NT Arnham land advise.

Submitted: Saturday, Jun 04, 2016 at 09:52
ThreadID: 132639 Views:2624 Replies:5 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Guys, I'm heading up into Nhulumbuy for a week of site seeing and fishing. Any tips and advise, never been before. Will have the boat on the camper.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: AlanTH - Saturday, Jun 04, 2016 at 11:07

Saturday, Jun 04, 2016 at 11:07
Haven't done it personally as I can't afford the price but younger bro just spent a week at the Arnhem Land Barramundi Nature Lodge about 7 hours out of Darwin.
From the pics he sent the trip was very successful fishing wise but he reported it as being exciting,hot and humid.
He flew from Sydney so didn't have his own gear like yourself so your trip will cost less than the grand a day he paid overall.
I must start saving.....
AlanH.
AnswerID: 600946

Follow Up By: micknchrisw - Sunday, Jun 05, 2016 at 19:13

Sunday, Jun 05, 2016 at 19:13
Thanks Alan, not sure where Barra lodge is, but I think anywhere up there is awesome. Been through Kakadu and into Oempeli, Arnham Land. The drive is part of the adventure, you need to do it one day yourself.
Thanks, regards Mick.
FollowupID: 870354

Reply By: Phil P - Saturday, Jun 04, 2016 at 20:11

Saturday, Jun 04, 2016 at 20:11
Hi,
I was there 2-3 weeks ago. Unfortunately copped about 40mm of rain. On the way up we camped at Mainoru (never again, they have the loudest generator). On the way back we drove the entire track. Track was in great condition. Apparently it's not quite the best time for fishing, however there are some nice beaches to look at.
Initially we camped at the Walkabout Lodge campground, good facilities. We had to move into a motel as the rain didn't stop for 2 days.
The motel was The Gove Peninsula Motel.

We obtained the permit at the Northern Lands Office in Katherine (Not open on the weekends) and no cost. You also need a general permit for beach access at Nhulunbuy, available from the Shire of Dhimurru (apply online or call them) - $35 per person for 7 days.

Safe travels.
AnswerID: 600976

Follow Up By: micknchrisw - Sunday, Jun 05, 2016 at 19:26

Sunday, Jun 05, 2016 at 19:26
Hey thanks Phil, done the permit thing on line, just Waiting on the NLC. We've booked a couple of spots to stay. Thanks for the info, looking onward to it.
FollowupID: 870355

Reply By: Life Member-Doug T NSW - Sunday, Jun 05, 2016 at 08:35

Sunday, Jun 05, 2016 at 08:35
You have a boat on the camper.. you mean a toy boat , one that the Crocs can tip over or reach in and grab you for lunch.. it just happened recently near Darwin.
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 600987

Follow Up By: Kumunara (NT) - Sunday, Jun 05, 2016 at 09:01

Sunday, Jun 05, 2016 at 09:01
Good advice from Doug T. Be crocwise. Crocs can be over 5 metres in length. They are huge and fast.
Life's great and it just keeps getting better

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 870340

Follow Up By: micknchrisw - Sunday, Jun 05, 2016 at 19:42

Sunday, Jun 05, 2016 at 19:42
Yeh Doug, always carful on the water up there. This is the 3rd trip with our tinny, but we are fishing the coast this time, so not as populated as the Daly and Finnis in the NT, and the Norman river in the Gulf.
FollowupID: 870357

Follow Up By: Life Member-Doug T NSW - Monday, Jun 06, 2016 at 00:19

Monday, Jun 06, 2016 at 00:19
micknchrisw, Haa yeh I spent a few years in North Qld and at Adelaide River NT, , Now I live down here in the cold near Orange, funny but every time I look at the Dam the mind thinks Crocs.
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 870368

Reply By: Bigfish - Sunday, Jun 05, 2016 at 19:32

Sunday, Jun 05, 2016 at 19:32
This time of the year the South Easterlies blow , making fishing very uncomfortable. You need at least a 4.5 meter high side tinny. Spent 15 years there and know every river and fishing location. Dhalywhuy Bay would be best if wind is blowing. You can put in at Catalinna boat ramp and fish the rocks in a smaller boat. The mangroves around the bay are worth a shot. Be aware that there are big lizards in all the rivers. The bay (put in at the yacht club or further around at the wharf boat ramp) will give you a good time IF the wind is not blowing. Float pilchards, troll lures or bottom bash with squid is best.

Good luck
AnswerID: 601016

Follow Up By: micknchrisw - Sunday, Jun 05, 2016 at 19:46

Sunday, Jun 05, 2016 at 19:46
Thanks for that Bigfish.
FollowupID: 870359

Reply By: Been-Everywhereman - Monday, Jun 06, 2016 at 08:51

Monday, Jun 06, 2016 at 08:51
Hi, You can simply stay in the Walkabout campground and just cruise around town which is what we do for the first couple of days. Go to Dhimurru website click here for the available sites and bookings.
Here you can prebook your campsites which is fantastic because once you pay for a site you are the only group that is allowed in there and the sites are quite a few kms off the road nestled next to beautiful freshwater water holes and creeks. Of course be croc wise but we always find safe spots to swim and bath while we are downing our fluids. Book early is good advice. Memorial, Wonga and Scout Camps are my choices because I don't really like beach camping there because of sand flies, with order of preference being Wonga, Memorial then Scout. Also there is a free camping spot called The Goannas which is awesome.
As stated in another reply you can launch your boat at the Yacht Club which is what we do and then we head out to the Granites fishing. We have quite a bit of luck with GTs out behind the Island.
AnswerID: 601043

Sponsored Links