off road tracking devices

Submitted: Saturday, Jun 24, 2017 at 14:58
ThreadID: 135147 Views:4773 Replies:4 FollowUps:15
This Thread has been Archived
forum on tracking devices
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: garrycol - Saturday, Jun 24, 2017 at 17:07

Saturday, Jun 24, 2017 at 17:07
Sorry not following - what is the point of this thread - sorry if i have missed it.
AnswerID: 612115

Reply By: equinox - Saturday, Jun 24, 2017 at 17:08

Saturday, Jun 24, 2017 at 17:08
I use a "Spot" device and have done for a number of years.

It sends a tracking signal out every so often with your position.
You can access this info online for you or others (you can select levels of privacy)
The data can be used for example on this site EO, with EOtrackme or other 3rd party sites.

As a bonus the "Spot" comes with an emergency button (if things go really pear shaped)

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 612116

Follow Up By: V8 Troopie - Saturday, Jun 24, 2017 at 20:18

Saturday, Jun 24, 2017 at 20:18
Hi Alan,
I googled that device but it was not clear if there are other expenses, beside the purchase price, associated with it?
Does it require a licence to access the tracking data? If so, how do the charge that (time interval) and approximate cost?

Thanks, I have a new car and thought such a device could be useful.
Cheers
Klaus
FollowupID: 882179

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Sunday, Jun 25, 2017 at 07:52

Sunday, Jun 25, 2017 at 07:52
Klaus,
I also have a Spot Messenger.
Outrageous ongoing costs though.
US$165.00 (AU$218.00) for a basic annual subscription (10 min tracking intervals)
US$50 (AU$66.00) annual upgrade to enable tracking at 5 min intervals.
The advantage of a spot device over a PLB is the ability to enable tracking of where you are at a given time (5 minute intervals, or down to 2.5 minutes for full annual subscription) and to transmit preset "OK" email message to nominated people with link to your current location.
Both type of devices will provide emergency broadcast of your location to authorities should you need to, but something like a GME MT410G will do so at no additional ongoing costs, for a period of 7 years or so, until the end of the battery life.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 882196

Follow Up By: Member - ACD 1 - Sunday, Jun 25, 2017 at 09:43

Sunday, Jun 25, 2017 at 09:43
There is also the consideration of the SPOT's third party reporting to AMSA.

PLB's (and EPIRBS) alert AMSA in the first instance. SPOT alerts a third party and then they alert AMSA of your distress.

Cheers

Anthony
FollowupID: 882199

Follow Up By: V8 Troopie - Sunday, Jun 25, 2017 at 19:46

Sunday, Jun 25, 2017 at 19:46
Thanks Bill & Anthony. It looks that device is too expensive for what I had in mind.

There is an EPIRB in my car, in case I need rescuing - unlikely on my trips.
I thought that 'Spot' thingie might be useful to find where the car is located in case it got nicked.
Constant monitoring around the clock is useful for some but for me location monitoring only upon request (like ringing a phone number that activates it) would be more useful.
Is there a gadget that does that?
Klaus
FollowupID: 882229

Follow Up By: Member - ACD 1 - Sunday, Jun 25, 2017 at 20:37

Sunday, Jun 25, 2017 at 20:37
Klaus

Below is a link to a recent thread on this forum About GPS vehicle trackers.

GPS Vehicle Tracker Thread

Within that thread, one of the posters gave some information on an Australian made 3G GPS Vehicle Tracker. I have attached the link below.

3G GPS Vehicle Tracker

I had a look at them and will be getting one for my Camper Trailer. The reason for me going with this one:

3G technology - 2G is almost redundant.
Not locked to a Telco Network - your choice
No monthly fees - you only need to maintain your prepaid sim credit (The quote $15/365 days but depends on telco)
You can call it and it calls you.
links to live mapping
You can activate alarm or siren (if you want)
Different models to suit your need
Australian designed and made

I haven't recieved it yet - so can't comment except for what was on their website, but I'm looking forward to getting it installed.

They are for caravans, but the site also talks about vehicle installations.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Anthony
FollowupID: 882233

Follow Up By: V8 Troopie - Sunday, Jun 25, 2017 at 21:39

Sunday, Jun 25, 2017 at 21:39
Thanks a million Anthony, that one is what I'm after.
Isn't this forum great!
Klaus
FollowupID: 882240

Follow Up By: Member - ACD 1 - Sunday, Jun 25, 2017 at 23:04

Sunday, Jun 25, 2017 at 23:04
Yep! It can be!

But then you get the Googlers, Cut and Paste Experts and document 'analysers' who get it wrong, then try to justify and then still get it wrong...

But on the whole (if you can apply your filters to that stuff) there are some great contributors with some really sound "Old Wisdom" knowledge to pass on (and I don't necessarily mean their age). You can work them out pretty quickly though.

