Sydney to Kimberley

Submitted: Friday, Sep 22, 2017 at 13:51
ThreadID: 135620 Views:3449 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi

We are toying with the idea to do the Gibb next year the most we could push for would be 6wks, I know its like asking how long is a piece of string but can it be done comfortably seeing most things along the way? Or are we better off to wait (possibly a few more years) and go for longer?

We have done the centre so no need to sight see around there it would all be new country after leaving Alice and going up the Tanami.

Normally our trips are 4wks in which we have done Cape York, Centre and Simpson desert and Outback QLD.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: pop2jocem - Friday, Sep 22, 2017 at 17:43

Friday, Sep 22, 2017 at 17:43
We did the GRR a few years ago. We spent about 2 weeks and in hind sight longer would have been better but I guess we saw most of it including side trips to most of the gorges. However as we had been previously to Winjana, Tunnel Creek and Geikie we didn't go to those so I guess you would need at least another week in the area to visit them and do the trip justice.

Getting there from Sydney, I have no idea of your itinerary for that part of the trip.

As far as the GRR itself? Well worth it.

Cheers
Pop
AnswerID: 613903

Reply By: Blown4by - Friday, Sep 22, 2017 at 22:59

Friday, Sep 22, 2017 at 22:59
Shouldn't be a problem provided you don't waste too much time getting over here. If I were doing it I would get to Derby asap, do the GRR, then do your sightseeing on the way back with the remaining time you have. Forget the GRR in "the wet" and in the hotter months. May to August is probably the best weather window.
AnswerID: 613908

Reply By: Sigmund - Saturday, Sep 23, 2017 at 08:13

Saturday, Sep 23, 2017 at 08:13
You can't see it all but you can see plenty in 6 weeks and should see it as the first trip out there.

Couple of years back we covered 17,000 kms in 6 weeks from Melb with some time in the Centre, up the Tanami to the Bungles and then Broome, down to Shark Bay, back north for a sampling of the Gibb and Gibbettes, then Kununurra and back down the Stuart.

We concentrated on covering the ground when we needed to but still avoided driving at night/dawn/dusk, and had plenty of multi-day camps.

The kms add up quickly and next time I'd be taking the gear to do my own oil and filter changes.
AnswerID: 613911

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Saturday, Sep 23, 2017 at 09:06

Saturday, Sep 23, 2017 at 09:06
6 weeks should be sufficient for your first trip, but you will want to go back again.

If you are intending to cross the Tanami, you can turn left at the Savannah Highway and head to Fitzroy Crossing, (plan a stopover to visit Geike Gorge) then cut across the Fairfield Leopold road through to Windjana Gorge, using the campground as a base for a couple of days, visiting Tunnel Creek and walking Windjana Gorge.

This route would be subject to road conditions at the time you are traveling but would save a lot of time than if you took the bitumen through to Derby first.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 613913

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Saturday, Sep 23, 2017 at 20:56

Saturday, Sep 23, 2017 at 20:56
Coming from Derby, we still went via Fitzroy Crossing to see Geikie Gorge, Tinnel Creek and Windjana Gorge before heading north east on the rest of the Gibb River Road. Outlined in My Blogs 2008.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 884467

Sponsored Links