Tassie at Christmas

Submitted: Thursday, May 25, 2017 at 16:44
ThreadID: 134946 Views:2570 Replies:6 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
We are in the stages of planning a 4 week trip to Tassie over the Christmas Holidays and wondering about the availability of camp sites at this busy time of year.
We would prefer to free camp if possible and are self contained with an Ultimate Camper and Prado.
Are we asking too much and need to book in at a caravan park or should we just wing it and see where we end up which is our preferred option.
Any advice appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: rumpig - Thursday, May 25, 2017 at 18:03

Thursday, May 25, 2017 at 18:03
It really depends where you go as to how busy it will be. We were there at Xmas time a few years ago and stayed at Macquarie Heads (near Strahan) over the actual Xmas Day and Boxing Day and left the day after that.... it wasn't to bad as far as being busy went, but the motorbikes that ride on the beach there did get a touch annoying (started getting busier Boxing Day) . After that we headed towards Arthur River area for New Years, fairly quiet around that area, but as we headed North after that we found a few places that were refugee camp like. The week before Xmas we were down South at Cockle Creek, all the locals had dropped there caravans off there a week or so earlier to save their spots for the Xmas period, the place was a ghost town as far as people went, but we struggled to find a camp area (found a nice spot eventually though). Guessing the East Coast would have been pretty busy, so it just depends where you go as to what it will be like.
AnswerID: 611408

Reply By: uncle arthur - Thursday, May 25, 2017 at 19:10

Thursday, May 25, 2017 at 19:10
Anywhere along the East Coast over Xmas period is booked out well ahead. All the free camps on the East Coast are occupied months before with empty vans/camps waiting for the campers to arrive. A good lay back caravan park is in Zeehan with new owners doing it up.
A place not to miss under any circumstances is "The Wall in the Wilderness" at Derwent Bridge.
AnswerID: 611413

Reply By: baznpud (tassie) - Friday, May 26, 2017 at 15:07

Friday, May 26, 2017 at 15:07
Seeing you are only here for four weeks over the Christmas period, as stated it will be busy on the East Coast, but if it was me i would as you say "wing it", you will always be able to fit in somewhere.
The caravan park in the Huon Valley is very busy at that time of the year, but do have a large over flow area, also good camping at Rivers Edge about 20ks out of Huonville,
Cheers
baz
Go caravaning, life is so much shorter than death.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 611446

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Friday, May 26, 2017 at 17:19

Friday, May 26, 2017 at 17:19
I'll second Rivers Edge.Young couple have really made a go of it and deserve patronage. Reasonable rates, fabulous campground, huge sites. A+++

Also worth a look is Myrtle Park recreational ground, about 30km out of Launceston on the A3. Huge sites on the St Patrick River. Platypus and trout in the river, firewood for sale, fire buckets etc and cheap.

Mole Creek CP is worth a look as it's pretty and convenient to Cradle Mt and King Solomon's caves and some other stuff, but I suspect that will be full.

Otherwise wing it with Wikicamps and other resources.

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 881480

Reply By: duck - Saturday, May 27, 2017 at 09:29

Saturday, May 27, 2017 at 09:29
1st See if you can even get on & off the boat with your car & van at the times that suit you.
AnswerID: 611464

Follow Up By: phantom - Thursday, Jun 01, 2017 at 07:57

Thursday, Jun 01, 2017 at 07:57
Hi Duck,
Boat trip is all booked.
FollowupID: 881637

Reply By: phantom - Saturday, May 27, 2017 at 14:30

Saturday, May 27, 2017 at 14:30
Thanks everyone, we'll head over on 22nd December so might book in somewhere for Christmas for 3 or 4 days then play it by ear. Have wikicamps and camps 8.
AnswerID: 611467

Reply By: phantom - Saturday, May 27, 2017 at 14:48

Saturday, May 27, 2017 at 14:48
Any tips on a good caravan park to stop up when we first get there, probably for 3 nights, leaving on boxing day or there abouts. Will have Mr. 15 yo with us, so somewhere either on a river or beach.
AnswerID: 611468

Follow Up By: baznpud (tassie) - Wednesday, May 31, 2017 at 17:09

Wednesday, May 31, 2017 at 17:09
Suggest you google caravan parks in Devonport area, there is one on the Mersey Bluff over looking the beach and Bass Strait, but has a few bad write ups on trip advisor, manager a bit of a prick apparently.
Look at Wikicamps, there is a free camp close to Devonport.
Enjoy Tassie.
cheers
baz
Go caravaning, life is so much shorter than death.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 881617

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Thursday, Jun 01, 2017 at 17:33

Thursday, Jun 01, 2017 at 17:33
" manager a bit of a prick apparently."

Yes there are some who fail the personality check, we all found him OK.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 881649

Sponsored Links