Wee Jasper Camping

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 05, 2016 at 21:26
ThreadID: 132038 Views:1760 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
We are planning our next camping trip. We were looking to head down to Jindabyne but have come across Wee Jasper. I have a couple of questions I am hoping someone can help me with
- Has anyone been there in the last 6-12 months
- How busy does it get during school holidays? I like to have some room around me
- The website mentions 5 campgrounds but I can't seem to find the different sites. Are they all in the Wee Jasper Reserves??

If anyone has any additional info on this site, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jason
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Michael H9 - Wednesday, Apr 06, 2016 at 07:14

Wednesday, Apr 06, 2016 at 07:14
Micalong Creek is pretty good. There's a lot of room but it does get reasonably busy. I've only been in summer. There's a toilet and cold shower.
AnswerID: 598253

Follow Up By: Member - Odog - Wednesday, Apr 06, 2016 at 16:48

Wednesday, Apr 06, 2016 at 16:48
Hi Micheal, how's the road getting into there? Camp trailer get in there ok? I see dogs are allowed in there, might organise a trip with the pooch... Thanks.. Odog
Some people want it to happen, some people wish it could happen, others make it happen!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 867449

Follow Up By: Member - Warren H - Wednesday, Apr 06, 2016 at 17:16

Wednesday, Apr 06, 2016 at 17:16
Hi Odog,
No problems with a camper trailer, a dual axle van came in when I was last there. The last section on Wee Jasper Rd after you cross the Mountain Creek bridge is quite windy with mirrors on the corners in some places, so just a bit of care needed.
NT Pajero
2007 Goldstream Crown

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 867450

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Wednesday, Apr 06, 2016 at 10:34

Wednesday, Apr 06, 2016 at 10:34
Hi Jason,
I've just found this that will be very helpful for you - Wee Jasper Reserves Camping Mud Map. I will put this into our Places section now also and check to see that each of the campsites are listed and update accordingly.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 598264

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Wednesday, Apr 06, 2016 at 10:49

Wednesday, Apr 06, 2016 at 10:49
If you're not already familiar with how Places work - open the Description panel of Wee Jasper in Places and then open the Nearby Places panel. You will find links to all the nearby camps in the reserve - seems they are there but I am yet to check if any need updating but am onto it.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 867428

Reply By: Member - Warren H - Wednesday, Apr 06, 2016 at 17:03

Wednesday, Apr 06, 2016 at 17:03
Hi Jason,
Yes they are all in the reserves. Billy Grace has flushing toilets, wash basins and hot showers (gold coin donation). I've only camped at Billy Grace Reserve first time more than 10 years ago with Scouts and the last time in July last year for a shake down trip in the new van. Quite cold over night at that time of year. Huge amounts of room but wall to wall at Easter and Xmas we were told by the caretaker. There is a large area the size of a cricket oval for school groups away from the river and other camp sites. There are fireplaces (truck and tractor rims) some firewood on site by way of large logs that you need to saw or chop yourself, to be safe probably best to bring your own. The Wee Jasper shop is now closed but as per the WeeJasper Reserves website, basics are available at the caretaker's residence. Organised tours are available at Carey's Caves other caves can be accessed independently but you probably need some basic climbing gear e.g. a climbing tape to hold onto, as some the entrances are down steepish slopes over the limestone and the surface is like greased glass when wet, others you need to abseil into, be prepared to get filthy. (Sorry I have forgotten the details of the various caves which I only knew briefly when the kids were in scouts.)
The road in is fully sealed if coming from the Yass end, if going through Canberra a few km of dirt until you link up with the sealed section of Mountain Creek. Rd. There are two ways to link up via Canberra - the northern route via Uriarra Rd/Crossing and Fairlight Rd (turn-off at Uriarra Crossing) this has I think the least amount of dirt (<10km) the other is to the south where Mountain Creek Rd. meets Uriarra Rd. near Uriarra village with access via Cotter Rd. There are other ways in via Tumut, I've never been that way, all dirt through state forests. Wee Jasper Rd is very windy and fairly narrow and this and Mountain Creek Rd are fairly bumpy bitumen if you are used to major roads and highways. A thoroughly lovely spot.
NT Pajero
2007 Goldstream Crown

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 598272

Reply By: Member - Michael John T (VIC) - Wednesday, Apr 06, 2016 at 21:05

Wednesday, Apr 06, 2016 at 21:05
Hi Jason,

Yes its a great spot to camp. Stayed there a few years ago now at the Swinging Bridge Camp area, almost on the river, just lovely but as always we were out of school hols and were the only ones there. Easy access even with the camper trailer -- if you follow the dirt out through the state forests its a bit twisty and of course you climb, but we had absolutely no trouble, just take it easy and with care. Enjoy your trip.

regards,
Mike.
We retired to travell
It's time to go again...

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 598278

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (13)