2017 Toyota Hilux

Submitted: Sunday, Aug 13, 2017 at 21:24
ThreadID: 135393 Views:7123 Replies:11 FollowUps:19
This Thread has been Archived
I know it's pretty early in the model run but has anyone had experience with the latest version of the Hilux?
Particularly interested in those who may use one as a tow vehicle for a caravan.

Cheers
Pop
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: IvanTheTerrible - Sunday, Aug 13, 2017 at 21:39

Sunday, Aug 13, 2017 at 21:39
If you are a Hilux fan you'll buy one no matter what is said here, if not there are better vehicles out there
AnswerID: 613042

Follow Up By: Member - David M (SA) - Sunday, Aug 13, 2017 at 23:01

Sunday, Aug 13, 2017 at 23:01
And they are.
Dave.
FollowupID: 883421

Reply By: cruiser 3 - Monday, Aug 14, 2017 at 09:31

Monday, Aug 14, 2017 at 09:31
I decided on a Ford Ranger after having Landcruisers since 1975. My decision was based on a 5 cyl versus a 4 cyl. I don't like the idea of squeezing high power out of a small engine. My Ranger is a 2016 3.2 auto and have just taken delivery of my new Jayco.
The Jayco weighs 2250 loaded and I am so tremendously happy with the way the Ranger handles it.
The van was purchased from Jayco Sydney where everything was really thoroughly explained then we set off down the coast to Batemans Bay then up the mountains to Bungendore. For anyone unfamiliar with this road it is not only steep but seems to go on forever.
Anyway the fuel consumption was impressive at 14.2 l/ 100ks checked over 860 kilometres by the filll and maths method which turned out to be very close to the cars computer reading. This was sitting on an average speed of 90 k.
Engine and gearbox temperatures when driving without the van are 88 and 100 respectively these temps didn't change much except on one very long steep section the engine reached 90 deg and the gearbox 108. I think this shows that the Ranger could pull a caravan up one of the most challenging highways with ease.
I know Ford and other duel cabs claim to be able to tow 3500 kg but I am from the old school where it was said that the loaded weigh of the caravan should not exceed the unladen weight of the tow vehicle.
I am equally pleased with my Jayco, everything on it worked as intended. Around caravan parks I heard horror stories from people with more expensive vans than the Jayco who claim they had long lists of problems with their new caravans.
I hope this info may be of interest to anyone considering the purchase of a vehicle to tow a caravan.
AnswerID: 613054

Follow Up By: Member - bbuzz (NSW) - Monday, Aug 14, 2017 at 13:59

Monday, Aug 14, 2017 at 13:59
Keep those fingers crossed for your Jayco. The stories you hear about Jaycos are true and quite disappointing for the amount of money you spend.

Good to hear about the Ranger. They are the facts you need to make the final; decision.

bill
Bill B

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 883444

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Monday, Aug 14, 2017 at 14:06

Monday, Aug 14, 2017 at 14:06
cruiser, thanks for your reply. I did have a look at and a test drive of the Ford Ranger both in extra and dual cab configurations. They are certainly well equipped from the perspective of some handy and some, IMHO a little gimmicky features.
I will be getting an auto regardless of the brand but if I was looking at a manual the gear ratios of the Ranger box could just have tipped the scales in it's favor.
I did some research with regards to parts pricing, and while I do understand that any vehicle, regardless of brand name, will inevitably need some things replaced down the track. The Toyota parts while certainly "not bargain basement" were a bit more reasonable than an equivilent Ford or other brand part. This was true of most of the brands, although not all, I looked at after disregarding those which were eliminated earlier on.
My van has an ATM of 2800 kg so I am sure the 3.2 engine in the Ford would have had no problems coping.

Once again thanks for replying

Cheers
Pop
FollowupID: 883445

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Monday, Aug 14, 2017 at 15:15

Monday, Aug 14, 2017 at 15:15
Pop,

I have a BT50. From my experience you will have no problem pulling the weight, but watch the GVM and rear axle loading.

