Trek Comment: The Tanami Track

Have just completed Gibb River Road including side trek to Mitchell Plateau - pretty arduous!
Wondering how the Tanami compares, is it more of the same or much better?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Gone Bush (WA) - Friday, Jul 14, 2017 at 14:24

Friday, Jul 14, 2017 at 14:24
The Tanami is far worse than the GRR.

You are very likely to sustain damage.

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 612509

Follow Up By: Life Member - Duncan W (WA) - Friday, Jul 14, 2017 at 15:00

Friday, Jul 14, 2017 at 15:00
Based on what I experienced last year on the Tanami and this year on the GRR and the route into the Michelle Plateau I'd say the complete reverse.

Problem is these roads change dramatically within 24hrs. This was definitely the case in mid June this year going into the Mitchell Plateau. I was expecting worse on the way in and yes it was bad but within 24hrs and on the way out things had changed for the worse by I'd say 200% and on the Kalumburru Rd we were down to a crawl in places. Yes I'd lowered pressures and was driving to the conditions.

Lots of contributing factors more like but I ended up having to have a new RHS wheel bearing stub axle and free wheeling hub end etc etc plus shocky bushes fitted. I could have lost the whole wheel apparently so lucky it happened while we were in town.

All you can do is drive to the conditions experienced BY YOU on the day. My vehicle is a 75 series Troopy so heavy as all buggery, leaf springs and my tyres are Toyo M55 so a very hard carcass tyre. Ran them at 30 front and 32 rear. So more than likely a totally different set-up to you and most others.

Enjoy the journey. I enjoyed the Tanami and the millions of termite mounds.

Cheers

Dunc
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 882754

Follow Up By: Member - Wildmax - Monday, Jul 17, 2017 at 08:04

Monday, Jul 17, 2017 at 08:04
I've done the Tanami twice (including a couple of months ago) and it's a piece of cake; don't know what Gone Bush is talking about.
As always, be conscious of the conditions, recent railfalls etc, but it's basically a good gravel highway, and a handy short cut to Alice.
Cheers
Wildmax
2018 Hilux and Black Wolf 210 tent - for the outback tracks less travelled
Formerly an AOR Eclipse and a TVan

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 882825

Reply By: Mick O - Friday, Jul 14, 2017 at 14:59

Friday, Jul 14, 2017 at 14:59
Dependent on weather, conditions remain pretty constant with areas of most wear and hazard closer to communities and on corners.

I put this summation up a few years ago and gives a general idea of what to expect. Despite a couple of years, you can expect conditions to be similar, as I say dependent on weather and the grader gods :-)

Tanami Report

Cheers
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 612510

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Friday, Jul 14, 2017 at 15:43

Friday, Jul 14, 2017 at 15:43
Hmmm!

Have recently returned from a trip including a west to east trip along the Gibb River Road. I didn't consider the track as all that bad, even though we went through prior to any major grading being done.
It was not as "smooth" as an east to west journey we did 3 years previously, but still not all that bad and certainly not arduous. We thoroughly enjoyed our trip, especially a few days we chilled out at Manning Gorge campground. What a little gem of a place.

I can understand the track to the Mitchell Plateau (Kalumburu Road) may have been rough, especially the top section. It is probably one of the last sections on the grading schedule and the "wet season" lasted longer this year.
When we drove the GRR, Windjana/Tunnel Creek and Bell Gorge access tracks we still closed.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 612514

Follow Up By: Life Member - Duncan W (WA) - Friday, Jul 14, 2017 at 16:45

Friday, Jul 14, 2017 at 16:45
Hi Bill agree the GRR could have been a lot worse. What we noticed travelling west to east was that the west bound side of the road appeared to be in much worse condition and that could be attributed to there being a whole lot more traffic going in that direction. Like every other time I've been on the road you get fantastic bits, you get some roughish bits and you get some where your false teeth might fall out. A real mixed bag. The only bit of road that was being graded and resurfaced was between Ellenbrae Stn and the Durack River and if you saw the size of the rocks that get crushed to surface the road you can understand where some of the punctures that you hear people getting come from.
I think as roads go up there the unsealed portion of the Kooljaman Road in the Dampier Peninsula is over-all one of the worse road.
cheers
Dunc
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 882756

Reply By: Sigmund - Friday, Jul 14, 2017 at 20:22

Friday, Jul 14, 2017 at 20:22
Did the Gibb last year and found it very good in general but it was early in the season. The Mitchell access and Kalumburu roads however were very corrugated.

Just been down the Tanami. Report here.

But it's hard to compare experiences as people have varying expectations and rigs. Eg. for corrugations on sandy roads I air well down and that makes a big difference. And a monocoque chassis vehicle feels worse than a ladder frame.
AnswerID: 612520

Reply By: Member - pete g1 - Friday, Jul 14, 2017 at 21:27

Friday, Jul 14, 2017 at 21:27
https://www.exploroz.com/forum/135244/tanami-condition-report

13/07/2017
AnswerID: 612522

Reply By: Member - peter_mcc - Monday, Jul 17, 2017 at 11:19

Monday, Jul 17, 2017 at 11:19
I'm just back from the Kimberley (including Mitchell Falls Rd) and we returned to Alice Springs via the Tanami Track.

The Mitchell Falls Rd was being graded when we were there but the ungraded sections were badly corrugated. Plus there were large loose rocks randomly scattered around, bedrock sticking out from the surface and corners. The combination meant it was hard to get up any speed and so the corrugations made for a tough trip.

In contrast, we found the Tanami Track to be fine. We did most of it at 8-100km/hr. There were some corrugated sections and some sandy sections but it was nothing too bad. The road into Wolf Creek Crater is corrugated but only 20km long. We got from Wolf Creek Crater (at sunrise) to the last rest stop before Alice Springs in a day without too much trouble.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 612562

Reply By: Member - Judy and Laurie - Tuesday, Jul 18, 2017 at 22:03

Tuesday, Jul 18, 2017 at 22:03
Did the Gibb River Road 2 weeks ago and the Tanami 4 days ago the Gibb is far worse that the Tanami.
Still enjoyed them both.
AnswerID: 612609

Sponsored Links