Doing Darwin

Submitted: Sunday, Sep 17, 2017 at 17:55
ThreadID: 135605 Views:4731 Replies:8 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Hello fello travelers, we were planning to do the Kimberly's next year but after seeing some of the carnage it can course from sister sights and i know its part of Outback Travel,we have opted not to do it only because if something went horrible wrong we would be in the Shit real quick ,so we have decided to go up to Darwin instead and do Litchfield and Kakado ,so any information would be great, cheers GD
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Sunday, Sep 17, 2017 at 18:53

Sunday, Sep 17, 2017 at 18:53
What carnage are you referring to and what is a sister site?

Sorry I must be missing something???
AnswerID: 613836

Follow Up By: Member - GREENDOG - Sunday, Sep 17, 2017 at 20:07

Sunday, Sep 17, 2017 at 20:07
FB Groups, and other sights .
FollowupID: 884374

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Sunday, Sep 17, 2017 at 22:51

Sunday, Sep 17, 2017 at 22:51
New facebook group called "Carnage in the Kimberley" started a couple of weeks ago. Already has 2500 members and some amazing photos and videos. Quite a few from the guys who do the recoveries.

Another group just started called "Carnage in the Outback"
and the other carnage group that has a lot of interesting recoveries is called "I got bogged at Inskip Point"
FollowupID: 884379

Follow Up By: Member - kimberleybloke - Monday, Sep 18, 2017 at 11:34

Monday, Sep 18, 2017 at 11:34
Gee Greendog, don't let sites like that put you off !! Most of the so called carnage is caused by Richard Craniums who couldn't drive a hot pin up a wax dolls rear end. I am sure you would do it with no problems.
PS- you will really enjoy the NT experience,
Regards, Mark.
FollowupID: 884384

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Monday, Sep 18, 2017 at 16:44

Monday, Sep 18, 2017 at 16:44
"New facebook group called "Carnage in the Kimberley" started a couple of weeks ago."

I reckon that a facebook member should start a group "Carnage in the NT" and see how it grows. It probably would not be far behind the others, particularly with the high speed carnage up the Stuart Highway.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 884388

Follow Up By: Member - Munji - Tuesday, Sep 19, 2017 at 15:11

Tuesday, Sep 19, 2017 at 15:11
Disappointing there is such a group.
Then again it would be useful reference for those that dont plan and are in too much of a rush.
Probably a good thing as it may keep more of the idiots away from the area.
FollowupID: 884406

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Sunday, Sep 17, 2017 at 19:10

Sunday, Sep 17, 2017 at 19:10
In Darwin:

Mindel Beach Markets-Sunday & Thursday nights,
Stokes Hill Wharf-fish 'n chips & other tucker & drinks, open air dining.
Aircraft Museum-see B-52, Bell Cobra & heaps other aircraft.
Military Museum,
Underground WWII fuel tanks, near Stokes Hill wharf,

Kakadu:
Go everywhere, but watch out for crocs around Cahill's Crossing,
Recommend staying at Cooinda, first in, best dressed for campsites, but absolute best showers you would get anywhere! Just watch out for those who don't wash their hands after...........well, you get the drift!
Worth going up the old Jim Jim road, both back to Darwin and also up to the old Cooinda Store. Saw corrugations there about 4' apart, but still worth a look.
Get heart racing and walk up to top of Gumlon Falls.
Ubirr is still as good as when Mick was there.

Haven't been to Litchfield.

Worth checking out some of the WWII airfields on the way too, Greendog. We went into Gorrie field, found remains of some of the buildings but didn't go far enough to check the 'strip out. :-(

Enjoy,
Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 613837

Follow Up By: Member - GREENDOG - Sunday, Sep 17, 2017 at 20:03

Sunday, Sep 17, 2017 at 20:03
Awesome info Bob ,Thanks for your input
FollowupID: 884373

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Monday, Sep 18, 2017 at 11:04

Monday, Sep 18, 2017 at 11:04
As Bob has written, there is heaps of WW11 memorabilia in the Darwin area if you are into that sort of stuff.
Take a drive out on the Cox Peninsula road and have a look at the crash site of the B-24 Liberator "Milady" that went down out there returning from a practice bombing run.
A lot has been souvineered over the years but still worth a look I reckon.

