alice springs and simpson desert

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 29, 2018 at 10:42
ThreadID: 136625 Views:3711 Replies:10 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
hi all, im planning a 6 week outback adventure for next winter and i was after some input. im thinking oodnadatta track stopping at lake eyre then on to alice springs. after seeing the rock i want to do the simpson. mt dare to birdsville. after birdsville we head south and visit the flinders ranges. before heading back east and possibly stopping in at mungo national park on the way. then on to sydney with a few stops along the way. is there anything else we really should do while out that way? some general advice would also be appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Sunday, Apr 29, 2018 at 10:48

Sunday, Apr 29, 2018 at 10:48
I suggest that you already have more on your list than is desirable for a 6 week trip.
Leave some slack in the plan for the unexpected treat.....

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
AnswerID: 618597

Follow Up By: RMD - Sunday, Apr 29, 2018 at 16:42

Sunday, Apr 29, 2018 at 16:42
I agree with Peter.

Map reading ability is one thing Justin, actual travel of terrain and equipment needed and preparedness are another. Unless you have done this type of trip before, I think it is far too much, especially crossing the Simpson Desert.
FollowupID: 890629

Reply By: Member - mark D18 - Sunday, Apr 29, 2018 at 14:34

Sunday, Apr 29, 2018 at 14:34
Justin .

Sounds achievable to me .
But you won't have much time for many additional spots .
Cheers
AnswerID: 618604

Reply By: Michael H9 - Sunday, Apr 29, 2018 at 17:30

Sunday, Apr 29, 2018 at 17:30
Check out Chamber's Pillar on the way to Mt Dare. My advice is to not have a set itinerary, just a list of places that you tick off. If you run short of time, just start at the next one on the next trip. Don't fly through them just to get the box ticked. Often you find places that are really nice that you might want to spend more time at that weren't even on your list. For instance, it's a really nice place out west of Alice in the ranges. Palm Valley is beautiful and probably not on your list. Have a nice trip.
AnswerID: 618606

Follow Up By: justin o1 - Sunday, Apr 29, 2018 at 19:46

Sunday, Apr 29, 2018 at 19:46
the itinerary isnt set. i dont like to travel with one if possible unless campsites need to be booked. thanks for the palm valley idea, it looks really nice.
FollowupID: 890632

Reply By: Member - McLaren3030 - Sunday, Apr 29, 2018 at 18:57

Sunday, Apr 29, 2018 at 18:57
Hi Justin, if you are crossing the Simpson, you will see Popells corner. If you head east out of Birdsville, don’t forget to stop at the Betoota Pub, and then if you take the Planet Downs Road you will be able to stop at Haddon Corner on your way down to Innaminka & the Bourke & Wills Dig Tree. Then you can take the Strezlecki track to Cameron Corner. You will then have ticked off three state boundary corners.

After Cameron Corner, you head for Tibooburra, and on to Broken Hill before going down to Mungo.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 618608

Follow Up By: justin o1 - Sunday, Apr 29, 2018 at 19:37

Sunday, Apr 29, 2018 at 19:37
adding the darling river run to the trip. i like your thinking.
FollowupID: 890631

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Tuesday, May 01, 2018 at 12:20

Tuesday, May 01, 2018 at 12:20
Justin, FYI, Birdsville is on the Diamantina River, & Innamincka is on the Cooper Creek.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 890666

Reply By: Member - nick b boab - Sunday, Apr 29, 2018 at 20:01

Sunday, Apr 29, 2018 at 20:01
G'day Justin : presuming you are coming from Sydney area I would suggest doing the Flinders on the way up ,then Oodnadatta track back out to Stuart Highway then out to the rock , then on to Alice Springs where there is any amount of adventures between Yulara and Alice Springs.
I would suggest some good research in to Alice Springs area to see what you would like to explore , there is so many things to see .
You haven't said if you are travelling alone or in a party nor your experience in outback travel in regards to crossing the Simpson Desert .
I do think that 6 weeks is adequate time for this trip but i would do the main places you want to see on the way up so so you don't run out of time . Google says 30 hours from Sydney to Alice Springs , that's about 2 weeks out of your planned schedule leaving approximately another 4 weeks 4 adventures .
This website has any amount of information for your trip scroll to the bottom of the page for more info cluding a very detailed map of places good luck and good travels
Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 618609

