Adelaide to Broome - Feb- late March

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 11, 2017 at 17:42
ThreadID: 134093 Views:3798 Replies:9 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hi. My wife and I, plus 2 small dogs( Westie and Scottie) will be leaving Adelaide in early Feb and heading to Broome . ETA - late March. ( wife starts new role in Broome in April) Will be towing our new Van and its our first long road trip.
So, we have a long way to drive with fixed time, but we have enough time to spend relaxing and exploring selected places. As such we plan to head up the middle to Alice, Katherine and then over to Broome.
Wondering firstly about the Dogs around Uluru - does anyone know where we might be able to leave them so we can check it out properly.
Plus any insights into the "can't miss spots along the way. We are going to be in Broome and the Kimberley for a while and will do the GRR etc without the Van later. Bitumen only this time as we need to be in Broome on time.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member-George (WA) - Wednesday, Jan 11, 2017 at 19:47

Wednesday, Jan 11, 2017 at 19:47
Hi Tony, Reading between the lines, I assume you have private accommodation in Broome. If you are counting on staying in a caravan park, there are not many, if any, dog friendly caravan parks in Broome. When we stayed there last year there were none and we stayed in a park about 25km out of Broome. We have a Kelpie. Cheers
AnswerID: 607471

Reply By: Life Member - Duncan W (WA) - Wednesday, Jan 11, 2017 at 19:52

Wednesday, Jan 11, 2017 at 19:52
Tony have you enquired with Curtin Springs if they allow dogs? If so, you may be able to leave the dogs in your van why you day trip to the rocks? It's only 84km from Yulara.



Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 607472

Follow Up By: birdnerd - Thursday, Jan 12, 2017 at 08:10

Thursday, Jan 12, 2017 at 08:10
Wouldn't it be too hot in the van? What if there's a fire in there (unlikely I know but it can happen).
FollowupID: 877186

Reply By: BTLC - Wednesday, Jan 11, 2017 at 20:01

Wednesday, Jan 11, 2017 at 20:01
Places of recommendation along your journey:
- Mataranka
- Bungle Bungles (caravan park close by, but you will need a high clearance 4wd)
- do you take a diversion to Darwin? & Litchfield & or Kakadu
- Western & Eastern McDonald Ranges, Palm Valley, out of Alice (will need high clearance 4wd for Palm Valley)
- Devils Marbles
- Kunurra
- Lake Argile
AnswerID: 607474

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Wednesday, Jan 11, 2017 at 21:56

Wednesday, Jan 11, 2017 at 21:56
Hi Tony,

Heading north from Alice Springs, the Devils Marbles is worth a look in and see, even if you don't stop there overnight.
Further north, Daly Waters is worth an overnight stop. The camp ground is right next to the pub and a convivial time can be assumed at this historic location.
Maturanka Homestead Tourist Resort is also a good spot to chill out for a day or two. The hot springs is very popular and relaxing and is a short walk from the campground.
Katherine is also a good place for a 2 night stopover with a day trip to the Gorge for first timers worthwhile.
Kununurra is a small but cosy town oozing with hospitality and again, at least a two night stop to "chill out" will be rewarding.
Heading down the Savannah Highway, (part of the Great Northern Highway) a "half way" stop at Fitzroy Crossing for another couple of days will allow a trip out to Geike Gorge and a boat tour along the Fitzroy River. As you will be early in the year and towards the end of the wet season you may need to check if the Gorge is open to visitors, but it is a worthwhile visit if possible. A good tip here from personal experience is to ensure your camp is secure from "midnight marauders" looking for unsecured booze in outside fridges or eskys.
When you get to Broome, your first priority after accommodation issues, should be a visit to Matso's Brewery for a paddle or two. I can recommend their Ginger Beer, Cider and several of the beers on offer. (thus the suggestion of a tasting paddle)

I have a full itinerary from Adelaide to Broome available, from our trip three years ago, but this included the Gibb River Road on the way down to Broome and the Savannah Highway on the way back to Kununurra and we had a bit more time available than you probably have available.

In any case, enjoy your trip and extended stay in Broome.

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 607478

Follow Up By: Crowman1712 - Thursday, Jan 12, 2017 at 16:21

Thursday, Jan 12, 2017 at 16:21
Thanks Bill. Considering options given time of year, potential weather restrictionsplus comfort for us and more importantly our 2dogs. Have some time built in if floods etc and as you can see we will be spending quite some time in broome so plenty options to explore.

Definitely interested in your planned tour you mentioned as we will do GRR and Savannah Way at some point.