Also head out to Berry Springs and have a look at the Nature Park well worth the short run. While in that area, take the turnoff to Crazy Acres mango farm. They make a mango smoothy to die for as well as a heap of other delish mango stuff.

We actually stayed at the CP out that way. Nice park lovely couple that run it, some of long stayers are...um...interesting (;-))

Cheers
Pop
FollowupID: 884383

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Sep 17, 2017 at 19:26

Sunday, Sep 17, 2017 at 19:26
Hi Pete

Here is plan C that you could do and have an absolute ball and will give you a taste of some great country.

From the Alice, up the Tanami to Halls Creek, a couple of days there as there is lots to see in that area.

Take the back road ( Duncan Road ) to Kunnurra. You can base yourself from there and visit Wyndham, a taste of the Gibb River Road to El Questro, Pentecost River, lots around Kununurra, then east on the black to.

If you still want to go to Darwin, you are then only 300 kms away.........

Then again for some unreal country and one that I can realy recommend, the Central Arnhem Highway to Nhulunbuy. There are many great places to visit up them and from there, either back down the centre or further east.

Have you ever been to Lawn a Hill, that is another unreal place.

Happy planing

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 613838

Follow Up By: Member - GREENDOG - Sunday, Sep 17, 2017 at 20:12

Sunday, Sep 17, 2017 at 20:12
Thanks Stephen , ill have a look at your suggestion mate ,and we did Lawn Hill last year was awesome, cheers GD
FollowupID: 884376

Reply By: duck - Monday, Sep 18, 2017 at 12:46

Monday, Sep 18, 2017 at 12:46
Don't be put off by others, recently there were posts on this site that said the Kimberly’s were over rated, it all depends on what you want & the Kimberly’s aren't what they were 35 years ago in some sections but for the most of it has not changed, the longer you leave it there will be more traffic & more closed off sections etc. etc.
If something goes horribly wrong in the middle of Sydney you’re going to be in the shit & most people will step over you, I bet in the Kimberly everybody will help
If you go to Darwin, Litchfield is a must so are sections of Kakadu & the swim at the top off gumlon falls is worth the effort as bob has mentioned
Do your homework & go where you want to, if you believe all those web sites you would not leave your front door

AnswerID: 613850

Reply By: Bushranger1 - Monday, Sep 18, 2017 at 13:14

Monday, Sep 18, 2017 at 13:14
G'day Greendog,
Having worked on a station on the Gibb River road & repairing damaged vehicles I have to say in 99% of cases its a failure of the driver to drive to the conditions & adjust tyre pressures to suit.
I remember taking one track & I was warned not to proceed or I would destroy my vehicle. Took me 5 hrs to travel 70km's but I diidn't get a single mark on the car or sustain any mechanical damage.

Go for it & enjoy the trip.

Cheers
Stu
AnswerID: 613851

Reply By: TerraFirma - Monday, Sep 18, 2017 at 14:44

Monday, Sep 18, 2017 at 14:44
You only live once.! Go to the Kimberley. (P.S. It's not the Kimberley's).
AnswerID: 613852

Reply By: PhilD - Tuesday, Sep 19, 2017 at 23:01

Tuesday, Sep 19, 2017 at 23:01
I have been to the Kimberley 5 times in 12 years. It is a fantastic area of Australia. Yes, I have broken a stub axle on a boat trailer, and dinged my Landcruiser a bit, lost a retaining bolt on a rear shocker, broken a steel valve stem on a rock, bent an airbag bracket on my Iveco, and probably a bit of other maintenance, but have not a single regret. If you drive to the conditions, pay attention to tyre pressures, and don't try racing through the country, you are less likely to have problems. If you do, you just work your way through it with either the parts and tools you carry, or someone will help you through the problem.
AnswerID: 613860

Reply By: Motherhen - Saturday, Sep 23, 2017 at 20:52

Saturday, Sep 23, 2017 at 20:52
The carnage is from those who think they can travel the Gibb River Road at freeway speed Greendog. You can read My Blogs about Kakadu and Litchfield from 2009, and the Gibb River Road 2008. Which ever you choose, allow plenty of time.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 613918

Sponsored Links