Reply By: Member - DingoBlue(WA) - Sunday, Apr 29, 2018 at 20:53

Sunday, Apr 29, 2018 at 20:53
If you're around Alice, "The Rock" is probably a must see but I think you'll find Kata Tjuta far more satisfying and attractive. Also approx 110 meters higher than "the Rock". Walk the Valley of the Winds.
The West McDonald ranges out to Glen Helen is a great days drive with fantastic gorges and swimming holes. Visit Bo Jangles pub in Alice for a real experience.
The Simpson is an easy 4 days drive with plenty of traffic so no need to be worried about being stuck by yourself.
Rather a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 618610

Follow Up By: Member - nick b boab - Monday, Apr 30, 2018 at 13:03

Monday, Apr 30, 2018 at 13:03
Dingoblue : it's not being stuck that would concern me in such a busy place as the Simpsons but the huge cost that recovery if you
Need help & you're on your own .
Last year when we were out that way there was a bloke trying to get a motorbike and rider picked up and from what I can gather was having a great deal of trouble .
Cheers Nick b

FollowupID: 890642

Follow Up By: Member - DingoBlue(WA) - Monday, Apr 30, 2018 at 16:47

Monday, Apr 30, 2018 at 16:47
Hi Nick,
you're right about the recovery costs on the Simpson. You can alleviate the pain somewhat with Club 4x4 insurance with the additional recovery option. Having said that,the Simpson is one of the easiest 4wd tracks to traverse. As long as your tyre pressures are right, you're not overloaded and you don't drive like a maniac, there's very little chance you will encounter any problems.
Rather a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 890648

Follow Up By: Member - nick b boab - Tuesday, May 01, 2018 at 07:13

Tuesday, May 01, 2018 at 07:13
Dingo blue ..hahaha ...tyre pressure, overload , drivr like Maniac. like that's going to happen ol~mate
Cheers Nick b

FollowupID: 890662

Reply By: baznpud - Monday, Apr 30, 2018 at 09:25

Monday, Apr 30, 2018 at 09:25
There's been no mention of Kings Canon, which to me is more impressive than the rock.
baz
Go caravaning, life is so much shorter than death.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 618616

Follow Up By: Michael H9 - Monday, Apr 30, 2018 at 11:21

Monday, Apr 30, 2018 at 11:21
It's amazing how different places affect different people. Kings Canyon does nothing for me at all, obviously it does for many other people.
FollowupID: 890638

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Friday, May 04, 2018 at 22:05

Friday, May 04, 2018 at 22:05
While Uluru is an icon everyone Australian see once in there life, the walk at KataTjuta was probably a better ,albeit shorter, walk. The rim walk at Kings Canyon was the best.Palm Valley was also lovely and also worth a couple if days. Add features in the west and east Macdonnell Ranges, and it is easy to spend weeks there.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 890733

Reply By: Keith B2 - Tuesday, May 01, 2018 at 15:19

Tuesday, May 01, 2018 at 15:19
Don't forget Palm Valley (lovely in the late afternoon and a great camp ground ) on the way to Hermansberg from Alice, and the Painted Desert where you turn off just before the Pink Roadhouse heading north west.
AnswerID: 618628

Reply By: mountainman - Saturday, May 05, 2018 at 22:39

Saturday, May 05, 2018 at 22:39
To me
The olde Telegraph station just on the outskirts of alice was worth a look.
Arvo time of day the color change was pretty good and plenty of walking tracks.
We biked it as i was working in the town for a period of time.
Very nice scenery.
Its really very very close to town.
But everything is sprawled out.
Which i didnt mind.
Another was a good couple hours climb to the towns outlook.
Took some energy and fitness.
If you do it.
Allow 2hrs or more at least and some water.
Great views.
See for miles
AnswerID: 618694

Reply By: Baz - The Landy - Sunday, May 06, 2018 at 08:16

Sunday, May 06, 2018 at 08:16
Sounds like an exciting trip and you are doing the right thing by thinking about it well in advance.

The caution I would offer is that you need to determine what is the “main” objective of your trip, and in your case it looks to be a trip to the centre and back across the Simpson Desert.

When travelling large distances to reach the starting point you will most likely pass many opportunities to “detour”, and before you know it you’ve included way too much for the time allowed.

There have been many good suggestions of things to see in other responses, just remember, your time-frame is only 6-weeks – many of those other regions suggested, eg Flinders Ranges are trips in their own right, if you are to do them properly without just racing through and seeing little...

Enjoy…

Cheers, Baz – The Landy
AnswerID: 618695

Sponsored Links