4WD gear at Aldi

Submitted: Monday, Sep 05, 2016 at 14:48
ThreadID: 133385 Views:9669 Replies:8 FollowUps:20
This Thread has been Archived
I wander through Aldi each week to see what goodies they have on offer. At the risk of upsetting advertisers, but for the interest of readers, I report that I happened to notice this week a huge range of 4WD related items. Included were HID spots and LED bars, awnings, tracks, compressors, tie downs, jacks, shackles, straps, extinguishers, and such like.

Failing that, their party pies are good value!

Bob
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Robin Miller - Monday, Sep 05, 2016 at 15:12

Monday, Sep 05, 2016 at 15:12
Its a bit of a mixture their Bob.

I have got several products in past and made sure I check them fully and be prepared to take them back - so far its been about 50/50.

Checked out roof bag yesterday - and it was to filmsy for my likeing.

I see they sometimes they have portalou and chemicals - but I do wonder if they would take that back !
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 604128

Follow Up By: OBJ - Monday, Sep 05, 2016 at 15:31

Monday, Sep 05, 2016 at 15:31
I have bought stuff from them (incl 4WD bits and pieces) and have never had any problems with returns. Just keep the receipt. Mind you, stuff that I need to make sure will work (like Maxtracks etc) I tend to fork out to make sure I have the proper stuff that can take a bit of abuse.
FollowupID: 873827

Follow Up By: TomH - Tuesday, Sep 06, 2016 at 09:43

Tuesday, Sep 06, 2016 at 09:43
Just be aware that you can only return things for first 60 days.

After that its a manufacturers warranty

https://www.aldi.com.au/en/about-aldi/returns-policy/
FollowupID: 873843

Follow Up By: Shaker - Wednesday, Sep 07, 2016 at 08:34

Wednesday, Sep 07, 2016 at 08:34
60 days is pretty good!
FollowupID: 873887

Follow Up By: Echucan Bob - Sunday, Sep 11, 2016 at 23:20

Sunday, Sep 11, 2016 at 23:20
Robin, I snuck out of work today and had another look. They had the portable dunnies, and a pop up tent to go around it. I swear you could take a dump in the middle of town without attracting any attention whatsoever. Not my style though. Shovel and a long walk are the way to go (perhaps not in town however).

Also today were fridges ($499) and folding solar panels (120W for $250). I bought some telescopic aluminium annex poles ($11) and a tarp. They had a product identical to the Maxtrax for $129 - hard to see something like that with no moving parts failing. Recently I've bought the high pressure washer ($299), work boots, socks, a marine fire kit, 20V drill and impact driver kit, 20V rattle gun, tree protector and awning. The awning was $169. Pretty much the same item at ARB was $349.

I've also bought the wireless headphones, the sound bar and woofer kit, multi socket spanner set, and the party pies.

The folding camp chairs were $29 but came with a choice of garish Ford or Holden logos. I'd rather sit on the ground, thanks very much. Or cut a hole in the seat and use it as a portaloo!

I've just ordered the Ducks Guts seat covers through ARB for the Lexus to protect the ageing leather. I have previously had the cheap nylon 'canvas' covers which I though were damn good for the price. They've lasted seven years in the Disco and still look good despite several nasty incidents (perhaps thats just compared with the rest of the vehicle).

As with all merchandise, there is no perfect solution for those of us with limited resources. Aldi provides more choices, and some of the stuff they offer is very good for the price.

Bob

FollowupID: 874051

Follow Up By: garrycol - Monday, Sep 12, 2016 at 00:22

Monday, Sep 12, 2016 at 00:22
How do you make the poles on the awning stay up - the adjusters do not hold so I have two jubilee clips that I put around the bottom part of the pole to stop the top bit sliding down.

Typical Aldi stuff - there is always something that doesn't work quite right.
FollowupID: 874052

Reply By: Member - ACD 1 - Monday, Sep 05, 2016 at 16:29

Monday, Sep 05, 2016 at 16:29
We have been spared from the Aldi phenomenon in WA for quite some time LOL. We experienced it on the east coast when we did our Round Oz (Drought Breaking Tour) Trip in 2014. Not really my cup of tea - I likened it to WA Salvage but with a grocery twist.

