Four dead in 4WD smash

Submitted: Wednesday, May 26, 2004 at 14:29
ThreadID: 13175 Views:1989 Replies:3 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
With Michelle and Davids permission to post this.

On the 20th January 2004, four members of the Allen family from Canberra (mum, dad and 2 sisters, aged 9 and 14) were killed when their 4wd rolled on the Hume Highway at Tarcutta. Two members of the family, Leah 13 and Ruth 7, survived the crash. Local Tarcutta Police Officer, Senior Constable Mark Hawthorne, who was first on the scene, is now running a fund raising raffle with all proceeds going to the surviving children who are now living in Melbourne with their Uncle. Your help is now sought in supporting this very worth while appeal. Many of you have probably seen Senior Constable Hawthorne's appeal in the Daily Telegraph. Senior Constable Hawthorne has been on the local news in Wagga and will be on Prime news again this Friday 28th with this appeal. Senior Constable Hawthorne will also be in the Telegraph again next week where they focus on upgrading the Hume Highway trying to avoid accidents like this happening again.

Raffle details: Drawn 10th August 2004. Tickets $1 each or $10 a book. Tickets will be drawn by Darrly Macguire, our local MP.

First prize is an Omega 34lt stainless steel microwave, 1 Breville Health Grill and a Samsung DVD player.

Other prizes include:
:Signed football jumpers (Canberra, Melbourne, Easts, Parramatta, St George, ACT Brumbies/Joe Roff jersy, Souths,)
:Signed Peter Brock Shirt
:Scale model racing car
:Signed Waratah and Cronulla Balls
:Weekend for two/dinner and breakfast at the Wagga Country Comfort
:Signed Sydney Swans Adam Schneider picture :Socceroos jersey
:Signed Glasgow Celtic ball
:Penrith panthers team world club challenge jacket

Choice of other prizes
:first ticket drawn = first prize
:second ticket = first choice of one runner up prize
:third ticket = second choice of runner up prize and so on

Tickets can be purchased directly from Tarcutta Police Station or by ringing Senior Consatble Hawthorne direct on 0408660872 or email enquiries to hawt2mar@police.nsw.gov.au
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Baz (NSW) - Wednesday, May 26, 2004 at 15:00

Wednesday, May 26, 2004 at 15:00
I've emailed for tickets, thanks Karen & Geoff and thanked con Hawthorne

Baz.
AnswerID: 60238

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff & Karen - Wednesday, May 26, 2004 at 15:10

Wednesday, May 26, 2004 at 15:10
Thanks Baz, greatly appreciated
karen
FollowupID: 321811

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff & Karen - Wednesday, May 26, 2004 at 15:23

Wednesday, May 26, 2004 at 15:23
Baz can you please check your members messages
Thanks
Karen
FollowupID: 321813

Reply By: Member - Geoff & Karen - Wednesday, May 26, 2004 at 16:23

Wednesday, May 26, 2004 at 16:23
We have had a couple of inquiries about buying tickets and unfortunately there is no bank account details for the girls, but you can send a cheque or money order to:

Senior Constable Mark Hawthorne
C/- Police Station
Centenary Ave
TARCUTTA NSW 2652
AnswerID: 60248

Follow Up By: Baz (NSW) - Wednesday, May 26, 2004 at 17:27

Wednesday, May 26, 2004 at 17:27
Karen just checked mem msg nothing came through.
FollowupID: 321821

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff & Karen - Wednesday, May 26, 2004 at 17:49

Wednesday, May 26, 2004 at 17:49
Hi Baz
When we posted the original post and put marks email, we had the
nsw. gov the wrong way around. Since then I have rang David and he has fixed it for me. So the right email for Mark is

hawt2mar@police.nsw.gov.au

so you might need to email him again for the tickets.
That was my mistake, sorry
Karen
FollowupID: 321824

Follow Up By: Baz (NSW) - Wednesday, May 26, 2004 at 18:30

Wednesday, May 26, 2004 at 18:30
Ok thanks, i wondered why it kept coming back as failed.
FollowupID: 321829

Reply By: Member - Bob - Thursday, May 27, 2004 at 09:42

Thursday, May 27, 2004 at 09:42
This case had a big impact in Canberra where the family where well known. The mother was an academic lawyer, and the father was a commercial lawyer and a principal in one of the main law firms in town.
While I commend the actions of those who feel sympathetic toward the children, I believe they should be adequately catered for financially by the parents' insurance. It would be inconceivable to think that people of such wealth hadn't catered adequately for such an eventuality.
Sorry to appear churlish, but thems the facts.
AnswerID: 60387

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff & Karen - Thursday, May 27, 2004 at 18:48

Thursday, May 27, 2004 at 18:48
Bob, I agree with what you have said, but Senior Consatble Hawthorne was first on the scene and he feels with in himself to help cope with what he saw and how he feels, he needs to do something more than he has already done for those two girls who survived.
It, like any sane human being, has affected SC Hawthorne emotionally and physically after what he saw. And I know some of you will say, "well thats his job and he needs to get over it", but this is something he will never get over. SC Hawthorne himself has a little girl who is 10 years old. So Bob, please if you have a spare $10, buy some tickets and help support the appeal for the girls. The offices in Canberra where both parents worked have got some of the tickets to sell in Canberra as well.
Thanks
Karen
FollowupID: 322068

Sponsored Links