FollowupID: 877198

Reply By: new boy - Thursday, Jan 12, 2017 at 11:28

Thursday, Jan 12, 2017 at 11:28
Might be putting a dampener on but a late/continuing wet and or cyclone could have you on the side of a river for couple of days waiting for the water to reside and a lot of places closed IE Gieke gorge Katherine gorge Kakadu and Liechfield just to name a couple.
IMHO you are in Broome all those places more accessable than from further south so seeing them in the dry when it,s all open might be better and seeing things in the south on the way so you wont have to travel 2500 plus ks to see in your holidays.
AnswerID: 607496

Follow Up By: Rob J8 - Thursday, Jan 12, 2017 at 13:40

Thursday, Jan 12, 2017 at 13:40
I'm inclined to agree with new boy.
I wouldn't travel up the middle in February and March unless I had to because it will be stinking hot. 40+ and when you get up to the tropics you could have a cyclone. They are possible until mid April.
Stick to the Nullarbor and hopefully get an Easterly to blow you over to Norseman.
The centre is really lovely but the winter months are much more enjoyable for your dogs and yourselves
FollowupID: 877195

Follow Up By: Crowman1712 - Thursday, Jan 12, 2017 at 16:24

Thursday, Jan 12, 2017 at 16:24
Thx guys....... this is option b . And possibly better given conditions. Would you go up through kalgoorlie, to pt hedland or over toward perth and up that way.
FollowupID: 877199

Follow Up By: rocco2010 - Thursday, Jan 12, 2017 at 16:52

Thursday, Jan 12, 2017 at 16:52
Gee Crowman , I don't envy you working this out. Any other time of the year if would be the trip of a lifetime.

Being from WA I would say go across the Nullarbor to Kal and up the Goldfields Highway to Wiluna. The road across to Meekatharra has long unsealed sections but is generally well maintained. From there to Port Hedland and Broome.

It will almost certainly be very hot and as others say the closer you get to to Broome the more likely a cyclone will come into play.

Going via Perth will add many Km to the journey.

An alternative is to forget about doing the tourist thing and aim to get there in the minimum number of days. It seems a shame to waste an opportunity to see the country but the conditions may be against enjoying it.

Good luck with it.


FollowupID: 877201

Reply By: Crowman1712 - Thursday, Jan 12, 2017 at 15:10

Thursday, Jan 12, 2017 at 15:10
Thanks for the replies.

Definitely contemplating the weather, but the center appeals to us and we have time built in for nay delays.

I want to 'save" the Coast road up from Perth until we have "no time ' restrictions at all, so the other option is over to Kalgoorlie and up Hway 94Coolgardie- Esperance Hway. Has anyone done it b4 and what's it like?
AnswerID: 607501

Follow Up By: new boy - Thursday, Jan 12, 2017 at 17:16

Thursday, Jan 12, 2017 at 17:16
Tony thats the main highway no issue at all . The other is go nth from Southern Cross to Mukinbuddin accross to Gt Northern Highway at Dalwallinu north through Wubin Newman Hedland Broome still hot but cooler than Wiluna and no gravel.
FollowupID: 877202

Reply By: RobandFlip - Friday, Jan 13, 2017 at 09:17

Friday, Jan 13, 2017 at 09:17
Hi Guys,
I see you are travelling with two cute Terriers. Love them, as we also have two. Have you organised where in Broome you will be staying? Pups are banned in all caravan parks however, if you have other accommodation you won't have a problem.
AnswerID: 607511

Reply By: Crowman1712 - Friday, Jan 13, 2017 at 18:25

Friday, Jan 13, 2017 at 18:25
Rob and Flip. I have organised to stay at Cable Beach Caravan Park after discussing the pooches with them. Provided I keep them öut of sight"we can saty until we find more permanent accom. So that was good.
AnswerID: 607527

Reply By: Crowman1712 - Friday, Jan 13, 2017 at 18:32

Friday, Jan 13, 2017 at 18:32
So, I have done the review today and checked weather temp/rainfall averages etc. It seems the most "logical route would be to Norseman, Kalgoorlie, over to Geraldton and then straight up. The Mt Magnet/Newman /Hedland route was an option but potential for sky rocket temps.

That might deal with the issues of the 40 plus temps and risk of rained out in the wet! Can't control the Cyclones though....just a factor to deal with should it occur.

Seems to me the more conservative route but might make the other half and the 2 pooches more comfortable.

Thanks for your input.

AnswerID: 607528

Sponsored Links