Any way, I was having a look at there website today because it is starting to take of here and there Saturday 10th "Special Buys" all seem to have a camping and 4WD focus.

2000 watt inverter genset
50lt fridge (similar in style to a WAECO)

Not that I need anything they've got on offer, it would be afoot start for someone just getting into camping etc.

Cheers

Anthony
AnswerID: 604131

Follow Up By: AlanTH - Tuesday, Sep 06, 2016 at 09:19

Tuesday, Sep 06, 2016 at 09:19
"WA Salvage".... you're going back a bit there Anthony. I don't need any thing else to clutter up the vehicle but if I did I'd be making sure as another poster said, that what I bought would do the job when necessary.
I've actually got a bag full of Mean Green stuff (unwanted prize) I intend selling so I don't too many people in WA finding out about stuff which is cheaper.....
AlanH.
FollowupID: 873841

Follow Up By: Member - ACD 1 - Tuesday, Sep 06, 2016 at 09:49

Tuesday, Sep 06, 2016 at 09:49
Yes it was a while ago wasn't it!

Perhaps I should have said "Red Dot, Crazy Clarkes, Thingz or the Two Dollar Shop.

I can also remember when Woolworths tried to emulate the Aldi "Special Buys". WA stores even got the horribly kitsch lime green and white puffy ski suits. Fantastic for our half hour snow season in the Porongurup"s.

Cheers a

Anthony
FollowupID: 873844

Follow Up By: Happy Frank - Tuesday, Sep 06, 2016 at 20:56

Tuesday, Sep 06, 2016 at 20:56
ALDI has just opened at Wattle Grove and is spreading, WA is no longer spared.
FollowupID: 873861

Reply By: Malcom M - Tuesday, Sep 06, 2016 at 06:48

Tuesday, Sep 06, 2016 at 06:48
Like everything, you need to do your research.
Sometimes it a bargain such as a hi-lift with the plastic base for $99 (works very well)
or just the base for some $40 - gotta be joking.

A lot of their stuff is quite expensive compared to online shops but what we have bought we are happy with and have had no returns yet.
AnswerID: 604139

Reply By: The Bantam - Tuesday, Sep 06, 2016 at 09:31

Tuesday, Sep 06, 2016 at 09:31
Had a look at this batch ..... nothing there I would consider a bargin.
AnswerID: 604143

Reply By: GREG T11 - Tuesday, Sep 06, 2016 at 19:59

Tuesday, Sep 06, 2016 at 19:59
Funnily enough I was contemplating buying their fridge which is in tomorrows list. Not quite sure about it yet but apparently made similar (copy) to primus using the same compressor as some other brands. Quotes 3.5 amp hour consumption which I imagine is whilst in freezer mode, and a 2 year warranty.

At this point in time cannot quite justify outlaying $1100 odd for an engel especially if we find 40ltr to small. My thinking is if it works ok and lasts a while it would be useful even as a second fridge later on. My other theory is if someone knocks it off at a camp the loss won't be as heavy so to speak.

I do have about 200 ah of batteries and solar and no fancy do dads, just lights and water pump in the trailer.
AnswerID: 604162

Follow Up By: Member - ACD 1 - Tuesday, Sep 06, 2016 at 21:52

Tuesday, Sep 06, 2016 at 21:52
Greg

I have never heard of the Stirling brand, but I can tell you it runs the same SECOP Compressor as my $2500 National Luna (which have a pretty good reputation).

God! I starting to advertise for them LOL

Cheers

Anthony
FollowupID: 873864

Follow Up By: gbc - Wednesday, Sep 07, 2016 at 06:32

Wednesday, Sep 07, 2016 at 06:32
Kogan online is doing evakools cheaper than Aldi at the moment. I just had some spam mail. They are imports, but are claiming the danfos compressor still. Might be worth a squizz if you're in the market.
FollowupID: 873877

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Wednesday, Sep 07, 2016 at 09:55

Wednesday, Sep 07, 2016 at 09:55
there are quite a few companies importing second string brand fridges ....... Jaycar, Techniice and most of the 4wd direct importers.

check those before you buy.

cheers
FollowupID: 873891

Follow Up By: cruza25 - Wednesday, Sep 07, 2016 at 16:43

Wednesday, Sep 07, 2016 at 16:43
Waeco cf40 is $599 at anaconda with 3year warranty and cover

A better buy maybe ??
FollowupID: 873910

Follow Up By: GREG T11 - Wednesday, Sep 07, 2016 at 18:58

Wednesday, Sep 07, 2016 at 18:58
Thank you all, will research a bit more.