BT50 and Ranger have about 1.5m overhang rear axle to towball. The multiplier effect this causes to towball weight means that if you have a rule-of-thumb 250-280kg towball weight, the load on the rear axle will be 360 to 410 kg and about 110 to 130 kg will come off the front axle. Be mindful of those figures when loading the ute.

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 883447

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Monday, Aug 14, 2017 at 15:27

Monday, Aug 14, 2017 at 15:27
Frank, thanks for that info mate. I get the feeling that within some minor variations any of the dual cabs I have looked at are going to suffer from that characteristic.
I do use a HR WDH on my present ute for that very reason.
Actually I am considering changing over to the Anderson style WDH. The HR version is a bit of a PITA with hitching and unhitching but I am not sure the Anderson version will be much better in that regard.

Thanks mate

Cheers
Pop
FollowupID: 883449

Follow Up By: cruiser 3 - Monday, Aug 14, 2017 at 18:02

Monday, Aug 14, 2017 at 18:02
To Bill
You said keep my fingers crossed with the Jayco.
Let me tell you that this is my 4th Jayco. I had years of trouble free caravanning out of my previous 3 that is why I brought another! I experienced great service and warranty support from the Jayco dealers also.
I am speaking from experience not from what someone heard from someone else!!!
FollowupID: 883457

Reply By: Ron N - Monday, Aug 14, 2017 at 11:47

Monday, Aug 14, 2017 at 11:47
Pop, I bought a 2013 Hilux with 27,000kms on it, about 5 mths ago, an ex-Hanson service ute. It's got the 3.0L D4-D. Hanson traded a small fleet of Hiluxes of this age on a replacement Hilux fleet. They bought 2.8L motors.

I spoke to Angelo, the maintenance boss for Hanson, and he spoke of how pleased they were with the overall performance of the previous fleet of Hiluxes - but he said the new ones were definitely better.
Despite the smaller displacement engine, he talked of how much more power they had, along with improved fuel consumption.

I'm afraid I just can't bring myself to buy a Ford - it's simply because they are a Ford, and I've had too much experience with Fords highly variable build quality, extremely expensive spare parts prices, and poor resale values.

However, I know, in the luxury dual-cab section of the market, the Ranger is steadily overtaking Hilux in sales.
No doubt, this is due to Fords slick marketing, extensive range of high-tech (and thereby, potentially troublesome) features - and Fords well-designed interiors and seating.

But when it comes to the rough stuff, such as mining, you won't find Ford making much inroad on Toyota sales. Make of that what you will.

Cheers, Ron.
AnswerID: 613058

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Monday, Aug 14, 2017 at 14:40

Monday, Aug 14, 2017 at 14:40
Ron, Thanks for the reply.

I did go through the process of eliminating along the way, the manufacturers of dual cabs that for one reason or another didn't quite fit the bill. It pretty much came down to the D-Max, Hilux and Ranger/BT50. As someone who has spent most of his adult life putting bread on the table by pulling spanners I did have to try and ignore my bias against the Ford offering and approach it from the POV that under the skin it is basically a Mazda. I do regard their products as being quite good. The only reason Mazda didn't a get start and the Ford did, was that their closest dealer was a fair trek away compared to the other three mentioned brands.
Both the wife and I found the Ranger to be slightly ahead from an ergonomic perspective.
My son is the maintenance superintendent at one of the Pilbara iron ore port loading docks so I ran the prospective purchase past him and asked him to have a bit of a chat with one of the light vehicle supervisors. Apparently they have replaced their mainly Toyota fleet with Rangers. This was because of the requirement of the 5 or 6 star safety rating. At the time, a few years ago, the Hilux current model didn't meet the required rating, whatever that was.
Obviously the environment, multiple users and general work they are subjected to will not be all that relevant to what I will be needing, but it's still nice to know how they are standing up.
From what my young bloke was told the Rangers are experiencing a fair bit more down time compared to the previous model Hiluxes. Mostly from electronic issues. Now this may just be lack of familiarity with the new vehicles by the maintenance guys and gals, but.......???? and I am certainly not trying to say that the Toyota fleet was trouble free.

