Dinosaurs & Opals

Submitted: Monday, Jun 07, 2004 at 15:25
ThreadID: 13535 Views:1590 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Taking our young fellas to hunt for dinosaurs and opals in the July school holidays. Planning on visiting Currawinya NP, Thargomindah, Quiplie, Welford NP, Diamantina NP, Lark Quarry, Winton and then back home (Canberra) via Landsborough & Mitchell Hwys.

Was wondering about the state of rivers and lakes, the mozzies & flies, the fishing, camping spots and all other pleasures and challenges we might meet on the way. Especially any info on the Welford/Diamantina/Winton leg.

Has anyone been up there lately or the same time of year before.

Thanks and its great to see a site like this.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Andrew & Jen (Melb) - Monday, Jun 07, 2004 at 18:22

Monday, Jun 07, 2004 at 18:22
HI Artur

We took ourselves and 3 kids north from Melbourne, up the Birdsville track and into the Diamantina NP in April this year. We camped by Lake Constance, endured temperatures in the high 30's, zillions of flies and when they went to bed at dark, zillions of bugs!! Spent hours trying to catch fish that the ranger told us about.......didn't get a nibble. Left there after an uncomfortable night of heat and bugs and went to Hunters Gorge which was a much prettier spot. Tried the fishing again, actually had heaps of bites, but alas, not a fish for dinner! There are a number of great spots, but we were on a tight schedule. Get a hold of the Westprint map of the Diamantina lakes. Worth having, if you don't already. I am sure the weather is much better now and maybe the flies aren't so bad. LOL

Visited Larks Quarry and the kids loved it. Amazing to see the number of footprints of both big and small Dinosaurs. Headed to Winton and headed for the Tatts Pub that Bob Y from the forum had recommended for dinner. Best food ever, sitting out on footpath. The seafood basket was HUGE and tasted great.......in fact everything was delicious and even better because I didn't have to cook it. ( I figured I deserved a break that night). Lots to see in Winton, great country town.

Enjoy your trip. I would love to go back again, just not in April when it was so hot!

Jen
AnswerID: 62105

Follow Up By: Artur - Monday, Jun 07, 2004 at 18:53

Monday, Jun 07, 2004 at 18:53
Hi

Thanks for your response and the camping tips. As it happens I bought the Westprint Diamantina map earlier today, its got lots of good info. I reckon we will be indulging ourselves at the Tatts but hopefully will want a change from fish after all the big hauls we will have in the gorge. LOL

Artur
FollowupID: 323458

Reply By: Brad - Monday, Jun 07, 2004 at 19:32

Monday, Jun 07, 2004 at 19:32
Artur,
Sounds like a great trip, and one we are planning to do either next year or '06 with our lads (5 & 7).
I was thinking from Diamantina of heading down to Birdsville if time allowed - friends who have been there had a great time.
Please hit me (here or off-line) with your experiences when you get back.
Only real help I can be is we drove to Alice Springs ( Sydney return) a couple of years ago at the end of April and the flies were just beginning to ease off (the temperatures were beautiful night and day), and been outback NSW in July hols where it got in the minuses celsius - so take your woolies.
I'm sure you'll have a great time.
Brad.
AnswerID: 62124

Follow Up By: Artur - Wednesday, Jun 09, 2004 at 21:16

Wednesday, Jun 09, 2004 at 21:16
Hi Brad

Woollies will be packed and ready. I will post a suumary of the trip and also email you when we get back
FollowupID: 323805

Sponsored Links