$599 for the WEACO sounds good and they do have a more extensive repair network

My brother has a 60 ltr Trailblazer while being old is in perfect nick but at this point in time is overkill ( big and heavy as well ) for our needs and I don't have a canopy to keep it secure.
Hoping he still has it couple of years when we are able to get away for a month at a time..

Cheers
FollowupID: 873917

Reply By: Salty Dog - Thursday, Sep 08, 2016 at 07:02

Thursday, Sep 08, 2016 at 07:02
The ALDI Canvas Seat covers are disgusting and near useless.
I had mine for 1.5 hours then returned them.

But, what else would you expect for a 1 size fits all product :)
AnswerID: 604207

Reply By: Rojac - Friday, Sep 09, 2016 at 18:22

Friday, Sep 09, 2016 at 18:22
Good luck with that, every time they have advertised anything decent, when I get there there is nothing left, like they have 1 item on display and nothing else. Its a con to get you in

BTW I'm not waiting at the door for the store to open so whether they actually have the items is any ones guess
AnswerID: 604250

Follow Up By: TomH - Friday, Sep 09, 2016 at 19:05

Friday, Sep 09, 2016 at 19:05
Early bird gets the worm You either want it and go early or waste your time going after 9am and miss out.

They only get so many per store and as Masters says Once they're gone they're gone.

Be aware that a lot of Aldi stuff is rebranded from another maker.

EG the cheese is actually rebranded Bega.

Same with the specials they just get someone to do a run and put their own brand on it.
FollowupID: 873988

Follow Up By: GREG T11 - Friday, Sep 09, 2016 at 19:22

Friday, Sep 09, 2016 at 19:22
We shall see, I think I will give the fridge a shot, after looking at weacos they do not appear to have a good rep these days. The older ones do but later ones it is a 50/50. cut.

Still have to see one in the flesh though before making my mind up.
FollowupID: 873990

Reply By: vk1dx - Monday, Sep 12, 2016 at 10:10

Monday, Sep 12, 2016 at 10:10
I went to a fund raiser for a school rugby team to tour Europe back in the late 80's. The speakers were Roy Masters of rugby league fame and Allan Jones of rugby fame etc etc many other things!!

The main point that BOTH (yes they agreed) was to "buy Australian where you can otherwise you will lose the industry and jobs". How true both were. Where have Falcon and Holden gone.

I wouldn't touch Aldi or Ikea with a barge pole. I would rather spend a bit more and try, yes try, keep our workers in a job. We are on pensions here so don't have buckets to spend but we try our bit. Yes the world is turning into a global market but we don't have to actively support putting our lot off the market.

We have many people on this forum who rant and rave about "supporting the locals".Well why don't we support our own workers.

As Forrest Gump said: "That's All I Have To Say About That"

And we will continue to buy A2 as long as it is from Oz.

Phil
AnswerID: 604319

Follow Up By: GREG T11 - Tuesday, Sep 13, 2016 at 21:51

Tuesday, Sep 13, 2016 at 21:51
I see your point Phil, but it is getting awfully hard to keep track of who builds what where. What may have originally been made in Oz when first brought onto the market morphs into a chinese sourced product on a regular basis. of course you have to do a bit of homework to find out these things as the sales people will not tell you and they certainly don't say in advertising brochures.

I used to be in wholesale rural supplies. Years ago there were a number of companies that manufactured using BHP or similar materials to produce anything from C clips, barb wire, all your fencing from chook/birds through to the h/duty stuff for farms. Your star pickets and gal posts and rails, at one point even cattle crushes. All this was made in Oz from Oz steel out of Newcastle.