Glad the info was of use.

Cheers

Anthony
FollowupID: 882246

Follow Up By: garrycol - Sunday, Jun 25, 2017 at 23:15

Sunday, Jun 25, 2017 at 23:15
But of no use if outside mobile phone coverage areas.
FollowupID: 882247

Follow Up By: Member - ACD 1 - Monday, Jun 26, 2017 at 00:06

Monday, Jun 26, 2017 at 00:06
Do you have a better system garrycol?

All up, I think the protection offered is pretty good!

- My camper is stored in the Metro Area (despite rumours Telstra coverage is usually pretty good)
- I would use a Telstra SIM - so covered when travelling in most regional areas.
- It has the option of external 3G and GPS aerials so good range ( might even stick a mobile booster onto it)
- The chances of it being stolen of the back of my Landcruiser or when we are remote are pretty slim.
- It will call your phone when it gets back into network range so you unless the thieves are going to live remotely forever, the chances of recovery are pretty good.

Cheers

Anthony
FollowupID: 882249

Follow Up By: garrycol - Monday, Jun 26, 2017 at 10:21

Monday, Jun 26, 2017 at 10:21
Just highlighting a major deficiency if the Sim based trackers are intended to be used outside used built up areas.

There are expensive GPS trackers that do not use a sim card to report position but use a satellite system but these are very expensive where a Sim based system can be from about $50 to $400.
FollowupID: 882263

Follow Up By: Member - ACD 1 - Monday, Jun 26, 2017 at 10:57

Monday, Jun 26, 2017 at 10:57
Ok! So my question still stands.

Do you have a better system?

Stop being a knocker and provide the information!

Cheers

Anthony
FollowupID: 882267

Follow Up By: garrycol - Monday, Jun 26, 2017 at 23:51

Monday, Jun 26, 2017 at 23:51
Not knocking anything just highlighting a deficiency of the Sim based system in case the OP thought they might work anywhere.

I am sure if you use google you will find alternative systems.
FollowupID: 882298

Follow Up By: Member - ACD 1 - Tuesday, Jun 27, 2017 at 10:06

Tuesday, Jun 27, 2017 at 10:06
There it is...

The stock answer from someone who doesn't know!

Why waste your time posting with a negative comment if you won't provide a solution. I hope the people who respond to your posts don't give you the same answer when you seek advice. You certainly deserve it

Cheers

Anthony
FollowupID: 882305

Follow Up By: garrycol - Tuesday, Jun 27, 2017 at 10:25

Tuesday, Jun 27, 2017 at 10:25
As I said for those who are a bit slow - just highlighting an important issue on the use of these items particularly offroad (remote areas) hmmm the topic of this thread - unlike your attitude,nothing negative about that.

Have a nice day
FollowupID: 882310

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie - Friday, Jul 28, 2017 at 16:52

Friday, Jul 28, 2017 at 16:52
Anthony,

Are you able to provide any up-to-date info on this tracker please? I think you were just in the process of fitting it when this thread was active.

To Garrycol..... I think you made your point more than adequately. For the major part of its use, the SIM-based unit would be more than adequate I would expect..... Say, for example, you were camped at Coongie Lakes where there is no coverage (as far as I know). You go for a bushwalk etc and return to find your caravan has been nicked!!! Bugga!!!

What to do? I would drive back to the nearest civilisation (Innaminka) where I would alert authorities... not sure if there is mobile coverage at Innaminka yet.

The mongrel that stole my van would (presumably) be headed for somewhere that does have mobile coverage and would soon be caught.

I think you're being a bit defeatist to be honest.....yes, it is a valid point, nobody has denied that.

Looking forward to hearing back from Anthony.

Cheers,

Bill

Roachie....Don't follow me....I'm lost!

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 883109

Reply By: ModSquad - Saturday, Jun 24, 2017 at 21:43

Saturday, Jun 24, 2017 at 21:43
Hi Michael. The aim of the forum is to discuss and elicit information and to do that, you probably need to add a little more substance to your post.

If you wish to add further, don't hesitate to contact us on the modsquad email with any additional information you would like added to the post as we have an edit button and can pop it in for you.

Just send us an email with the additional words to modsquad@exploroz.com
Cheers.

The squad
Moderation is just rules

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 612125

Reply By: Member - peter_mcc - Friday, Jul 28, 2017 at 01:24

Friday, Jul 28, 2017 at 01:24
My suggestion for a "out of mobile range" tracker is the Spot Trace. Works anywhere with 5 min reporting intervals.

If you're trying to track down your stolen camper trailer in the city it probably isn't that great because if it can't see the sky it can't transmit its position. For that you would be better off with a 3G/4G one.

If you get a 3G/4G one take note of which radio frequencies/bands it uses - the 3 carriers use different bands so it may not work that well if it missing bands your carrier uses.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 612733

Sponsored Links