Cheers
Pop
FollowupID: 883446

Reply By: SKEB - Monday, Aug 14, 2017 at 13:00

Monday, Aug 14, 2017 at 13:00
G'day Pop,

I have recently upgrade from a 15 y/o Prado to the current model Hilux. Mine is a 2016, 2.8 diesel Auto SR5 dual cab.
I spent 6 months procrastinating and test driving all the dual cabs (except Amarok-not sure why, just never got to it) and found that for me the Hilux had the best mix of comfort, performance and drive-ability. Some I drove had better engines, some were more comfortable and some were cheaper or drove better, but for me the Hilux suited me better overall. Once I decided on the car I found a one y/o Hilux for a good price.
There are a couple of issues known to the model :

1. Fuel tank distance to empty is not accurate in some models, fixed by adjusting the fuel tank float (Toyota will do if you complain enough)
2. Some have a clunk through the drive train (auto models), known issue to Toyota and if affected Toyota will fix under warranty (currently 2 different fixes in place), I had mine done and all good since.
3. You cant get the claimed fuel economy figures, mine sits just under 10/100 through town and around 9/100 on the highway. Sorry haven't towed yet so no figures for that.

Apart from that they are as described, a good honest Toyota ute. I have had the suspension changed and noticed a marked improvement in the way it drives and the comfort level.

As with most cars there is a forum for Hilux lovers, this is (newhilux.net) you do need to become a member to view the forum chat but there is a lot of info, mostly one sided, on that site.

In summary, the Hilux in my opinion, is a good buy if you can get a good deal, it does what it says it will, has a few known issues that are fixable if it happens to affect you and hopefully will provide years of good service. But do yourself a favour and drive all the popular utes, there will be one that suits you more than the others, it may even surprise you as to which one it is.

Cheers.

Simon
AnswerID: 613065

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Monday, Aug 14, 2017 at 15:19

Monday, Aug 14, 2017 at 15:19
Simon, thanks for your reply.

Like you I have spent many months looking, turning over, inquiring and yeah, generally procrastinating...LOL. It is, for me anyway, a fair chunk of my hard earned to lay out and will in all likelyhood be my last vehicle purchase so obviously would like to get it right first up.
The Nissan Navara?? did have some good features, however the coil spring rear axle, although probably marginally better riding was a bit of a concern. Although it appears this is now changed to a leaf spring setup. Maybe I need to have another look.Now you tell me you have had to have the suspension on your Hilux replaced with after market. Was this a load carrying or comfort concern?
As far as the fuel tank goes, replacement with either the 127l or 140l poly tank would be one of the first mods I would make after a tow bar and the necessary wiring to drag our van around. I was told that either of these tanks will cause the gauge to stay on full until about the standard tank capacity is left. i.e. about 80 lt. Fuel consumption has never been all that high on my list of concerns, mainly how far a tank of fuel will get me before I need to re-fill. Within reason of course.
And a front bar. There are some big and nasty bunnies lurking in the bushes just waiting to jump out in front of the unwary motorist...lol.

Thanks again

Cheers
Pop
FollowupID: 883448

Follow Up By: Member - wicket - Monday, Aug 14, 2017 at 16:01

Monday, Aug 14, 2017 at 16:01
Pop
I have one of those 140 ltr arb poly tanks in my hilux and yes the gauge doesn't move till you get to the original tank capacity. If you do get one put in keep an eye on it as mine leaked around the alloy sender unit (?) input and they had 4 or 5 goes (i lost count !!) to fix the leak , I thought I'd get arb themselves here in Adelaide to install it and it would be done correctly, well that was a big mistake??
FollowupID: 883450

