use the Pilbara as the "buffer" for the opening of the GRR.

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 Motorhome.
AnswerID: 596253

Follow Up By: Stephen F2 - Sunday, Feb 14, 2016 at 20:46

Sunday, Feb 14, 2016 at 20:46
Hi P n M Funny never heard of that track.Have done Tanami track and lived out at Balgo for awhile and drove out to the community in Great Sandy Desert can not remember name, pretty wild country..I thought Balgo was remote.
So is it difficult route and worth doing I have wife and 5 year old son..thanks
FollowupID: 865119

Follow Up By: Peter_n_Margaret - Sunday, Feb 14, 2016 at 23:24

Sunday, Feb 14, 2016 at 23:24
Stephen, the Gary Junction Road is an easier drive than the Tanami, there is much more fuel available via the communities along the way, but generally quite a bit less traffic. It is a 2WD road, not a track. More scenic too, I reckon.
I would recommend it.
Motherhen travelled it a few years ago in their caravan. Have a look at her blog.
We drove it in 2005 and again in 2008, but towing a boat.
Couple of slide shows here.....

http://s246.photobucket.com/user/Peter_n_Margaret/slideshow/05%201%20Gary%20Junction%20Road

http://s246.photobucket.com/user/Peter_n_Margaret/slideshow/08%202%20Gary%20Junction%20Road

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 Motorhome
FollowupID: 865133

Reply By: wendys - Sunday, Feb 14, 2016 at 20:40

Sunday, Feb 14, 2016 at 20:40
You can also do a flight to the Horizontal Falls from Broome - flies over the Dampier Peninsula too. Yes - costly, but everyone I have known who has done it says is worth the money. (I do not "do" little planes!)
You will find that everything in the Kimberley is costly! They must make their money in a fairly short window of time each year, and infrastructure is very dear up there. There is virtually no "free" camping allowed any more along the GRR - too many previous travellers did the wrong thing re rubbish, polluting waterways etc. So you will need to pay the fees at the campgrounds - and some of these are very pleasant.
AnswerID: 596257

Follow Up By: Stephen F2 - Sunday, Feb 14, 2016 at 20:53

Sunday, Feb 14, 2016 at 20:53
Yes the idiots spoil it .Even close to home on Murray we found nice camping spot but idiots left beer bottles rubbish nappies .And only 5 minutes away rubbish bins ..
I been lucky every 3 weeks flew to work to remote areas Simpson Desert. Inaminka Flinders Ranges .I know bit different than the Kimberelys.So it has changed but can you get away from camping next to someone
I heard at Mitchell Falls you can move away from people...cheers
FollowupID: 865121

Reply By: wendys - Monday, Feb 15, 2016 at 15:47

Monday, Feb 15, 2016 at 15:47
The Mitchell Falls camp ground is a very large one - but a fair few people go in there, too. Last time, we set up well away from others - but there is always that later comer, who must set up close!!!! With a noisy generator.
A lot of people camp at the beautiful King Edward River - great place and can swim there - and just go into the Plateau for the day. But, in my view it makes for a very pressured day and because the road is usually pretty poor, hurrying can bring drivers to grief. While we were last there a day tripper took a corner (they are not signed) too fast, bounced off a tree and an oncoming Ranger's vehicle - did much damage and was up for a very costly retrieval.
AnswerID: 596271

Follow Up By: Stephen F2 - Monday, Feb 15, 2016 at 16:17

Monday, Feb 15, 2016 at 16:17
Wendy when I went up there a Rangerover wss doing at least 100kmh on narrow red dirt part of track .I had the redhen petrol 60 series Landcruiser.So I thought I would just go to far right of track boy did that slow him down but he didn't even bat an eyelid ahhhh!!! Went on his merry way fast as...Generators what the ...When I went up there I just had bare essentials .Roughing it is part of the experience...hope I not upset anyone on OE ha ha ha
FollowupID: 865153

Sponsored Links