This sadly has all changed due to the end users choice. Not the business owner. The end user is happy enough to take chinese produced goods because it is cheaper end of story. I will give you one example, had a pallet of rural netting out of waratah, top quality 100 mtr rolls that wholesale were $275. Whenever I had the opportunity I would push these to the produce stores, co-ops or hardware outlets that were chasing that spec. These were country people from Charleville to Cairns . The answer was always no one is going to pay that when the chinese roll is $189. We are talking paying $2.75 v $1.89 a mtr .

If that is not enough we were making chainwire using One Steel wire from Newcastle to begin with originally, in 2 years the raw material cost increased 25%. To be competitive swapped to Malaysian sourced wire landed cheaper than we were paying at the beginning. A.R.C who are probably the first ones in this market all those years ago have bailed, They are no longer manufacturing chain wire.

The chain wire market is no small potatoes niche market, there are government contracts that can come to hundreds of thousands, but it is very hard to get them when you are behind the 8 ball being hog tied by raw material costs and everyone one else isn't.

One particular company though has been able to survive, they run it as a church based organisation therefor .pay little or no tax. Whether or not they use Oz wire I have no idea.

All in all our free trade agreements are working, those that dig out the raw materials get a motza, they ship it overseas to get processed by someone who is just happy to have a job, the government gets royalties to top up their super and the plebs like me who scape up enough money have a choice in buying something possibly Australian made for $1000 or obviously Chinese for half the price. Which in a lot of cases has the same level of aftersales service. S.F.A

I am sorry to say my buy Australian made mantra died when I owned a BF falcon. The only people I was supporting were the dealer staff, 1 out of any 2 parts replaced were sourced by them from aftermarket outlets. Made in China.
P.O.S AND NEVER AGAIN.

Sorry about the long winded post but I feel that the battle is lost. We were stuffed the day woollies and Coles and all their various entities came to the market place.
FollowupID: 874113

Follow Up By: GREG T11 - Tuesday, Sep 13, 2016 at 22:26

Tuesday, Sep 13, 2016 at 22:26
Back again, I feel pretty strongly about this. When people mention saving aussie jobs and then proceed to Bunnings. They have wiped out at last count over 200 small hardware stores in qld alone. A large percentage regional shops who whilst making their profit spent it in the town.. Bunnings sets up in a major town nearby and you are stuffed. People will drive 100 + kms to save a dollar or two.. Those same hardware stores usually used the local freight carrier to pick up the goods as well, now someone like TOLL will be running direct out of a logistics warehouse ( and for anyone who has ordered something and gets told it hasn't arrived yet you can guarantee they stuffed up sending the wrong thing ). More money out of their local economy.

Once good old Bunnings has screwed any competition they will start screwiing you.

This is not directed at you Phil just venting.
FollowupID: 874115

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Tuesday, Sep 13, 2016 at 22:41

Tuesday, Sep 13, 2016 at 22:41
Greg

I hear you. We have a Nissan and a Toyota. Prior to these cars we had Holdens and Minis (made in Sydney)

Our new kitchen is all Miele. That said we still buy A2 milk. We just try. That's all I like to hear.

But to listen to people braging about Aldi, Ikea and Costco and then hear them say "support the locals", get's the shackels up.

Phil
FollowupID: 874117

Follow Up By: Gramps - Tuesday, Sep 13, 2016 at 23:00

Tuesday, Sep 13, 2016 at 23:00
Before you lot get too hot under the collar just think how many jobs Coles, Woolies, Aldi, Ikea, Costco, Toll, Bunnings etc and their supporting companies provide to the Australian workforce.

I've tried the "Buy Australian first" strategy and been consistently disappointed more often than not. There seems to be far too many cynical manufacturers, retailers, wholesalers, etc who "prey" on this concept and will rip you off as soon as look at you.

Value for money will always be my first priority, not necessarily cheapest price. If it's produced locally that's a bonus but definitely not the overriding consideration.

Regards
FollowupID: 874119

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Tuesday, Sep 13, 2016 at 23:15

Tuesday, Sep 13, 2016 at 23:15
"will rip you off as soon as look at you". That's for sure.

Yes! Many do, but like I said Gramps "We just try".

Phil
FollowupID: 874121

Sponsored Links