Follow Up By: SKEB - Monday, Aug 14, 2017 at 16:21

Monday, Aug 14, 2017 at 16:21
G'day Pop,

Like you the outlay for my Hilux was a significant chunk of money, however it is now both my everyday work and play vehicle so I can indulge a little. The suspension was mainly for load and from previous experience. When I do get a chance to get away I do load her up with camping gear and wanted to make sure that the suspension was up to it, part of my procrastinating was checking out the standard suspension and alternatives available. The consensus was that if the vehicle was to stay standard and was not really going to be used as a 'play or touring / tow' vehicle, then the standard suspension was perfect for the job. However towing or loaded up (gear and accessories) it would be advisable to upgrade the suspension.
What suspension to choose is much like what tyre, everyone has an opinion. In the end I went for ARB's OME (Old Man Emu) set up that was matched to my vehicle's set up and camping gear weight. The outcome of a better comfort level whilst driving unloaded was unexpected, but I will happily take that.

Good luck with your choice, I wasn't expecting to get a Hilux, I actually went into the local Dmax dealer expecting to walk out with one, just didnt work out that way for me, the killer for me with the Dmax was the comfort level, all other boxes such as engine etc were great.

Cheers.

Simon.
FollowupID: 883452

Follow Up By: Michael H9 - Tuesday, Aug 15, 2017 at 06:32

Tuesday, Aug 15, 2017 at 06:32
A friend has the Navara and isn't happy at all with the coils in the rear while towing a van he bought afterwards.
FollowupID: 883466

Reply By: Trevor&Verna - Monday, Aug 14, 2017 at 17:00

Monday, Aug 14, 2017 at 17:00
Good discussion everyone. I will be in the market in a couple of years looking for a replacement for my 2007 Hilux and its good to know others' experience. I place a fair bit of value on reliability and reputable long mileage as I like to keep my vehicles for a long time.
I like the D-Max, but then there is a transport mob here saying they are having trouble with diffs; and they run a lot of them.
By the way, does the new Hilux have the same injector issue as the older D4D motor as in my ute? Well that cost me $4K to have injectors replaced (at 70000 km), and thrust bearing replacement was another ouch.
I tow a small van; about 1.5 tonnes loaded.
Trevor&Verna, Kal WA

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 613073

Follow Up By: Ron N - Monday, Aug 14, 2017 at 18:42

Monday, Aug 14, 2017 at 18:42
Trev - Yes, I noticed the latest model D-Max has an increased diff strength by the addition of an increased number of bolts in the diff carrier - thus indicating Isuzu were aware of the weakness, and actually did something about it, unlike many manufacturers.

Agree on the D-Max seating comfort, it's definitely lacking, and the Hilux won out there, for me.

Cheers, Ron.
FollowupID: 883458

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Monday, Aug 14, 2017 at 22:07

Monday, Aug 14, 2017 at 22:07
Hi Pop

I do not personally have any experience with the new 2.8 Hilux, but a friend of mine does.

Prior to his new Hilux, he had the new BT50, and only changed up for business reasons.

I asked him why he went form the Mazda to the Hilux.

The only thing he misses from the Mazda is the extra power, but other than that, he said the new Hilux beats the Mazda in ever other compartment hands down which I was very surprised to hear. He said that he has not regrets at all and knows it will do everything he wants it to do.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 613080

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Tuesday, Aug 15, 2017 at 10:32

Tuesday, Aug 15, 2017 at 10:32
Thanks Stephen,
As you probably know yourself, when you test drive multiple vehicles you tend to scratch your head a bit to remember which one performed best. I do anyway, must be the advancing years in my case...lol.
I do recollect though that the 3.2 lt engine in the BT50 and the Ranger were ahead in actual acceleration when you put the foot down. In fact, for some reason, the Ford seemed a bit "peppyier" than the Mazda. None had anything hooked up behind or in the tray so who knows how their torque will compare when loaded.

