Route info.. Tassie; Arthur River to Hellyer gorge reserve

Submitted: Friday, Oct 28, 2016 at 09:53
ThreadID: 133678 Views:2978 Replies:1 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
hi people's! I'm in the process of planning a trip to north west Tassie early next year and after a little help. I'm looking for a short cut through the mountains from about Arthur River to camp at Hellyer gorge reserve. Thought it might be better than staying on the black stuff to get around there. Any help would be appreciated. Also, would I need any passes or permits. Cheers, Phil
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Wildmax - Friday, Oct 28, 2016 at 11:25

Friday, Oct 28, 2016 at 11:25
There are several options to make a trip down the Tasmanian West Coast more interesting.
You can go down the "western explorer" from Arthur River and call in to Temma and Couta Rocks and then continue on to cross the Pieman River on the barge at Corinna which brings you back to the blacktop at Zeehan, and from there you can detour out to Trial and Granville Harbours.
Then you have access to Queenstown, Strahan, the Henty dunes etc - all well worth visiting.
There are good free camp options at various locations down that coast south of Arthur River. If you want to get out to the main highway near Hellyer Gorge, you can stay above the Pieman and head out from north of Corinna back through to Waratah. It's bitumen, but still an interesting drive, and Waratah is a fascinating old mining township.
Enjoy!
Wildmax
2018 Hilux and Black Wolf 210 tent - for the outback tracks less travelled
Formerly an AOR Eclipse and a TVan

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 605481

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Friday, Oct 28, 2016 at 23:20

Friday, Oct 28, 2016 at 23:20
There is no short cut I know of for you. Wildmax's route through Corina is around a 5 hour drive of 195 km (according to Google maps.) The black top via Smithton is around 2 hours or 170 km.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 875248

Sponsored Links