Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 29, 2017 at 12:11
ThreadID: 134564 Views:2871 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi has anybody taken a caravan into Burralow Recreational Area near Bilpin NSW

JD
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Wednesday, Mar 29, 2017 at 13:45

Wednesday, Mar 29, 2017 at 13:45
Try looking for Burralow Creek campground. There is an EO entry for it. Click on that link.

Other web sites say things like This track I would consider fairly easy in most decent 4wds, and you should have no problem with a small 4wd suv if you are careful
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 609791

Reply By: Michael H9 - Wednesday, Mar 29, 2017 at 17:55

Wednesday, Mar 29, 2017 at 17:55
The road in on the Bilpin side is more or less a normal dirt road but it does have a few switch backs that might be tight depending on the size of the van. I'd rate it as not road van friendly but an off road van probably wouldn't have a problem providing it could squeeze around the corners. The track in from Kurrajong Heights is probably too steep for a van.
AnswerID: 609795

Reply By: splits - Wednesday, Mar 29, 2017 at 19:45

Wednesday, Mar 29, 2017 at 19:45
The road from Kurrajong Heights to Bilpin through Barralow Creek is listed in the book by Craig Lewis and Cathy Savage titled "4WDTreks Close to Sydney". The whole route is 22.1 ks long and is described as being easy and suitable for AWDs and camper trailers.

As Michael said the road down from Kurrajong Heights is steep and from what I can remember of it a couple of years ago, it has a few erosion ditches which might cause a few ramp over clearance problems for vans. The surface was smooth.

I can't remember the tight turns going in from Bilpin probably because I was not towing anything.

The book says for information on it contact: NPWS Richmond on 02 4588 5247 or NPWS Glenbrook on 02 4739 2950
AnswerID: 609797

Reply By: Gronk - Wednesday, Mar 29, 2017 at 22:17

Wednesday, Mar 29, 2017 at 22:17
The track in from Kurrajong is fairly narrow and slippery when wet, but if you have a small or offroad van, you'll have no problems...unless someone comes the other way !!
Bilpin end is an ordinary dirt track, until you come down the last hill before the campground.......a couple of tight corners and a narrow bridge .

I have seen 20ft dual axle offroad type vans in there, so if you have a bigger type van, the Bilpin end would be the go !
AnswerID: 609800

Reply By: Baz - The Landy - Thursday, Mar 30, 2017 at 08:48

Thursday, Mar 30, 2017 at 08:48
Hi JD

This is a very pleasant drive for Sydney-siders or those visiting and we are regular visitors to the area.

Access is via Bells Line of Road at either the small village of Kurrajong taking Burralow road or further along via the Paterson Range fire trail near Bilpin.

The four wheel drive track, which covers approximately 25-kilometres, is moderately steep in some sections and not suitable at times of heavy rain.

The campground at Burralow Creek is large and ideal for both small and larger groups with a pit toilet and a couple of walking tracks nearby.

In terms of caravan access, I would be more inclined to come in via Kurrajong despite it being steeper (not unduly so) due to a couple of tight switch-backs you will encounter coming in from the Bilpin side and not too far from the actual camp-ground.

Which way you choose to come and how easily you can do it will largely depend on the size of your total rig (Vehicle + Van).

I regularly see "medium" size camper trailers in there and I suspect you will have no problem if your van is small to medium sized.

Enjoy this wonderful part of the lower Blue Mountains...

Cheers, Baz - The Landy
AnswerID: 609807

Sponsored Links