Cheers
Pop
FollowupID: 883478

Reply By: BRIAN L18 - Tuesday, Aug 15, 2017 at 06:10

Tuesday, Aug 15, 2017 at 06:10
Pop
My wife and I have also been looking for a 4x4 ute to tow a van.
Our main criterias have been reliability and the ability to tow a 2.5/ 2.6 tonne van safely.
After considering all the Utes already mentioned we have decided upon the D-Max.
The seats are an issue but we believe we can overcome the seat comfort with additions to the seat, easier than trying to find a more reliable tow vehicle.
That is, first ensure the vehicle basic are right and Then go about to solve the other issues.
I would be interest to hear how other D-Max owners have dealt with the seat comfort issue.
Juneeboy.
AnswerID: 613086

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Tuesday, Aug 15, 2017 at 10:46

Tuesday, Aug 15, 2017 at 10:46
Brian, thanks for the reply.
For us I guess the final factor that had the Ranger and Hilux slightly ahead of the D-Max was the interior ergonomics. Mainly from the wife's (her ladyship) perspective.
I have a little 1.5 tonne Isuzu truck that was used for business purposes and has never missed a beat, although it is a previous generation low tech engine and I know quite a few other owners of Isuzu and most have nothing other than praise for the brand.

Cheers
Pop
FollowupID: 883479

Follow Up By: lkyphl - Friday, Sep 22, 2017 at 14:56

Friday, Sep 22, 2017 at 14:56
Brian,
I fitted a Stratos 3000LTSS suspension seat to my 2011 Dmax, which whilst not cheap fixed the seating problem.
The seat is transferrable to other vehicles using various adaptors when the time comes to upgrade the vehicle.
The Dmax was faultless.

Phil
FollowupID: 884443

Reply By: raincloud - Tuesday, Aug 15, 2017 at 07:55

Tuesday, Aug 15, 2017 at 07:55
I have the current model 2017 Hilux SR5 auto diesel dual cab fitted with Toyota tow bar and bull bar plus ARB canopy. I also have dual battery fitted under bonnet to run Engel in rear tub where there is also a slide out drawer. I have just returned from around oz trip starting east to west from Tin Can Bay Qld travelling about 19,000klm towing a 19'6" Franklin Arrow which has an all up weight capacity of 2600kg. The Hilux performed faultlessly and comfortably. We had it's 20,000k service in Karratha with no problems presenting. I did have a new fuel filter fitted out of caution. I might add Pilbara Toyota in Karratha were excellent to deal with.As well as towing a van we also unhitched in places where we required the 4wd component to sight see e.g. the 260k return trip to wolf creek crater(left van at Halls Ck) on the Tanami Rd which was shitty in parts and even shittier in the rest of it!! Corrugation and bulldust, 440 klm around the Flinders Ranges also on some pretty rough tracks, (left the van at Rawnsley Pk) which the Hi lux handled with no trouble. Be aware that the automatic version as mine is has a reduced towing capacity of 3200kg.Fuel consumption was a bit ordinary with a bit over 5klm/litre whilst towing and the 80 litre tank meant filling up often .I did have some weight in the tub with a spare jerry of diesel and two of water plus generator and usual stuff, (beer!!). I hope this may be a more pertinent reply to your query . In addition the HiLux was fitted with the factory fitted tyres which were rotated in Karratha the rear two being 1mm more worn than the front, luckily with no punctures. The van however cost us two tyres!
AnswerID: 613090

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Tuesday, Aug 15, 2017 at 11:06

Tuesday, Aug 15, 2017 at 11:06
Thanks raincloud, a pretty comprehensive report.
It sounds like you have rigged your vehicle in a similar fashion to what I will, with the exception that I will be getting the tray body instead of the tub. Purely a personal choice as being a little vertically challenged I find the tray with gull wing canopy a bit more useful.
Our van, having an ATM of 2800 kg should be well within the capacity of the Hilux.
One of the first mods I will be getting done, other than tow bar and wiring, will be a long range tank. Either the 127 lt Long Ranger or 140 lt poly from ARB. My aging back is well and truly over lugging jerry cans around. Also I will transfer the 50 lt water tank from our present ute.
Interesting that you had no problems with the factory fitted tyres as I am tossing up whether to replace them from the start with some brand of LT tyres or just see how the originals go.
Once again thanks for your input
Actually one more query if I may, do you have the original rear springs and shocks or did you find it necessary to upgrade for towing and load carrying??
Cheers
Pop
FollowupID: 883480

