Station Stays

Submitted: Monday, Jun 25, 2018 at 08:12
ThreadID: 136895 Views:2689 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Just returned from a small trip up to the Gammon Ranges and stayed at a couple or more stations on route. Firstly was Rawnesly Park where we bushed camped and was our 3rd return., peaceful with good walks and great facilities. From here we took the scencic route to Merna Morna Station. Wow, what a set up to cater for all types of travellers, from caravans, campers bunkhouse etc. Their internal self drive treks are worth the exercise. Unfortunately the Lake Torrens trek was closed due to drought conditions, but we did the full Heritage Track which was great fun. 43ks in 5hrs. (no for the light hearted I think- need to have some experience). From here we travelled along the old Ghan line and onto the Streslicki track up to Yerelina Creek where we turned off to travel to Yerelina Homestead ruin and then onto Umberatana station. (permission is required to enter and route to be taken, owners own both stations). On arriving at Umberatana Station we made ourselves know to the property manager and talked about the properties. We had to camp on the corner of the property, as we ran out of daylight to reach Arkaroola. Our next Station stay was Bindara on the Darling, and once again our 2nd return trip. Basic but peaceful with showers and toilets set up in open top water tanks. Trilby was the next stop for another couple of nights, and driving their self guided tracks. This station along with many of the others would be more magnificent places if they had some rain. Trilby has not had any decent rain since Janurary 2017 hence all the billabongs are dry and the paddocks dust beds. This was common even throught the north and west of the Gammon Ranges. In regards of the road conditions they were all in good shape and some like freeways. Lake Cargelligo ( nth east of Griffith)weir is a peaceful spot to set up and listen to the water fall over the spillway
but peaceful. Even with the drought conditions the country side is still spectacular to visit.
location - Warragul -Victoria
life is too short, so out and about enjoy

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 2 Moderator

Reply By: Pepper - Tuesday, Jun 26, 2018 at 09:46

Tuesday, Jun 26, 2018 at 09:46
Thankyou for your report , over the last 2 years we have started staying in various station stays. Have found them to be a great alternative to caravan parks etc.

We predominately stay in them now.
AnswerID: 619794

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Tuesday, Jun 26, 2018 at 14:04

Tuesday, Jun 26, 2018 at 14:04
Hi Garry

It's great to see you had a great time away.

Now you will have to make a return drive we the country is looking green after a good drenching of rain.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 619796

Follow Up By: GarryR - Tuesday, Jun 26, 2018 at 20:06

Tuesday, Jun 26, 2018 at 20:06
Hi Stephen, yep I reckon it would be magnificent after they have a bit of rain. I actually stayed at Clare Valley Cabins just around the corner from yourself, and spent 2 days exploring your home town. Judy had fun at the various vineyard cellar doors. There is much to see in your town, and very busy seeing I arrived Queens birthday weekend. Our trek logging had a hiccup around your area, hence Michelle was a great help in partially locating the problems as I am not an isolated one with a problem with the gps on the ipad. Following your blogs has been of great benefit, and Merna Morna was fabulous as you have stated in the past. It is a pity they are in drought conditions, and have had to shut the Lake trek because of dust, and they are keeping the stock in that area to manage. The other treks were open. Even the Dangalli trek over the border that you have decribe was good to follow, and your reports are extremely accurate to detail. Once again thanks for you great work for others like me to follow your foot steps. Many regards and thanks GarryR

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 892134

Reply By: Kilcowera Station Stay - Thursday, Jun 28, 2018 at 08:15

Thursday, Jun 28, 2018 at 08:15
Great to see what people are saying about staying on stations. It's a win win situation for all. We have met some wonderful people since opening up the place to visitors. And they go away with a bit more knowledge about life and work in the bush. Put 30 September through to 6 October in your calendars please and we will see you at our place for the National gathering! Cheers and safe travelling Toni and Greg
AnswerID: 619823

Follow Up By: GarryR - Thursday, Jun 28, 2018 at 08:57

Thursday, Jun 28, 2018 at 08:57
Hi Toni, your station was next on our list with a trip up through Innaminka and Birdsville. We are finding station stay is much more relaxing and friendlier than caravan parks. We notice some stations are going all out to cater for peoples needs, and trekking internal tracks is a bonus to absorb more of the country side away from the commercial sites done by big tour operators. We are also finding it helps the farmers supplement their income when times are a bit tough, and we are learning more about the life on the land being so isolated. Regards GarryR

Just spoke to Judy as she said we will definitely try to get there at that time, just a quick trip up and back home due to time constraints.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 892154

Sponsored Links