Follow Up By: raincloud - Tuesday, Aug 15, 2017 at 12:42

Tuesday, Aug 15, 2017 at 12:42
Stock standard straight from showroom and performed great. Did forget to say that the dual battery also has a redarc bcdc charger under the bonnet as well. Weight was no problem as only had at a guess200kg to 250kg at most in back. Your choice of adding a long range tank would be convenient (you can bypass the expensive fuel like Nullarbor until you reach the cheaper stuff) however if you stay on the bitumen (ie don't intend travelling the simpson etc!!) then there is always a servo in range and I refuelled once it got around half empty. The longest run we did without a servo was 360klm Boulia to Winton Q. If you don't already carry a spare fuel filter I'd suggest you throw one in just in case, never used my spare but gives you a bit of comfort knowing it's in the kit!!
FollowupID: 883481

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Tuesday, Aug 15, 2017 at 13:16

Tuesday, Aug 15, 2017 at 13:16
Thanks again. I was going to see how the stock rear springs looked when loaded as I would like to leave them as per factory but would upgrade if it's bum dropped too far. I usually have between 280 and 300 kg tow ball weight.
I will also look at fitting an extra primary fuel filter as we did get some contaminated fuel at one of the road houses on the GRR during our last trip. Fortunately my old non CRD engine just lost performance and a new primary and standard fuel filters fixed that.
What I have heard about the dollars involved in repairs for the new engine fuel systems makes me feel that some extra protection might be money well spent.

Cheers
Pop
FollowupID: 883482

Reply By: cruiser 3 - Wednesday, Aug 16, 2017 at 08:20

Wednesday, Aug 16, 2017 at 08:20
Check this out pop
http://newranger.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=10095
AnswerID: 613108

Reply By: Ron N - Thursday, Aug 17, 2017 at 23:58

Thursday, Aug 17, 2017 at 23:58
Pop, something that can be worth doing when contemplating a new vehicle purchase, is to go and hire an equivalent current model of the vehicle for a week, and give it a bit of a workout, along the lines of what you might want to be doing with it, if you bought one.

Admittedly, a hired unit is not going to be setup the way you plan to - but a hired vehicle can give one a decent opinion of whether the vehicle is suffering from annoyances that are not easily overcome - and also give one an idea of what has not performed in everyday hire use (items showing early wear).

Cheers, Ron.
AnswerID: 613143

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Friday, Aug 18, 2017 at 09:13

Friday, Aug 18, 2017 at 09:13
G'day Ron,
All the test drives I have done were pretty much an extended version of "around the block". When it got down to deciding on a couple out of the many options available, one of the dealers offered to let me borrow their demo ute for a weekend. With all the usual conditions of course.
The downside is that it isn't wire up for any sort of brake controller for my 2800 kg caravan. While I haven't actually checked I doubt that I could find a hire company with a new Hilux that is so rigged.
Most of my days of attempting any hard core 4WDing are, apart from the odd rush of blood to the head, LOL behind me. 90% of what this new vehicle will be doing is dragging said van around Oz. Maybe the odd track here and there just to see where it goes and maybe also a bit of beach fishing.
Which is the main reason for asking for opinions of the Hilux in general, but particularly for those who are using one as a tow vehicle for a caravan.

Thanks mate

Cheers
Pop
FollowupID: 883546

Reply By: Member - wicket - Friday, Aug 18, 2017 at 13:51

Friday, Aug 18, 2017 at 13:51
http://www.caravanersforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=72680&p=1064012&hilit=Hilux#p1064012

Couple of posts here for you pop, take a look at the Kedron gall boys video.
AnswerID: 613159

Sponsored Links